Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
I'm thinking about moving my primary carrier (AT&T) to an eSim and adding Google Fi to the physical sim, mainly for international travel.

I'm aware that there are some limitations on iPhones with Google Fi, VVM being one of them. I also know that some settings need to be tweaked for non-iMessages to work. Do these changes affect the phone as a whole or are they independent of each line of service? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

It seems as though the VVM issue was enhanced today. How's Google FI working out for you?

Still looking at my options, right now I have a Vodafone SIM card that I activate when in Europe.
[doublepost=1557892482][/doublepost]
I still have my physical VZW nanoSIM, perhaps I should carry that with me as an emergency backup during international travel (I have a small case I use to carry the other local carrier SIMs). As long as I can get to the verizon web site, I could switch the line back to the physical SIM.

Where would you do that on the website? That may be a good option.. Mine is a business account, I'm the owner but perhaps it's the same?

bluetdi

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2018
Berlin & Vienna
Hi, I'm tired of waiting for a non-EE network to implement ESIM in the UK (specifically Vodafone) as I'm still having to carry two phones (business and personal). If I bite the bullet and buy a Chinese market dual nano SIM XS/Max, is there any reason why it won't work in the UK on 4G with one Vodafone SIM and one EE SIM?

Thank you.
No. Only facetime audio wont work, it is not on chinese Apple devices.

jtkboston

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
It seems as though the VVM issue was enhanced today. How's Google FI working out for you?

Still looking at my options, right now I have a Vodafone SIM card that I activate when in Europe.
[doublepost=1557892482][/doublepost]

Where would you do that on the website? That may be a good option.. Mine is a business account, I'm the owner but perhaps it's the same?
For my personal account, there's a way to enter a new SIM number for a line, I think it's under Devices>Activate or Switch device, then "activate your SIM card"

Reactions: iGeneo

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
FWIW... in iOS13 there is a feature listed as "iMessage on Dual SIM" No details nohow it works, but I'm liking the idea!

Reactions: George Knighton

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Hey everyone!
You probably remember me from the original eSIM + Dual SIM Q&A of iOS 12.

There have been some new changes to eSIM in iOS 13, thus I am starting a new Q&A specific to the new eSIM features of iOS 13. If you discover new features, please add them to this Wiki!

New features
  • Dual-SIM simultaneous calls: you can now place calls on two different lines at the same call, and call waiting works for incoming calls on another line. For this to work, calls must be made/received while on VoLTE, and both lines need to have active data. For this to work, You will need to turn on Allow Cellular Data Switching when you are on a call that isn't your default data line and have Wi-Fi Calling enabled.
  • If you have data active on one line, and the other line doesn't have cellular service and the provider supports VoLTE, service will function using the active data on the other line. Essentially, it's like having Wi-Fi Calling, but it uses the data of one of the lines. There is no ability to force this. It will only happen when there is No Service on one line but service and data on the other line. Some people have reported you can force this by selecting manually a network you know your carrier doesn't allow (e.g. a competitor's) This also work while roaming: you can have one line with data, and have you secondary line use the data of the first line without incurring roaming charges. Tested with TELUS roaming in the US for data and Freedom Mobile line without roaming.

Changes to existing features
  • iMessage and FaceTime now supports two phone numbers, and you can start and iMessage conversation or FaceTime call with either number.

Updated iOS 13 Dual-SIM support article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209086

Last edited:

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
Love this.. I'm not the most well versed on the dual sim functionality. I do travel a fair amount, have a VZW esim and a Vodafone physical SIM. Anxious to see how the new features help

Reactions: DeanL

racostaf

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2015
Colombia
Dual-SIM simultaneous calls: you can now place calls on two different lines at the same call, and call waiting works for incoming calls on another line. For this to work, calls must be made/received while on VoLTE.

But... question... that is, if a receive a call from line 1 and make another call from line 2, can the calls be joined, to talk at the same time everybody?

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
But... question... that is, if a receive a call from line 1 and make another call from line 2, can the calls be joined, to talk at the same time everybody?
Nope. But you could technically call yourself from one line and make a conference with line 2.

morley39

Suspended
Aug 6, 2015
Newark, NJ
OMG this is amazing, thanks for posting this Q&A!

I'm currently on iOS 12 with eSIM enabled, and I want to do a DFU restore to upgrade to iOS 13 (to make it less buggy). Will eSIM get removed during this process?

EDIT: eSIM survived! Yay

Last edited:

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
OMG this is amazing, thanks for posting this Q&A!

I'm currently on iOS 12 with eSIM enabled, and I want to do a DFU restore to upgrade to iOS 13 (to make it less buggy). Will eSIM get removed during this process?

EDIT: eSIM survived! Yay

Sorry for the delay! Yes, as you found out, eSIMs survive restores that are not done on the iPhone itself :)

shita29

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
Hey everyone!

There have been some new changes to eSIM in iOS 13, thus I am starting a new Q&A specific to the new eSIM features of iOS 13. If you discover new features, please add them to this Wiki!

New features
  • Dual-SIM simultaneous calls: you can now place calls on two different lines at the same call, and call waiting works for incoming calls on another line. For this to work, calls must be made/received while on VoLTE.
  • If you have data active on one line, and the other line doesn't have cellular service and the provider supports VoLTE, service will function using the active data on the other line. Essentially, it's like having Wi-Fi Calling, but it uses the data of one of the lines. Screenshot here: https://imgur.com/a/7UBR7vE

• iMessage and FaceTime now supports two phone numbers, and you can start and iMessage conversation or FaceTime call with either number.

I just updated to iOS13 and couldn't find the setting to enable both lines for iMessage. Under Message ---> iMessage there's no option to choose which line or both. Can you let me know how to enable it?

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
I just updated to iOS13 and couldn't find the setting to enable both lines for iMessage. Under Message ---> iMessage there's no option to choose which line or both. Can you let me know how to enable it?

You second line is probably stuck in activation. If you go under Settings > Messages > Send & Receive, you should be able to enable iMessage for two numbers.
Try rebooting your phone also

Reactions: iGeneo

sxc

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2007
Is the way you make calls the same way on iOS 12 or have there been improvements?

I would like a setting that says “always make calls from the default voice SIM card” and don’t remember where I made the last call from. It’s currently annoying that when I put in a new SIM card, and I try to make a call to a number it uses my other SIM card which is now roaming instead of the local SIM card.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Is the way you make calls the same way on iOS 12 or have there been improvements?

I would like a setting that says “always make calls from the default voice SIM card” and don’t remember where I made the last call from. It’s currently annoying that when I put in a new SIM card, and I try to make a call to a number it uses my other SIM card which is now roaming instead of the local SIM card.

You can already do that with. There's a setting in Settings > Mobile Data > Default Voice Line

CableGriM

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2019
Just wondering that now you can use 2 numbers for iMessage and FaceTime does it mean I can be signed into each numbers iMessage?

Like I have two separate Apple id’s (1 is personal and the other is work related). Or do I have to link the 2 numbers to 1 Apple ID?

Kinda new to this dual sim business. It appears that Telstra here in Australia are finally pulling their finger out and may be releasing eSim’s soon.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Just wondering that now you can use 2 numbers for iMessage and FaceTime does it mean I can be signed into each numbers iMessage?

Like I have two separate Apple id’s (1 is personal and the other is work related). Or do I have to link the 2 numbers to 1 Apple ID?

Kinda new to this dual sim business. It appears that Telstra here in Australia are finally pulling their finger out and may be releasing eSim’s soon.

The two numbers get attached to one Apple ID, and you can select which number to use when starting a conversation or making a call

georogi

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2019
Hey everyone!

New features
  • Dual-SIM simultaneous calls: you can now place calls on two different lines at the same call, and call waiting works for incoming calls on another line. For this to work, calls must be made/received while on VoLTE.
  • If you have data active on one line, and the other line doesn't have cellular service and the provider supports VoLTE, service will function using the active data on the other line. Essentially, it's like having Wi-Fi Calling, but it uses the data of one of the lines. Screenshot here: https://imgur.com/a/7UBR7vE

do you know if both sim can be data active and if the primary one goes no srvice, does the secondary go data active if there is data service available. for example my primary set for data is Vodafone and secondary is EE. So if vodafone is in area where is no coverage, does the EE become automaticaly data active or is it still just signal but with no data on the line?

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
do you know if both sim can be data active and if the primary one goes no srvice, does the secondary go data active if there is data service available. for example my primary set for data is Vodafone and secondary is EE. So if vodafone is in area where is no coverage, does the EE become automaticaly data active or is it still just signal but with no data on the line?

Unfortunately not :(

mzanker

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
United Kingdom
I've had my main carrier account on eSIM for a while (XS Max) but have now had them move it back to a SIM card. So now I just have the one SIM card in the phone and no eSIM. All appears to be working OK but it's still showing two data plans:

DATA PLANS
1. Primary (my number) On >
2. Used as "Secondary" No SIM

If I tap on the "Used as Secondary" plan, it pops up a message saying Data Plan No Longer Available and offers the option to Update Contacts or Close. If I choose Close it stays the same with the two plans showing but if I choose to update contacts, the second plan disappears completely. However, next time I reboot the phone, the second one comes back again.

Is there any way to get rid of it? It's not causing an issue other than being annoying by its presence...

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I've had my main carrier account on eSIM for a while (XS Max) but have now had them move it back to a SIM card. So now I just have the one SIM card in the phone and no eSIM. All appears to be working OK but it's still showing two data plans:

DATA PLANS
1. Primary (my number) On >
2. Used as "Secondary" No SIM

If I tap on the "Used as Secondary" plan, it pops up a message saying Data Plan No Longer Available and offers the option to Update Contacts or Close. If I choose Close it stays the same with the two plans showing but if I choose to update contacts, the second plan disappears completely. However, next time I reboot the phone, the second one comes back again.

Is there any way to get rid of it? It's not causing an issue other than being annoying by its presence...

Had that issue for awhile. Only a erase or restore would get rid of it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.