Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Is it possible to downgrade my iPhone 4 (running iOs 7 to iOs 5/6)? Thanks.

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
Officially, it is impossible. Apple stopped signing iOS 6 for iPhone 4 a long time ago.

However, there is a video on YouTube titled 'How To DownGrade IOS 7.1.x To 6.1.3 On IPhone 4 (NO SHSH Blobs!!)'
Do it at your own risk. I wouldn't recommend it. If something goes wrong, it could brick your phone.

I actually was in a similar situation running iOS 7 on a 4 last year, but I ended up buying a lightly used iPhone 5 with iOS 6 through ebay. No jailbreak or messing around with firmware.

KingSH007

Suspended
May 31, 2017
Yes it is. You can use your own SHSH blobs for an untethered downgrade with iFaith, or use someone else's blobs or GeekGrade IPSWs for a tethered downgrade.

skeleton11223

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2017
It's quite hard to downgrade.
Just jailbreak and dual-boot it with IOS 6 using coolbooter.
(Make sure you have at least 5.5gb available.)

KingSH007

Suspended
May 31, 2017
It's quite hard to downgrade.
Just jailbreak and dual-boot it with IOS 6 using coolbooter.
(Make sure you have at least 5.5gb available.)

That is not a downgrade, but rather, a dual boot. You have 2 partitions with 2 operating systems on the flash drive at the same time. Each partition will have half of the original storage, and that may not be what OP wants.

Oh and, downgrading the iPhone 4 is not hard at all. Remember, it has a bootrom exploit. Meaning you can force pretty much everything on it.

skeleton11223

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2017
That is not a downgrade, but rather, a dual boot. You have 2 partitions with 2 operating systems on the flash drive at the same time. Each partition will have half of the original storage, and that may not be what OP wants.

Oh and, downgrading the iPhone 4 is not hard at all. Remember, it has a bootrom exploit. Meaning you can force pretty much everything on it.
You need shsh blobs right? Tons of people don't have them.
Also, there's an advantage to dual-booting: You can use apps that don't support IOS 6.

KingSH007

Suspended
May 31, 2017
You need shsh blobs right? Tons of people don't have them.
Also, there's an advantage to dual-booting: You can use apps that don't support IOS 6.

No, you don't need them. Check my comment earlier. I said you can downgrade tethered (meaning you will have to use a computer to boot) without your own SHSH blobs: https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Tethered_Downgrade
I understand that this would be very inconvenient, but it is possible.

That is a good point, but you forgot to mention that those newer apps will be on the iOS 7 partition. They will still lose half of their storage on their main, iOS 6 partition. Meaning, if I really need one or two newer iOS 7 apps, but also some 8GB of music, videos, photos, etc, I will have to spilt them between the two partition. It would get real annoying having to boot between 2 OS-es just to listen to some music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.