Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Austin DC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2019
I need to run an older version of Avid video editing software (that will run on OS 10.7 and lower) on a MacBook Pro (probably mid 2012).

I have an original Apple DVD of OS 10.7 from a previous computer purchase. I get the circle with a diagonal line through it whenever I try to load the 10.7 OS. I've tried directly loading it and using recovery mode (CMD + R) after erasing the drive with disk utility tools..

I've talked to Mac tech support three times and have been told "officially" that Apple does not support downgrading and that 10.7 will not run on this machine (10.8 was shipped with this machine). "Unofficially" I've been told that there is a workaround but they can't discuss it.

I haven't found the solution online. Can anyone point me to information/guide for downgrading a MacBook Pro like mine? I would appreciate any assistance? Thanks. Dan.

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
i downgraded my 2012 mini but with mountain loin by erasing the drive, cmd r. i also used time machine form a mbair to mini but the same osx. while doing these downgrades i just messed around with rebooting and seeing what would work. perhaps trying that. there are a couple of mac osx experts who will help you do this. i forgot their names, but they are great at that!

Austin DC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2019
i downgraded my 2012 mini but with mountain loin by erasing the drive, cmd r. i also used time machine form a mbair to mini but the same osx. while doing these downgrades i just messed around with rebooting and seeing what would work. perhaps trying that. there are a couple of mac osx experts who will help you do this. i forgot their names, but they are great at that!
Thanks for responding. I get the circle with a diagonal line through it when trying to use the 10.7 DVD

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
im trying to know or remember users here who can solve this, or maybe you can't so they are not responding.
this is the best I can do!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks for responding. I get the circle with a diagonal line through it when trying to use the 10.7 DVD
10.7 was never made available from Apple on a DVD, so it's understandable that what you have may not work. A 2012 MacBook Pro would have shipped with a special version of 10.7.4. You'd be best off to get a 10.7.5 installer, or start up from internet recovery to get the original version of 10.7.5 installed. It may, however install something later.

Austin DC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2019
10.7 was never made available from Apple on a DVD, so it's understandable that what you have may not work. A 2012 MacBook Pro would have shipped with a special version of 10.7.4. You'd be best off to get a 10.7.5 installer, or start up from internet recovery to get the original version of 10.7.5 installed. It may, however install something later.
Hello: Thanks for responding. Where would I get a 10.7.5 installer? Are they still available at Apple? When using internet recovery, when can you specify which OS you want to install? I used that process to recover from a failed attempt to install 10.7 to an erased hard drive and was only offered 10.10 when 10.12 was previously installed.

Austin DC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2019
Hello: Thanks for your interest in my problem. I'm not familiar with Open Box or Parallels. Can you give me a brief education? Thanks.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello: Thanks for your interest in my problem. I'm not familiar with Open Box or Parallels. Can you give me a brief education? Thanks.
I think they're referring to "VirtualBox". Either way, a virtualized macOS installation isn't going to be suitable for audio use, so this won't be a worthwhile avenue.
Apple changed the behavior with how internet recovery works when macOS 10.12.4 was released. If your computer ever had that installed, try booting it up holding shift-option-command-R, and that should give you the oldest OS which came with your computer. Otherwise, try again with command-option-R.
It may not be 10.7 Lion that you get, unfortunately. If it isn't, you may still be able to download a copy of the installer from the App Store, if you'd ever installed it on another computer. If that's the case, 10.7.5 Lion will show in your purchased items list. You'd then need to make a bootable USB installer to start the installation process.

Austin DC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2019
I think they're referring to "VirtualBox". Either way, a virtualized macOS installation isn't going to be suitable for audio use, so this won't be a worthwhile avenue.
Apple changed the behavior with how internet recovery works when macOS 10.12.4 was released. If your computer ever had that installed, try booting it up holding shift-option-command-R, and that should give you the oldest OS which came with your computer. Otherwise, try again with command-option-R.
It may not be 10.7 Lion that you get, unfortunately. If it isn't, you may still be able to download a copy of the installer from the App Store, if you'd ever installed it on another computer. If that's the case, 10.7.5 Lion will show in your purchased items list. You'd then need to make a bootable USB installer to start the installation process.
Hey: Thanks again for you help. I'm at work and may have to do this at home this evening. There is a Mac here but on another person's desk. I assume that there are instructions available on line somewhere on how to create a USB installer? Again, Thanks. Dan.
[doublepost=1559137923][/doublepost]
Lion can be purchased from Apple:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106/os-x-lion

You will need access to a Mac and the App Store. Apple will send an email with a content code for the Mac App Store after purchase.
Hello: Thanks for your note. I may have to do this this evening.

Reactions: CoastalOR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.