Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
In the mid-90s, I wrote Webistes by hand using simple text-editors and BBEdit to generate sites. Of course, HTML 3 was a lot simpler than the variouis standards today, and even then, I found things like effective table generation and frames implementation to be a nightmare.

Then Jobs gave us iWeb and, despite its limitations, loved it for its ease of use.

For my business, I eventually moved to Freeway Pro, and also liked that very much. It was tempermental, but very easy to use to build a site that worked on computers and mobile devices. But of course, Freeway is now EOL'd.

I've been learning Wordpress via Lynda.com. But I'm wonedering if there is a great piece of software that I'm missing that is:

Wysiwig
Flexible
Supports modern markup features without coding by hand
Supports contermporary implementation of graphics (shutter-effect and the like)
Doesn't require monthly fees
Is EASY to use
I can soldier on with Wordpress, and maybe someone knows of better tutorials-for-idiots for Wordpress than Lynda's, but I am open to any and all suggestions that meet my needs.

The site I am building is fairly simple. It just has to serve my alternative practice, with a blog and then a lot of sections that are fairly static, but I really do want to be able to use all the graphic tricks I see so much like nifty graphics as one scrolls down that are doing what I call a shuttering effect (I'm sure there's a term for it that I am just unaware of). I'd also like to have the ability to do e-commerce easily in the future though don't need that at launch.

The wisdom and experience embedded in the MacRumors community has always been very empowering, and I am hoping that this will lead to my being able to build the site that will serve me and my clients without making me crazy during the construction process.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
In the mid-90s, I wrote Webistes by hand using simple text-editors and BBEdit to generate sites. Of course, HTML 3 was a lot simpler than the variouis standards today, and even then, I found things like effective table generation and frames implementation to be a nightmare.

Then Jobs gave us iWeb and, despite its limitations, loved it for its ease of use.

For my business, I eventually moved to Freeway Pro, and also liked that very much. It was tempermental, but very easy to use to build a site that worked on computers and mobile devices. But of course, Freeway is now EOL'd.

I've been learning Wordpress via Lynda.com. But I'm wonedering if there is a great piece of software that I'm missing that is:

Wysiwig
Flexible
Supports modern markup features without coding by hand
Supports contermporary implementation of graphics (shutter-effect and the like)
Doesn't require monthly fees
Is EASY to use
I can soldier on with Wordpress, and maybe someone knows of better tutorials-for-idiots for Wordpress than Lynda's, but I am open to any and all suggestions that meet my needs.

The site I am building is fairly simple. It just has to serve my alternative practice, with a blog and then a lot of sections that are fairly static, but I really do want to be able to use all the graphic tricks I see so much like nifty graphics as one scrolls down that are doing what I call a shuttering effect (I'm sure there's a term for it that I am just unaware of). I'd also like to have the ability to do e-commerce easily in the future though don't need that at launch.

The wisdom and experience embedded in the MacRumors community has always been very empowering, and I am hoping that this will lead to my being able to build the site that will serve me and my clients without making me crazy during the construction process.

No matter what tools you wind up using, just please do your customers a favor and create something that doesn’t use a lot of wasted white space, has a silly hero image that fills the screen upon load, or is mostly light blue, light gray, white, and black. Good luck!!

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Agree about wasted white space.

Don't agree with some here (in other threads) who think large images aren't of value. They can actually transmit a lot of information on many levels. That said, I primarily envision large images as backgrounds and as shuttered transitions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.