Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rexone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Okay, so I have Downtime set on out daughter's phone so nothing bar the essentials should be available after 7pm & before 7am.
I have added the required apps to the access at all times list.
Out of hours the restricted apps show the little hourglass beside them. All but Instagram.
It is not in the allowed list yet it keeps showing up.
This has to be a bug of some sort.
I've tried adding it to the list & removing it. Rebooting the phone etc yet still it shows up when it is not supposed to.
Any suggestions? Of all apps it's the one I really do want blocked!!!

rexone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Gets weirder.
I totally turned off settings in Do Not Disturb & Screen Time.
I then went through & set everything up again.
Instagram was then restricted, as it should be, as it was not on the 'Allowed' List.
Now, 24-hours later, it is back as accessible despite still not being in the allowed list!!!
Seriously... w... t... f...

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Do “All apps and categories” and make sure “Block at End of Limit” is on under the App Limits section. Works flawlessly for me. Could it be that you don’t have this checked? If so, the child is presented with a message saying the limit has been reached, and do they want to ignore the limit? If they click ignore, it lets them right back in.

My only gripe with Screen Time is when my child requests more time, she has to do it one app at a time, as I can’t find a way to grants her additional time for All Apps with one approval.

05CD87A4-FCD8-4CF8-BBE5-012214F5CF28.jpeg

rexone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Do “All apps and categories” and make sure “Block at End of Limit” is on under the App Limits section.
Thank kmichalec, I have all that set yet Instagram just keeps ignoring the settings.
I have just reset the whole of Downtime etc [yet] again & it is now blocked but what has typically happened is that on the next Downtime cycle (i.e. - tomorrow night) Instagram will not respect the setting & will be available again.
I'll see if it does this [yet] again.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Hmmm. That's interesting. To clarify, are you setting it up using the All Apps & Categories setting, or are you setting it up using the Social Media category? Obviously, using the All Apps & Categories setting should block everything, but wondering if you get any different result is you use Social Media specifically? (Just thinking out loud)

rexone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Hmmm. That's interesting. To clarify, are you setting it up using the All Apps & Categories setting, or are you setting it up using the Social Media category? Obviously, using the All Apps & Categories setting should block everything, but wondering if you get any different result is you use Social Media specifically? (Just thinking out loud)

This is where the whole thing gets very confusing as you have to set so many things in different places...
- DownTime is set for 7pm to 7am.
- Only Apps in the 'Always Allowed' list are Phone & Messages.
- 'Block at end of limit' is set in both all apps & social (but this has to do with daily limits NOT DownTime)

I have;
- Totally reset ScreenTime, DownTime, App Limits & Always Allowed multiple times.
- Everytime I do this I reboot the phone.
- I have deleted & reinstalled Instagram.

I give up.
There must be something in Instagram that is causing it to ignore the DownTime command because as you can see from the attached screen shot everything else is behaving as it should!

Attachments

• IMG_1151.jpg
    IMG_1151.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 940

Emaweb

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2019
This is where the whole thing gets very confusing as you have to set so many things in different places...
- DownTime is set for 7pm to 7am.
- Only Apps in the 'Always Allowed' list are Phone & Messages.
- 'Block at end of limit' is set in both all apps & social (but this has to do with daily limits NOT DownTime)

I have;
- Totally reset ScreenTime, DownTime, App Limits & Always Allowed multiple times.
- Everytime I do this I reboot the phone.
- I have deleted & reinstalled Instagram.

I give up.
There must be something in Instagram that is causing it to ignore the DownTime command because as you can see from the attached screen shot everything else is behaving as it should!

Did you work this out? I have the exact same problem with insta and Tik tok?

rexone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I've never been able to work it out.
I'm assuming that there's something in the apps coding that means it doesn't respect, or some how side-steps, the Downtime and Screentime commands.
Who do you report it too?
Instagram don't care, they want you to be always-on, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually intentional.
Apple's feedback system is a pointless blackhole so just a waste of typing.
Fact is there are probably a lot of folks have this problem but don't even realise it.
I mean really, your kids are hardly going to come running to you & say '...hey, I thought you'd blocked Instagram, well the block's not working. Can you block it please...' are they...

Liran Cohen

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2019
Hi, did you get it fixed by any way?
I have the same problem but also with Tik Tok and Whatsapp.
On my daughter's iphone 8 it has this problem but not on my other daughter's phone which is an iPhone xs max

rexone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Hi, did you get it fixed by any way?
Hi Liran,
No. It persists despite updates etc.
I have sent product feedback to Apple multiple times but we all know how much of a pointless black-hole that is.
Seems to me that the app developers are writing code that is intentionally ignoring iOS functions as it always seems to be apps that want you to be 'always on'.
There would be a lot more parents out there that have this issue but they just wouldn't realise.
I mean seriously, how many kids are going to go running to their folks & say 'Hey look... you know how you wanted to restrict my use? It doesn't work & I have access 24/7...'

Lois Hickey

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2019
Did anybody solve this issue? I’m having same problem and it’s driving me crazy.
All is set correctly. The only thing I can think of is, I had the passcode turned off recently and she had over ruled the limit on certain apps. And now I’ve put the passcode back on downtime isn’t blocking these apps.

Attachments

• 4D64FCDD-9A92-4DFF-AA03-A5086F552C1B.jpeg
    4D64FCDD-9A92-4DFF-AA03-A5086F552C1B.jpeg
    278.4 KB · Views: 622
  • C2FFF2E2-6881-4D12-AA49-888D0E452777.jpeg
    C2FFF2E2-6881-4D12-AA49-888D0E452777.jpeg
    328.3 KB · Views: 474
  • 29F3AEBE-0861-468C-9803-A45A7D1683B3.jpeg
    29F3AEBE-0861-468C-9803-A45A7D1683B3.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 467
  • 470833AF-088F-420C-A67B-94259D015F11.jpeg
    470833AF-088F-420C-A67B-94259D015F11.jpeg
    336.2 KB · Views: 925

Remivavr6

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2020
Has anyone figured this out? I’m having the same issue with my daughter’s phone. TikTok and YouTube are ignoring downtime—Even though it’s setup properly. I think my daughter figured out how to override it somehow.

Christopher Byron Johnson

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2020
check the phone

Is it in low power mode? Instagram disables background app refresh when in low power mode, which seems to be how the data is monitored by screen time. So if your kid puts their phone in low power mode, it stops your phone from tracking the app via data flow.

Had this same issue with my child’s Instagram app being active past downtime. I checked Instagram settings and saw background app refresh was off while phone was in low power mode.

Switched phone out of low power, went to Instagram app in iPhone settings and enabled background app refresh.

Went back to screen time and enabled block when time expires. Set time to 1 min. After 1 min, Instagram was blocked.
hope this helps.

rexone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I do find this whole situation baffling.
Why can Apple not just have a straight-forward set-up function where you can say 'This is a managed device' and it allows you to set system wide & app-by-app restrictions?
I know I'm not a programmer but surely it cannot be that hard to do.
I would have thought Apple had enough clever people on-staff and that such a feature would be a definite sales plus for parents, carers, even businesses.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I do find this whole situation baffling.
Why can Apple not just have a straight-forward set-up function where you can say 'This is a managed device' and it allows you to set system wide & app-by-app restrictions?
I know I'm not a programmer but surely it cannot be that hard to do.
I would have thought Apple had enough clever people on-staff and that such a feature would be a definite sales plus for parents, carers, even businesses.
They have MDM support that's generally there for business and educational type of environments: https://support.apple.com/guide/mdm/

They also have Apple Configurator: https://support.apple.com/apple-configurator

dmniels

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2020
I have had this incredibly frustrating problem twice now -- I've actually had two problems: 1) not all apps are blocked at downtime 2) apps aren't blocked after the time limit is reached. But now, after HOURS of wasting time trying to fix the problem, I finally figured out something that worked! In the hopes that this might help others, I wanted to post my solution.

Step 1: from the parent's phone, turn off screen time for the child's account. Settings->Screen Time->Child's name->Turn Off Screen Time (scroll to the very bottom to find this)

Step 2: from the child's phone, sign out of the phone. Settings->Child's name (at the very top)->Sign Out (at the very bottom). This didn't change any of the contents of the phone (at least it didn't for me), it just removes your child's apple ID from the phone.

Step 3: (this one might not be needed, but I did this part too, so just in case) power down the child's phone and keep it off for one or two minutes.

Step 4: power the child's phone back up, and sign back in using the child's apple ID. Settings->Sign in to your iPhone (at the top).

This completely cleared all the Screen Time settings from the phone and reset it back to what it looked like when everything was new. From there, I just went through the normal steps for setting up Screen Time for the first time. When it was set back up, the problem with screen time not blocking apps was gone ... at least for now.

My child only has one Apple device (the phone), so I don't know if it would be more complicated with more devices. Maybe you have to do it for all of them simultaneously?

At any rate, good luck -- I hope this helps!

obladi

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2020
I tried @dmniels method and it didn’t work for me.

For my case the app ignoring all settings is Chrome. Oh no. It is a door to everything.

Anyone yet for any other solutions?

dmniels

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2020
For my case the app ignoring all settings is Chrome. Oh no. It is a door to everything.

For what it's worth, the way Screen Time manages Safari is not by blocking the app itself, but blocking it from loading webpages once it is launched. I have no idea if that's how it manages Chrome as well, but it might be worth checking.

Mickeyd2608

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2020
The methods above didn't work for me either. I can’t block YouTube or Chrome. What is weird is in a single App Limit I select other items than just YouTube and it will block those, but ignore YouTube. Ugh...UPDATE...After cycling through a Downtime period, it started blocking YouTube. I wasn't able to block Chrome. I also figured out there is a way around Downtime in that the kids just uninstall the App, then reinstall it and it bypasses screen time restrictions until the next Downtime cycle. I uninstalled Chrome, then removed their ability to Install/Delete Apps under Content Restrictions. I think they also may have an app that simulates screen time passcode entry and records the new passcode because almost immediately they wanted me to give them more time, but use their devices to enter the passcode and extend the time.

Last edited:

JohnnyWalker

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2005
Just put a "Downtime" block on the App Store, then they can't re-download the app after deleting it. It's probably good practice to block the AppStore for any children's phone. If you block Safari they can just download Chrome. If you download Chrome they can download Firefox. If you block Firefox they can download Opera... etc.

For some reason Chrome is presently not on the list or covered by Downtime is any fashion at all. It was in iOS 13. It's utterly baffling :(

aldoofbanga

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
This bug persists for years even on ipados 14. Only screentime that works is lock and key. Ridiculous that kids can still find so many hackarounds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.