Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I really like it. No it's not a Mac. No it won't be as well built. No the quality isn't as good. But for anyone who wants to use Windows, has to use Windows, or simply can't afford an amazing $6000 machine, it's nice. If you're building a PC and want a nice case, then this should be considered for sure.
Yeah but this is like every tv show you see, they have an imac or macbook pro on a desk but ‘cover the logo’ then you see a screen shot which is windows............. ?
Everyone wants that ‘cool mac’ look, coz a pc case looks crap, but won’t pay the price.
I personally hope they get sued to hell.......:apple:
This is blatant design theft.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Yeah but this is like every tv show you see, they have an imac or macbook pro on a desk but ‘cover the logo’ then you see a screen shot which is windows............. ?
Everyone wants that ‘cool mac’ look, coz a pc case looks crap, but won’t pay the price.
I personally hope they get sued to hell.......:apple:
This is blatant design theft.

It is blatant theft, and I'll be amazed if they don't get sued.

But the hostility is depressing. Sometimes I hate being an Apple fan, because we're seen as snobs. In reality, if someone wants to buy this, then awesome. In fact, if I was going to go build a desktop windows machine, I'd buy this.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
I feel like the blatantness of the copy is maybe over the line.

Buuuuuut. Imitation, flattery. Half the smart phone industry does this and Apple doesn't sue. And if someone can't afford a Mac Pro but want's to build a cheap Windows PC and enjoy the looks, well, it doesn't hurt us, it doesn't hurt Apple (if you're buying this, you're not buying a Mac Pro) and it can be seen as aspirational.

I can't afford a Mac Pro. But I'd buy this if I was going to build a PC for sure. I kinda wish I could have it running OSX, but a Hackintosh is too much bother. I'm even considering a second hand Trash Can Mac Pro.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
The perfect Hackintosh case and setting up an KVM with MacOS is easier than ever, no reason to succumb to Windows just yet.
[automerge]1570879248[/automerge]

There is a third drive cage for 3.5" underneath where the power supply resides and five 2.5" slots at the back where the motherboard is.

I saw the video obviously. I point out that a PC of workstation caliber needs adequate airflow. The rear exhaust fans are insufficient and there is no ventilation in the top and the base. All PC workstations have large rear fan, top vents and top radiator fittings but because of their attempt to superficially copy the 7,1 they missed this important point. The real 7,1 can get away with this because it uses a special cooling solution instead of off-the-shelf components.

alexandercgomez

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2016
United States
Hi All this is Alex Gomez the founder of Dune case. We started this project a number of months ago and designed this from the ground up. The internals of this case is like no other and it has been design to use standard industry parts. I did see some comments that the build quality is sub standard. Let me say that when building this case for the community our goal was to build a case that was high in quality but affordable to everyone. We use high grade aluminum 60xx series that is 3mm thick on the exterior of the case. The surface has been sandblasted with fine beads and after it has been anodize silver. This is the same process and finish to other high quality product offering out there today. We didn't find short cuts to make that cheaper but rather keep the quality to a high standard.

The Dune Pro has two different covers. The standard cover is the normal vent holes through the panel. The other cover is a sound dampening accessory cover that is called the "Dice Y" cover. This cover is mixes complex manufacturing techniques to achieve the exterior out come. This is a patent pending cover and is unique as the front pattern and surface is very different from the back surface the pattern.

accessory-1a.jpg

accessory-1b.jpg

dunepro3.jpg
dunepro1.jpg
graphics-0.jpg

As you can see from the photo's these are not 3D mock ups but very real and the quality is at a high standard.

Here are some video's:

If you have any additional questions please let me know as I am happy to answer

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I saw the video obviously. I point out that a PC of workstation caliber needs adequate airflow. The rear exhaust fans are insufficient and there is no ventilation in the top and the base. All PC workstations have large rear fan, top vents and top radiator fittings but because of their attempt to superficially copy the 7,1 they missed this important point. The real 7,1 can get away with this because it uses a special cooling solution instead of off-the-shelf components.

As far as I am aware the Mac Pro 7,1 has 3 fans in the front and one behind the motherboard. Is that the special cooling you are talking about?

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Hi All this is Alex Gomez the founder of Dune case. We started this project a number of months ago and designed this from the ground up. The internals of this case is like no other and it has been design to use standard industry parts. I did see some comments that the build quality is sub standard. Let me say that when building this case for the community our goal was to build a case that was high in quality but affordable to everyone. We use high grade aluminum 60xx series that is 3mm thick on the exterior of the case. The surface has been sandblasted with fine beads and after it has been anodize silver. This is the same process and finish to other high quality product offering out there today. We didn't find short cuts to make that cheaper but rather keep the quality to a high standard.

The Dune Pro has two different covers. The standard cover is the normal vent holes through the panel. The other cover is a sound dampening accessory cover that is called the "Dice Y" cover. This cover is mixes complex manufacturing techniques to achieve the exterior out come. This is a patent pending cover and is unique as the front pattern and surface is very different from the back surface the pattern.

View attachment 869018
View attachment 869020
View attachment 869021 View attachment 869022 View attachment 869024

As you can see from the photo's these are not 3D mock ups but very real and the quality is at a high standard.

Here are some video's:

If it was designed from the ground up, it would not look exactly like a poor mans macpro but somthing else. You have blatantly copied Apples design then worked around a way to make it work with standard components. I tend to believe this is called ‘copying’. I hope you get sued.

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
I tend to believe this is called ‘copying’.
It appears to be the same but I believe the front panel is made up of two mated panels whereas the Mac Pro is a single piece of aluminum drilled from both sides. Also, the background holes appear to be differently configured on the clone.

Given that, they may be in the clear legally. I feel sure they checked it all out with a patent attorney beforehand because, as they said, they have a patent pending on the clone.

I also think they only way they would be in jeopardy would be if they were selling it to someone while claiming it was a genuine Mac Pro case. It very obviously is not.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
It appears to be the same but I believe the front panel is made up of two mated panels whereas the Mac Pro is a single piece of aluminum drilled from both sides. Also, the background holes appear to be differently configured on the clone.

Given that, they may be in the clear legally. I feel sure they checked it all out with a patent attorney beforehand because, as they said, they have a patent pending on the clone.

I also think they only way they would be in jeopardy would be if they were selling it to someone while claiming it was a genuine Mac Pro case. It very obviously is not.

so it’s not a copy because the front comes off.
I am interested to see how they came up with the original aesthetic. Maybe they should sue Apple if it isn’t a copy.
I hope you realise how long the Apple design team spent on this, but in your eyes it’s ok if the front panel attaches differently.
As o said I hope Apple puts them out of business.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
i like it, looks cool next to a 5,1 cmp

also find it funny/good IKEA wheals fit on it, kind of cool

there is room for lots of cases and got to say nice to see a big aluminum case with no windows & easier than ripping a power mac G5 to bits for a case
Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 3.53.57 am.png

from the video

they just need to do a 'joke' review of it v the new macpro when it's out

alexandercgomez

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2016
United States

The front panel is a single piece of aluminum it is a mixed manufacturing process of an extrusion, deep draw and CNC. The front and back pattern and surface is completely different.

I hope that gives some clarity .

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
As far as I am aware the Mac Pro 7,1 has 3 fans in the front and one behind the motherboard. Is that the special cooling you are talking about?

7.1 has custom CPU heatsink, non standard CPU socket location, custom MXM cooling system, full length cheesegrate on front and back, low profile PSU, custom circulation and exchaust system. When you don't have the standardized vents of a PC workstation then everything has to be customized.

When you want to use of the shelf PC motherboard then you should adhere to the vents and exhausts agreed by the PC industry for optimum airflow and operation temperature. They came to these decisions after many years.
[automerge]1570956713[/automerge]

View attachment 869018
View attachment 869020
View attachment 869021 View attachment 869022 View attachment 869024

Here are some video's:

You need ventilation somewhere along the top or sides to release heat and reduce noise. The small area at the back is not enough if you want to use workstation level parts and optimum cooling. Apple avoids this problem by having custom cooling for every area and custom CPU location, but the 7,1 won't have overclocking. In a PC there is overclocking so vents are even more important. Your case won't support full liquid cooled system either because you tried to copy Apple's design.

Last edited:

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
A long time ago, Lian Li made various knockoffs of the cMP case.

v1kl-008.jpg

My Ryzen PC is in one I tracked down. It looks good, although compared to a real cMP case, the metal is thin and the internal frame is unsophisticated.

Not that those downsides are noticeable after building and putting the side cover on. It's WAY QUIETER than my cMP ever was, thanks to being decked out with Noctua fans and a semi-passive PSU.

Last edited:

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
i like it, looks cool next to a 5,1 cmp

also find it funny/good IKEA wheals fit on it, kind of cool

there is room for lots of cases and got to say nice to see a big aluminum case with no windows & easier than ripping a power mac G5 to bits for a case
View attachment 869071
from the video

they just need to do a 'joke' review of it v the new macpro when it's out
Trust a PC user to put a stupid light inside......it now looks nothing like a mac... :p

alexandercgomez

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2016
United States
7.1 has custom CPU heatsink, non standard CPU socket location, custom MXM cooling system, full length cheesegrate on front and back, low profile PSU, custom circulation and exchaust system. When you don't have the standardized vents of a PC workstation then everything has to be customized.

When you want to use of the shelf PC motherboard then you should adhere to the vents and exhausts agreed by the PC industry for optimum airflow and operation temperature. They came to these decisions after many years.
[automerge]1570956713[/automerge]

You need ventilation somewhere along the top or sides to release heat and reduce noise. The small area at the back is not enough if you want to use workstation level parts and optimum cooling. Apple avoids this problem by having custom cooling for every area and custom CPU location, but the 7,1 won't have overclocking. In a PC there is overclocking so vents are even more important. Your case won't support full liquid cooled system either because you tried to copy Apple's design.

While not everyone agrees with our designs, we believe that with the 3mm high quality grade aluminum on the enclosure and inside the body will have some impact of cooling performance. Inside the Dune Pro is completely unique. We have tested with liquid cool system and happy to report that it works quite well.

Let me know if you have any other questions as I am happy to answer them

thornslack

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
Personally I want a custome pc case that is a miniturized version of the original cMP, in space gray or similar black anodization, with a smoked black glass side panel, and footed like the Corsair carbide series below but with a cleaner aesthetic and none of that front silliness.

Attachments

• FA1D0342-EA96-45D1-9C33-78E0268824A1.jpeg
    FA1D0342-EA96-45D1-9C33-78E0268824A1.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 331

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Let me know if you have any other questions as I am happy to answer them

I know that you also made a case based on the previous Mac Pro (Cylinder) design. How come, given the amount of love for the Mac Pro 5,1 (Classic), you never made a case based upon that design? Seems to me it would be like printing money. I've considered buying an old Powermac G5 and buying the conversion kit but...lazy!

Either way, thanks for contributing to the discussion, Alexander. I'll check out the Kickstarter page when it goes live and I may just even order one.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I want one... it's so much better looking than the average PC case that are designed to appeal to RGB lovers. Depending on the price I may even buy one. When I saw it, my mind didn't go to "put a PC in this", it went to "I wish there was a way to stick a Mac Mini, an EGPU slot, and internal storage in this to keep everything in one case... sort of a rigged version of the machine Apple refuses to make.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.