Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
I sent a tip in to the MR team, but just in case it doesn't make the cut I thought I'd post it here as well. The folks at Dune are once again releasing a PC case in the style of the Mac Pro. It's supposed to be available to order through Kickstarter on the 21st of October.

features-1.png
graphics-0.jpg
over-1a.jpg
water-0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: thornslack

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
On the web video it looked really cheap. It's a series of independent panels, and they were constantly falling off the side of the case. They were trying to copy the thermal system of the Mac Pro, but without any of the channeling.

That and Apple legal is going to shut them down quick.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
The other weird thing is the PC World video used the 3D Mac Pro style ventilation holes. But the web page is showing the cMP pinhole style holes.

Not sure if that's because the PC World case was newer, they're trying to streamline the design for price, or if they're trying to avoid Apple legal.

Edit: Ahhhh the dampening upgrade includes the 3D holes. For whatever weird reason. So it's cost cutting on the stock case.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I find it funny how I would have never heard of this company without a thread calling them out for being total copy-cats (and sloppy copy-cats by the sounds of it)

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2007
Birmingham, AL & Atlanta, GA
And then people wonder why the Mac Pro starts at 6000.

The amount of precision and quality that real Mac Pro case is built with makes this looks like it was assembled out of tuna cans.

Oh, please. Let's not leap from a cheap knockoff case to somehow justifying a laughably overpriced and under-spec'ed $6K Mac Pro that's not significantly more special in the design dept than the cMP in its day...

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
The folks over at PC World received a prototype to take a look at. If I recall the one of the guys that works for Dune has an account on the forum, maybe he'll put in an appearance.

Awkward design for cooling. The drive cages on the front are useless and block air flow so they need to be removed to put a front rad. There's no chance to put a top rad. The rear doesn't support 120mm fans, only dual small fans.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
I really like it. No it's not a Mac. No it won't be as well built. No the quality isn't as good. But for anyone who wants to use Windows, has to use Windows, or simply can't afford an amazing $6000 machine, it's nice. If you're building a PC and want a nice case, then this should be considered for sure.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
The perfect Hackintosh case and setting up an KVM with MacOS is easier than ever, no reason to succumb to Windows just yet.
[automerge]1570879248[/automerge]
Awkward design for cooling. The drive cages on the front are useless and block air flow so they need to be removed to put a front rad. There's no chance to put a top rad. The rear doesn't support 120mm fans, only dual small fans.

There is a third drive cage for 3.5" underneath where the power supply resides and five 2.5" slots at the back where the motherboard is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akrapovic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.