Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vshah1101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
HI peoples,

I have an iPod Touch 3G currently running iOS 4.1. I am wanting 4.2.1 software, so my plan was to upgrade phone all the way to whatever the most current software is through iTunes, then downgrade to 4.2.1 for my purposes.

How would I go about downgrading? I do not have the restore file of old software i need in my computer (I am on a PC, so PC friendly directions please!) A link to the 4.2.1 software would be nice, aswell as directions. PLEASE HELP!

Epic Orange

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2011
Element X
HI peoples,

I have an iPod Touch 3G currently running iOS 4.1. I am wanting 4.2.1 software, so my plan was to upgrade phone all the way to whatever the most current software is through iTunes, then downgrade to 4.2.1 for my purposes.

How would I go about downgrading? I do not have the restore file of old software i need in my computer (I am on a PC, so PC friendly directions please!) A link to the 4.2.1 software would be nice, aswell as directions. PLEASE HELP!

All you have to do is download the firmware from online: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

That website should get you your iOS 4.2.1. Simply just go to the "iPhone / iPod touch / iPad / Apple TV" and click on it until you find iPod Touch 3G (4.2.1/8C148). After that, download and make sure it goes to your desktop (it is just easier to locate). Once you have the iOS 4.2.1 for your iPod Touch 3G, simply launch iTunes and connect your iPod Touch.

Backup first by syncing or by right clicking your iPod Touch's name on the left panel of iTunes. As soon as it backs up, go ahead and click on your iPod Touch name, and you should have the right panel which shows all the tabs and info about the iPod touch.

Go ahead and press shift while clicking the restore button. Find the iOS firmware you have on your desktop and you should be restoring to iOS 4.2.1. If you have any problems, just reply back. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.