Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gressie

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2016
What version of iOS do you have?

And you are certain that you don't have repeat alerts enabled for messages?

I'm running iOS 10, and it's def not a repeat alert. I get a notification on the lock screen, and another when I unlock the screen

soccerjoshj07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
[doublepost=1475465947][/doublepost]Was there an answer to this question? I'm having this issue too and it's bugging me to no end!
It eventually stopped after an iOS update :(. I don't have the issue now on iOS 10.0.2 no

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I am running iOS 10.1 (beta 3) and I am definitely having this issue. Repeat notifications are turned OFF and it happens for any banner notifications that come in while the phone is locked.

for example, if I get an iMessage while the phone is locked, I get a notification. Once I unlock the phone, I get a banner notification and sound notification.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
This is getting frustrating for me... I'm on iOS 10.2.1 and I'll get the notifications whilst locked. Unlock my phone and immediately get the very same notifications for the items received whilst locked... crazy!

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Definitely related to the banner and alerts notification style... hopefully fixed in 10.3

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
If you have your notifications (banner) set to NOT display on lockscreen then this will happen. If you change it display the notifications on the lockscreen then the "double" notification issue goes away.

Do not ask me WHY they designed it this way.

Reactions: jr866gooner

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you have your notifications (banner) set to NOT display on lockscreen then this will happen. If you change it display the notifications on the lockscreen then the "double" notification issue goes away.

But it seems like people are having issues with seeing both, a lockscreen notification and then a banner notification for the same thing once they unlock.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013

This was exactly it

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This was exactly it
But didn't you already have things set up to get notifications on the locked screen and were having this issue?
This is getting frustrating for me... I'm on iOS 10.2.1 and I'll get the notifications whilst locked. Unlock my phone and immediately get the very same notifications for the items received whilst locked... crazy!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sorry I meant notifications sounds not the notifications visibly showing.
So you are saying you had lockscreen notifications disabled before but heard their sound come in (while locked) and then saw the banner appear when you unlocked? Just trying to understand what you were experiencing and what it was that you changed that made a difference.

Reactions: jr866gooner

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
So you are saying you had lockscreen notifications disabled before but heard their sound come in (while locked) and then saw the banner appear when you unlocked? Just trying to understand what you were experiencing and what it was that you changed that made a difference.

Yes exactly that. Sorry was rushing my reply before and lacked quality information. Yes I had the chime to indicate a notification but not the actual visible notification upon the lock screen itself.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes exactly that. Sorry was rushing my reply before and lacked quality information. Yes I had the chime to indicate a notification but not the actual visible notification upon the lock screen itself.
I see. But you had lock screen notifications enabled at that time?

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I see. But you had lock screen notifications enabled at that time?

Hello, for example I had type app set to not show on lock screen so the last button was set to off. This meant I got a ping. Then an immediate ping and banner the minute I unlocked my phone. In fact I got one for every item that had come through whilst locked!

8026c3e7bb5d1e9caeb567084b0ebec2.png

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hello, for example I had type app set to not show on lock screen so the last button was set to off. This meant I got a ping. Then an immediate ping and banner the minute I unlocked my phone. In fact I got one for every item that had come through whilst locked!

8026c3e7bb5d1e9caeb567084b0ebec2.png
The only odd thing with that is that, from what I recall at least, if you have an app set to not give you notifications on the lock screen then it wouldn't notify you via sound (or vibration) when locked either--you wouldn't know that there was a notification for it at all until you unlocked.

Natalianne

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2017
Try turning "alert style" to "none". Leave "show in notification center" and "lock screen" in "on" setting.
Any solution to this yet? It's driving me crazy, a year later than when this forum was active. iPhone 7 same issue. My last phone was a 5S and this never happened...same settings.
[doublepost=1497195032][/doublepost]
The only odd thing with that is that, from what I recall at least, if you have an app set to not give you notifications on the lock screen then it wouldn't notify you via sound (or vibration) when locked either--you wouldn't know that there was a notification for it at all until you unlocked.
No, I've always gotten a 'ping'/vibrate, even if settings were to NOT show on lock screen. I just don't understand why a new/separate ping/notification after screen gets unlocked. There does not seem to be a setting to fix this.

Brie Alamillo

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2020
I’m having the same issue !!! I don’t want people to be able to see my text message on my notifications that’s why I have them off. But this double notification is annoying. If I get 3 texts it will ring 3x and then I open my phone it will ring 3x again. This is stupid !!!!

Peter Thornton

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2020
I’m having the same issue !!! I don’t want people to be able to see my text message on my notifications that’s why I have them off. But this double notification is annoying. If I get 3 texts it will ring 3x and then I open my phone it will ring 3x again. This is stupid !!!!
I signed up for MacRumours after I found this just so I could reply. I have the exact same dumb problem and it’s been going on for years. I get 3 stock message dings while locked, then I get 3 banners and dings as soon as I unlock. I do not have repeats on. I don’t want my messages showing on my lock screen or clog up my notifications but I do want them to ding. I also want dings and banners to pop up with previews while my phone is unlocked. I have it set the exact same way as above. The banners are awesome otherwise and I’ve always just dealt with it because of that, but, it’s so annoying and makes me not want to open my phone sometimes or turn it down and then hide the screen until the banner shower ends. I’m not adding message notifications to the lock screen and not removing previews. It would be so great if they could add setting for this.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I signed up for MacRumours after I found this just so I could reply. I have the exact same dumb problem and it’s been going on for years. I get 3 stock message dings while locked, then I get 3 banners and dings as soon as I unlock. I do not have repeats on. I don’t want my messages showing on my lock screen or clog up my notifications but I do want them to ding. I also want dings and banners to pop up with previews while my phone is unlocked. I have it set the exact same way as above. The banners are awesome otherwise and I’ve always just dealt with it because of that, but, it’s so annoying and makes me not want to open my phone sometimes or turn it down and then hide the screen until the banner shower ends. I’m not adding message notifications to the lock screen and not removing previews. It would be so great if they could add setting for this.
As it is currently in iOS 13, preview can be configured to only appear when the phone is unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.