Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illustratorDavi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
North Yorkshire
Hi

Sorry this is a rookie problem

When I upload my site using dw it uses the original images and file locations rather than the server relative addresses like this :

<title>Untitled Document</title>
<link href="file:///Macintosh HD/Users/David/commissions/currentwork/finals for colin debug/htmldream/style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
<script type="text/JavaScript">
<!--

Is there a preference or something I should be pressing ??

Thanks
David

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
london
illustratorDavi said:
Hi

Sorry this is a rookie problem

When I upload my site using dw it uses the original images and file locations rather than the server relative addresses like this :

<title>Untitled Document</title>
<link href="file:///Macintosh HD/Users/David/commissions/currentwork/finals for colin debug/htmldream/style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
<script type="text/JavaScript">
<!--

Is there a preference or something I should be pressing ??

Thanks
David

hi david

I made similar mistakes when I first started using dreamweaver, and it was all because I neglected to read the manual...

Dreamweaver works best when you plan your site from the ground up, in other words you really need to have your site structure fairly sorted before you start working. What you need to do is use the site manager- it's in the 'Files' tab on the right hand side of the screen. Click the combo box on the left and select 'manage sites'. You will then be presented with a wizard that helps you set up your site. You should already know what your root folder is, your default images folder etc. Once you've got all this set up, dreamweaver knows where all the images and links contained in your site should point to, and if they don't match, or your try to link to an image contained outside of the root of your site, it will tell you and ask if you want to move into the correct folder.

This is a bit of a vague explanation because you're better off reading the help files to be honest. I know it's boring but the key to successful and problem-free web design is organisation.

Hope this is some help.

illustratorDavi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
North Yorkshire
Thanks for the reply :)

I've just found the problem in the site definitions (as you say) there is a button in the advanced area that says "links relative to" with the choices "document" and "site root". I clicked site root and started again and when I made an external css file it has the same dialogue to click. This solves it.

Now i've just got to get fireworks to do the same now

Thanks for the help
David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.