Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I've seen a lot of people on these forums ask how to get the DVD Player application installed after they have installed OSX which won't install it at first if you don't have a DVD-ROM drive.

There are a few ways to get around this, the first (and longest) is to reinstall the entire OS, DVD Player and all, the second is to use a utility called Pacifist which you can use to extract the app from the Essentials.pkg file on the first install disc. The third is to use the Terminal to extract it using the pax utilities.

I've been thinking about how to do this for awhile I just didn't have the knowledge to write some sort of script to automate it but thanks to space2go on #macrumors, one was created so if you need to install the DVD Player after you installed OSX, try the script below (if it doesn't open with anything, command-i on the file and set it for Terminal) I believe you need to be root before you do this so if it doesn't work, try that.

All you need to do is insert your OSX Install Disc 1 (10.2 or 10.3), double click on it and you should have a working DVD Player in your Applications folder.

Attachments

• dvdplayerextractor.sh.zip
    923 bytes · Views: 1,519

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Thank you so much for being the first to reply to a 5 month old thread with info that wasn't there when it was originally posted.

FYI, the download link is for the 3.1.1 version and no others. 4.0 is not avalible for download which is why this script was created.

astro

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2004
I'm confused the link is for 4.0
Sometimes when people join, they can't help how old the post is...

larcolt

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2005
DVD Player 4 now installed

Thank you very much. The script worked beautifully and I now have a fully functional Apple DVD player now.

Larry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.