Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Is there any way to install Mojave after installing the horrible Catalina 10.15.1?
My Macbook gets really hot and there is slowdown with Safari and I just had enough.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
1. Have backup (a cloned backup created with CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper is best)
2. Boot to internet recovery as Peadogle recommends above:
Command-shift-OPTION-R at boot
3. ERASE the internal drive to APFS with GUID partition format
4. Install the Mojave OS
5. Upon completion, use setup assistant to restore from your backup if possible.

5a. If setup assistant won't do the job, you'll have to do a "manual re-install" of your data, piece-by-piece.

And finally:
6. Never never NEVER again jump blindly into an OS "upgrade" -- take a look in the mirror and see where you are right now!

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Is there any way to install Mojave after installing the horrible Catalina 10.15.1?
My Macbook gets really hot and there is slowdown with Safari and I just had enough.
I googled your question. There are many instructional links:

The most important thing to understand is that you will have to wipe your existing drive because the installation of Catalina changes your drive container structure (a read only System container and read-write Data). That is why a backup is so important in order to restore your apps, files, and settings.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
1. Have backup (a cloned backup created with CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper is best)
4. Install the Mojave OS
5. Upon completion, use setup assistant to restore from your backup if possible.

5a. If setup assistant won't do the job, you'll have to do a "manual re-install" of your data, piece-by-piece.

And finally:
6. Never never NEVER again jump blindly into an OS "upgrade" -- take a look in the mirror and see where you are right now!
Just want to thank you for this step by step. Super easy to downgrade my 2019 iMac. I'm really gonna miss Sidecar, but Finder was simply atrocious on Catalina.

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
4. Install the Mojave OS

And finally:

I was in same situation. I did the downgrade ok as above but would now like to keep a copy of Mojave on a usb to have in case I need to do same again if I upgrade in the future. I tried downloading from App Store but cannot find where it downloads to ?
Please advise as I want to future proof

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Zapdoc wrote:
"I was in same situation. I did the downgrade ok as above but would now like to keep a copy of Mojave on a usb to have in case I need to do same again if I upgrade in the future."

So easy, I call it "child's play on the Mac".

1. Get an external USB3 drive that's the same size as your internal drive. SSD if you can.
2. Get either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (both are FREE to download and use for 30 days)
3. Use either CCC or SD to create a bootable cloned backup on the external drive.
4. Done.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
4. Install the Mojave OS

And finally:
Can you explain Step 3 in further detail?

I’m sitting here but a bit confused.

Attachments

• FA4E919F-F6CF-4106-A2A0-7811588E6FE7.jpeg
    FA4E919F-F6CF-4106-A2A0-7811588E6FE7.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.