Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.Asa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
My iPod touch 5g just came yesterday, and I noticed that the included earpods wothout remote/mic have a four conductor plug. The fourth conductor is normally used for data from the remote, so why is it present on these remoteless headphones?

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
My iPod touch 5g just came yesterday, and I noticed that the included earpods wothout remote/mic have a four conductor plug. The fourth conductor is normally used for data from the remote, so why is it present on these remoteless headphones?

Cheaper for apple to mac only 1 kind of input for both types then just leave out the remote itself on the cord.

It is kinda bs apple does that to get people to pay for another pair of headphones. But they are free so can't argue really.

CaptBanana

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2014
Sorry for gravedigging...

Just a note the ear pods without mic will cause problems on android devices, as when the EarPods are plugged in the device thinks there is a mic, when there isn't. This causes your voice to be muted when taking calls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.