Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freqrider

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
I have a macPRO 3,1 running HS on an NVMe drive formatted APFS via DOSDUDE1 patch and injected NVMe driver in my bootrom and I’m getting a EFI shell when booting? I have a MVC flashed GTX1070, which I hear has issues with verbose logging at startup. Has anyone found out how to eliminate this annoying shell at boot? Aside from formatting to hfs+? I think it’s related to startup.nsh in my EFI partition. I can quit the shell, enter commands, I even tried to set echo to -off? Why is this shell starting up at boot? Annoying, to say the least!

Attachments

• IMG_1967.jpg
    IMG_1967.jpg
    781.2 KB · Views: 2,062
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 5.22.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 5.22.12 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 905
Reactions: Petri Krohn

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
I have a macPRO 3,1 running HS on an NVMe drive formatted APFS via DOSDUDE1 patch and injected NVMe driver in my bootrom and I’m getting a EFI shell when booting? I have a MVC flashed GTX1070, which I hear has issues with verbose logging at startup. Has anyone found out how to eliminate this annoying shell at boot? Aside from formatting to hfs+? I think it’s related to startup.nsh in my EFI partition. I can quit the shell, enter commands, I even tried to set echo to -off? Why is this shell starting up at boot? Annoying, to say the least!

Sorry this is off topic but where did you get those desktop folder icons? The SSD, Metroid, and the Apple folder are so cool. Thanks.

Reactions: freqrider

freqrider

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
I made the NVMe Drive icon. (Copied from Manufac.website and photoshopped.) I felt I couldn’t have such a sexy drive misrepresented on my desktop with a plate drive icon!

Attachments

• Icons.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 335

freqrider

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
Solved! Dosdude1’s APFS patch did the trick! Added APFS support to the bootrom. Now boots APFS natively, instead of via EFI shell script. DO NOT FLASH IF YOU HAVE NVIDIA SATA CHIP! CHECK YOUR MACHINE!

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Solved! Dosdude1’s APFS patch did the trick! Added APFS support to the bootrom. Now boots APFS natively, instead of via EFI shell script. DO NOT FLASH IF YOU HAVE NVIDIA SATA CHIP! CHECK YOUR MACHINE!

It is always a good idea when a problem is happily no longer one (like in your case) to add to the thread title the customary "RESOLVED".
This helps the readers.
Regards
Ed

Reactions: freqrider

Craig2047

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2022

5 Years LATER!! I have dosdude1 patch on my Macbook late 2008 13.3" A1278. it runs Catalina quite well. I want to get rid of the verbose script at the start at boot up! The actual video card is an NVIDEA GeForce 9400M 256MB, its a Macbook 5,1. Under the System Report SATA/SATA express it says "Generic AHCI Controller"? Will I brick this machine if I update the flash RAM ?
Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 7.17.03 pm.png

Craig2047

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2022

5 Years LATER!! I have dosdude1 patch on a Macbook late 2008 13.3" A1278. it runs Catalina quite well. I want to get rid of the verbose script at the start at boot up! The actual video card is an NVIDEA GeForce 9400M 256MB, its a Macbook 5,1. Under the System Report SATA/SATA express it says "Generic AHCI Controller"? Will I brick this machine if I update the flash RAM ? View attachment 2207816
This model natively supports OS9, I think, when I got it the dosdude1 patched Catalina was installed by someone else

Last edited:

Craig2047

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2022
This model natively supports OS9, I think, when I got it the dosdude1 patched Catalina was installed by someone else
Hmm Sorry I just realised the MacBook 5,1 is supported its in dosdudes list of supported machines!! I should have looked sorry all!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.