Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

litlirishone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2017
Just wondering, does ANYONE even use these? I'm not talking about the Still Wallpapers or the Live Wallpapers; I'm wondering about the black sheep in the iOS Settings under Wallpaper. Dynamic Wallpapers have been there ever since iOS 7 and I have yet to see someone use one as their go-to wallpaper nor have I seen any of them ever updated. The Live Wallpapers were a step in the right direction...but, what should replace the dynamic ones? Just curious, especially since iPhone 8 is rumored through the grapevine to have an OLED display.

Attachments

• IMG_7674.PNG
    IMG_7674.PNG
    445.2 KB · Views: 9,215
Reactions: Sirious

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I use the blue one a lot.

With that said, it would be great if we had some moving scenes like the ATV4 has on the next iPhone.

Reactions: simonmet

Spaniel95

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2017
I use the blue one a lot.

With that said, it would be great if we had some moving scenes like the ATV4 has on the next iPhone.

Yeah I like that idea, doesn't the Apple Watch have something similar as a watch face?

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I think they are going away (or getting updated) in iOS 11 since the 5C won't be supported and the whole purpose of them were to accent the body of the phone. Maybe we'll get white bubbles on black, rose, gold and grey backgrounds!

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I'm using the green one on my iPad mini and the blue/purple on my iPod touch. Sometimes I use the gold one on my iPhone. They remind me of the Phase Beam live wallpaper that shipped in Android 4.0.

I prefer the ink "Live" wallpapers over the betas and think some of the Apple Watch exclusive ones they showed at one of these previous keynotes are even nicer. But they don't work if you have reduce motion on (you manually have to activate them with a press).

I also really liked the ATV4 wallpapers, but don't think they make as much sense on the phone because you can't appreciate a moving city landscape in the same amount of seconds that a Live Photo is.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I use the white bubbles on blue on all my idevices. They are clean, non destructive & I have this old PC era belief that anything moving on the screen helps to avoid screen burns & dead pixels?

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
The gold above looks pretty hot

And I wish we had the butterfly ones and jellyfish ones from the Apple Watch, they're BEAUTIFUL!

I would love to use them, but they're outdated af, and they look meh

Reactions: litlirishone

litlirishone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2017
Reactions: iOSUser7

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I used to use them before I got a live wallpaper-compatible phone.

What sux is that most live wallpaper apps in the App Store don't implement live wallpapers in the same way or as well as the Apple ones. That is, they don't reverse when you stop pressing but jump back to the start. I wonder why.

Reactions: kingpushup

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
It appeared to me that barely anyone used them. Apparently this confirms it a slight bit. When I updated to iOS 7 on my iPad 4 I used one for five minutes, found it meaningless and used a standard one ever since.
As far as I'm concerned, they can ditch them and I won't care.

Reactions: steve62388

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I don't even know the point of them. I'm sure some people do.

Neither to I... The titling of ya phone, Look at that, it moves..... ok..... but I'm looking at the "phone" not the wallpaper. I guess the same reason as Apple does everything..

Many may not care, but it still looks cool.

Threejw

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2014
IT would be cool if i was able to pick the bubble's size, color, speed, gravity and background color... and maybe add diffrent dynamic wallpapers... kind of like screensavers... i want artsy modern stuff they should take ideas from the watch...

pws442

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
872DBD40-F37F-4687-ADAD-A037DB83907A.jpeg
I think they are GREAT! This one has a black background making the icons stand out and when you tilt the phone it kind of moves around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.