Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
There are a lot of nice cases and functional cases out there, but none quite like the cheesegrater. Even very expensive PC workstation cases use acres of plastic and thin steel sheetmetal with sharp edges. They are arguably more modern and more functional, but the construction seems cheap.

Doesn't look like the Dune Pro falls in that same description.

Really good shots of the case. Seems very solid, unless any other PC case.

Reactions: Chung123

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
I like it, except for the glass panel part.

I don't understand why people are into that. I guess to show off their neon tubes, GPU brand names, glow in the dark cable routing, and a few months later...all the dust.

If you place your fans correctly and have dust filters then you get zero dust. Positive pressure in the case, and a filter on the intake. Easy. Got 5 year old rig that has no dust at all on the inside. And thankfully no RGB neons either!

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
From watching all the review videos up to this point, this seems like a very solid PC case. I mean, very very solid--more than any other PC case that I've seen and close to Apple standards. Linus' video is a good one to watch as he yanks the sides/covers off. You hear a solid "clump" noise, which is indicative of quality. Even the drive cage looks rugged.

Looking forward to receiving the case in January. Probably will sell the 5,1 shortly after, which will be a sad day!

If the production case is just as good, if not better (not sure how it could be "better") as what these videos are showing, then this case could be a steal at $199.

FWIW, I'm not sure why Linus was trying to cram a 165mm cooler in there. On the website, and on the Indiegogo site, it states that 160mm is the max supported CPU cooler height. There's plenty of Noctua options for that.

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
If you place your fans correctly and have dust filters then you get zero dust. Positive pressure in the case, and a filter on the intake. Easy. Got 5 year old rig that has no dust at all on the inside. And thankfully no RGB neons either!

5 years, that's pretty impressive.

I tried to do that, but it didn't work out. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I think the problem is that the input fans aren't totally pressed up (sealed) against the filter.

Reactions: Akrapovic

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
5 years, that's pretty impressive.

I tried to do that, but it didn't work out. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I think the problem is that the input fans aren't totally pressed up (sealed) against the filter.

Biggest mistake I made for decades was having not enough air pressure in the case. Always has positive pressure in the case, so the air blows slightly out of the cracks. Negative pressure pulls dust through them. I'm running a simple Fractal R2 (I think it's the R2...can't remember). It has a dust filter on the bottom which I have to clean a LOT. But the internals are almost spotless. It was the first time I'd managed to achieve it, and I think it's down to the case and air pressure.

I'm curious how the Dune would cope. I'm planning on switching to a MBP so may never get a Dune. But man it looks cool.

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
Interesting. I am looking into a new Hackintosh build myself to dual boot Windows and OS X, and this case may be the dot on the "i" (if you catch my pun here ;) )

No comparison in terms of internal elegant engineering compared to the new MP case, but the Dune gets one thing right where the MP case gets it wrong:

No need to remove ALL cabling to open it up!

SamPotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Sydney, Australia
What eventually happened with the Dune case? Did they ever deliver any?

Nothing yet. ~6 months late so far. They're saying they can't get to the factories due to COVID-19 and want to be there to oversea production. They've been giving updates but nothing's really happened with it. It sounds like they might be going to China for QA soon.

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Nothing yet. ~6 months late so far. They're saying they can't get to the factories due to COVID-19 and want to be there to oversea production. They've been giving updates but nothing's really happened with it. It sounds like they might be going to China for QA soon.

Very disappointing

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
So it seems that this project is long dead due to bad timing. I think by the time this case is finally released, the want factor will be long gone.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Did they ever release their first project, the trashcan Mac Pro style case?
No, they didn’t. The guy who started it failed on other things too. This is a big scam. Search reddit, there’s a guy who paid for a case with his credit card, next day something was billed on his card for $2k. Would stay as far away from this as possible.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I gave up, I am disputing the charge with my credit card. I am just getting a Thermaltake case or something instead. I do not believe, even due to COVID issues, that they are completely locked out of China since January 2020, which is when it was supposed to start shipping anyway.

They state they need to physically be in China to oversee the production, so the production hasn't even started yet! These were supposed to be ready by December 2019 and start shipping in January 2020. I do not think things were severely locked down until March.

This just seems like a scam. They will not offer refunds, or even DISCUSS these issues. Therefore, all I can do is dispute a charge from November 2019 with my credit card company, stating I never received a product that was supposed to ship in January 2020.

Reactions: nikster0029

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I saw this coming after knowing about their first trash can project never taking off.
I ended up with a Fractal Designs case instead. It should be arriving shortly. I am still waiting for i9-10900k to be in stock anywhere reliable so I can get my new gaming system going.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm resurrecting this case, as it does seem to have shipped some units. Its on Indiegogo and after re-reviewing the Yts I'm really interested in re-building my computer. I went with an mini-itx case and there's a lot I like with it, but there's also am a bit unhappy with a few others. I'll start a different thread for that.

I'll reach out to the dune folks to see if they can offer any shipping estimates.

I ended up with a Fractal Designs case instead.
I like the meshify cases by Fractal Designs, I could see myself using one of those - how has it worked out for you?

SamPotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Sydney, Australia
it does seem to have shipped some units.

Kinda. They claim to have sent 300 cases to a 3PL (Third Party Logistics) company but no backers (that are in the comments or discord) have received an actual tracking number to back up this claim. When probed for more info, the guys from Dune just say that backers will get their tracking number when it gets shipped from within their country. It's all a bit fishy at this point. My "contribution ID" is almost 2000 so I'm not holding out much hope of ever seeing a case.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I was not able to get a refund via my credit card and I attempted to file a dispute three times. I got tired of trying to get my refund so I just had to eat the cost of the Case.

Also, I pre-ordered the Eve Spectrum and canceled that a few months ago too. No refund and they eventually emailed me a week ago wanting my bank details? Sorry, NOPE!

NEVER pre-order or get anything on Indiegogo or Kickstarter or anything. It has been an absolute nightmare and I am just out $500.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Kinda. They claim to have sent 300 cases to a 3PL (Third Party Logistics) company but no backers (that are in the comments or discord) have received an actual tracking number to back up this claim. When probed for more info, the guys from Dune just say that backers will get their tracking number when it gets shipped from within their country. It's all a bit fishy at this point. My "contribution ID" is almost 2000 so I'm not holding out much hope of ever seeing a case.
This is the entire problem with Dune, they need to communicate. I pre-ordered the case back in late 2019 when they said they were on track to start delivering in January 2020. Yet it wasn't until March or April of 2021 where they started production?! They have lied for years. Blamed COVID for EVERYTHING yet back in November 2019 they STATED shipments would start January 2020, but apparently they didn't even start production until 2021?!?

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I was not able to get a refund via my credit card and I attempted to file a dispute three times. I got tired of trying to get my refund so I just had to eat the cost of the Case.

Also, I pre-ordered the Eve Spectrum and canceled that a few months ago too. No refund and they eventually emailed me a week ago wanting my bank details? Sorry, NOPE!

NEVER pre-order or get anything on Indiegogo or Kickstarter or anything. It has been an absolute nightmare and I am just out $500.
This is not good.
Wouldn't your CC provider or PayPal refund you....?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
This is not good.
Wouldn't your CC provider or PayPal refund you....?
Nope, because CC contacts Indiegogo and Indiegogo said the campaign is meeting their estimates, even when I stated all the issues I have had.

"The merchant provided sufficient evidence that you made the purchase"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.