Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Not a fan of the pod machines, although I don't doubt that they can be quite useful in som circumstances.

What espresso machine do you have?

Nothing fancy. I have a really tiny chicken so I went with a combo unit. not the best quality espresso I've ever had. But it gets the job done and it tastes much better than anything I've had from any pod machine.

https://www.delonghi.com/en-ca/products/coffee-espresso/coffee-makers/all-in-one/bco432t-0132510002

I need a good grinder now. I've got a burr grinder, but the finest setting seems to be the same as the most coarse so it isn't doing a good job. Been using pre-ground (urg) espresso. But I would much rather use my favourite beans (Kicking Horse 454 Horsepower)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Having a nice cup of 70% Ethiopian and 30% Kenyan with hot honey and hot milk.
That’s an unusual combo, especially with the honey. Sounds intriguing.

It is a combination that should work especially well, for two reasons: One, is that all of the coffees come from the same region. Most "barista" blends still make the (to my mind) mistake of blending coffees from different continents, and/or regions, which doesn't really work, to my palate.

In French cooking, for example, very often, the wines of a region tend to go best with the cheeses - or the regional dishes - of that same region.

Secondly, Ethiopian coffee tends to be somewhat "milder" than Kenyan, which has some of the same taste and flavour profile, but also comes with a little more heft, or backbone, or strength. This means (and I have done this myself, - and thus, learned from experience - when experimenting with such blends and combinations), that if you blend them 50/50, the Kenyan will overpower the Ethiopian.

When blending other coffees from the Horn of Africa (and I'll include Yemen coffees in this designation) with Ethiopian coffees, one needs to adjust the percentage of the blend so that the Ethiopian comprises over 60% - preferably 65-70-75% - of the coffee to allow awareness of the strength of the other coffee (in this instance, the Kenyan) to come through, but not at the expense of the 'bright' and 'clear' notes you find with Ethiopian coffees.

Last edited:

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Brewed a pot of Peruvian coffee to drink while I watch my American football. I especially enjoy the smell of the beans and drink this coffee on several trips to Peru, very drinkable.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Brewed a pot of Peruvian coffee to drink while I watch my American football. I especially enjoy the smell of the beans and drink this coffee on several trips to Peru, very drinkable.

Ah, that is a new one; I've never seen (let alone tasted) Peruvian coffee. Brazilian, Mexican, yes, plus coffees from Colombia, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica (of which my favourites tended to be those from El Salvador) but never Peruvian.

Reactions: JamesMike

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Ah, that is a new one; I've never seen (let alone tasted) Peruvian coffee. Brazilian, Mexican, yes, plus coffees from Colombia, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica (of which my favourites tended to be those from El Salvador) but never Peruvian.

I'm fond of Costa Rica coffee; the Peru beans are a limited edition from Costco. The coffee is from the Cajamarca region and made up of three beans; Typica, Catuai, and Caturra.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm fond of Costa Rica coffee; the Peru beans are a limited edition from Costco. The coffee is from the Cajamarca region and made up of three beans; Typica, Catuai, and Caturra.

Sounds lovely.

I am pretty partial to Costa Rican coffee as well, and it is what I used to drink before I developed a taste (and preference) for coffees from the Horn of Africa.

Reactions: JamesMike

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This last week I have been having some Arabic (Syrian) Coffee. Picked up some Arabic (Syrian coffee) at the local middle eastern supermarket. Still experiencing between different types the are sold locally in California.

https://www.syriancooking.com/2016/02/08/syrian-coffee/

https://www.lavazza.us/en_US/about-us/training-center/coffee-experience/syria.html

What is it like?

I have had Turkish coffee (in Turkey) and a version of Turkish coffee on a number of occasions in the Balkans.

Is Syrian coffee anything like this? How is it prepared? How is it served?

Reactions: stylinexpat

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
What is it like?

I have had Turkish coffee (in Turkey) and a version of Turkish coffee on a number of occasions in the Balkans.

Is Syrian coffee anything like this? How is it prepared? How is it served?

I boiled the water and just before the water boiled I added the sugar and coffee. Let it boil over a few times until the froth like texture was on top then I served it. I was told that this was the best brand sold here locally but I will try some others before I give an opinion on that. This coffee can be bought with and without cardamon. This option is a personal preference and will vary from person to person just as tea in Middle East is often served with mint while some like it without mint.

IMG_20191124_144352.jpg IMG_20191124_144243.jpg IMG_20191124_143651.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I boiled the water and just before the water boiled I added the sugar and coffee. Let it boil over a few times until the froth like texture was on top then I served it. I was told that this was the best brand sold here locally but I will try some others before I give an opinion on that. This coffee can be bought with and without cardamon. This option is a personal preference and will vary from person to person just as tea in Middle East is often served with mint while some like it without mint.

View attachment 879079 View attachment 879081 View attachment 879082

Fascinating.

I have had tea with cardamon (the sort of tea that takes at least twenty minutes to prepare properly, none of this "toss teabag in hot water'' stuff) in central Asia and Turkey and it was delicious, and exquisitely served.

The Syrian coffee sounds amazing, and I must admit that I would be most curious to taste it; in my experience, when served that sort of exceedingly strong (and flavoursome) coffee in the Balkans (or Turkey) one was always offered a glass of water with it.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Fascinating.

I have had tea with cardamon (the sort of tea that takes at least twenty minutes to prepare properly, none of this "toss teabag in hot water'' stuff) in central Asia and Turkey and it was delicious, and exquisitely served.

The Syrian coffee sounds amazing, and I must admit that I would be most curious to taste it; in my experience, when served that sort of exceedingly strong (and flavoursome) coffee in the Balkans (or Turkey) one was always offered a glass of water with it.
Yes, I had water after it as well. In the Middle East it is often followed by a small piece of chocolate and water after it. Those teaspoon to tablespoon pieces of chocolate are quite popular in the Middle East following coffee. Usually it is just 1 piece (small piece not US candy bar sized ones) :p although some may have more.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes, I had water after it as well. In the Middle East it is often followed by a small piece of chocolate and water after it. Those teaspoon to tablespoon pieces of chocolate are quite popular in the Middle East following coffee. Usually it is just 1 piece (small piece not US candy bar sized ones) :p although some may have more.

Dark chocolate or other forms of chocolate (such as milk chocolate)?

In France, I have occasionally been offered a square of very dark chocolate to accompany my coffee, whereas in Belgium, they often serve a crisp, shortbread style biscuit with a cup of coffee (and always serve a glass of water with it, too).

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Dark chocolate or other forms of chocolate (such as milk chocolate)?

In France, I have occasionally been offered a square of very dark chocolate to accompany my coffee, whereas in Belgium, they often serve a crisp, shortbread style biscuit with a cup of coffee (and always serve a glass of water with it, too).
Generally speaking dark chocolate but as you know it varies from one person to another. Usually dark chocolate though

adrianlondon

macrumors 601
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I boiled the water and just before the water boiled I added the sugar and coffee. Let it boil over a few times until the froth like texture was on top then I served it.
That's exactly how my Dad (originally from the Middle East) makes his coffee and the way he taught me. The trick is to bring it close to boil enough times that the "crema" lasts whilst drinking the coffee. Interestingly, he never buys (and doesn't like) the coffee mixed with cardamom but loves to add a cardamom whilst making the coffee. I guess it's more tradition than anything else.

On the topic of random non-espresso coffees (i.e. not on topic to the thread title), I'm just back from Hanoi where I had quite a few egg coffees. Tried to make one at home and couldn't get the yolk/condensed milk mixture to fluff up. I used an electric whisk as I don't have a manual one. Maybe that's the issue.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That's exactly how my Dad (originally from the Middle East) makes his coffee and the way he taught me. The trick is to bring it close to boil enough times that the "crema" lasts whilst drinking the coffee. Interestingly, he never buys (and doesn't like) the coffee mixed with cardamom but loves to add a cardamom whilst making the coffee. I guess it's more tradition than anything else.

On the topic of random non-espresso coffees (i.e. not on topic to the thread title), I'm just back from Hanoi where I had quite a few egg coffees. Tried to make one at home and couldn't get the yolk/condensed milk mixture to fluff up. I used an electric whisk as I don't have a manual one. Maybe that's the issue.

Actually, I can well imagine that he would prefer to add the cardamon himself when preparing coffee the traditional way; I think I would, as well.

So, you bring it close to the boil a number of times to allow the "crema" to form and last long enough for you to have sufficient time to drink it?

Sounds wonderful.

Re egg coffees, I must say that I have ever encountered such a thing; when I was a child, and feeling unwell, or, recovering from a bout of something, my mother sometimes prepared a mug of hot milk with egg, which I always welcomed and found delicious.

I must admit to some curiosity re egg coffees, and am wondering how they taste?
[automerge]1574697241[/automerge]
Generally speaking dark chocolate but as you know it varies from one person to another. Usually dark chocolate though

That - dark chocolate - is always my preference, too.

Last edited:

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009

The traditional way in Middle East is to but the cardoman and add a few pieces with water to boil. That is supposed to be the better way to make it. I will try that option next time.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hard to describe accurately. As a quick comparison, imaging a cup full of thick custard with a triple espresso and a square of dark chocolate poured into it.

Gosh.

So, the texture is almost solid?

The traditional way in Middle East is to but the cardoman and add a few pieces with water to boil. That is supposed to be the better way to make it. I will try that option next time.

Sounds fascinating. I will read how it turns out with considerable interest.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
ok, imagine a custard that's just a touch thicker than usual. Hmm. You'll need to go to Hanoi :)

Fascinating.

Once, in Georgia (Caucasus Georgia) during winter, I ordered a hot chocolate in a well regarded café/restaurant, and the resulting beverage, which arrived in a small china cup, was indeed hot, but was also almost solid, and needed to be eaten with a spoon (rather than drunk from a cup).

Delicious, dark, and very rich, but I tend to prefer my beverages a little more liquid in texture.

Last edited:
Reactions: adrianlondon

adrianlondon

macrumors 601
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Fascinating.

Once, in Georgia (Caucasus Georgia) during winter, I ordered a hot chocolate in a well regarded café/restaurant, and the resulting beverage, which arrived in a small china cup, was indeed hot, but was also almost solid, and needed to be eaten with a spoon.

Delicious, dark, and very rich, but I tend to prefer my beverages a little more liquid in texture.
I had something similar in London. Hot chocolate that could only be "drunk" with a teaspoon. So excited was I that I was probably being served a slightly-melted whole bar of good chocolate, I asked the barista how it was made. "Well, you make a hot chocolate as normal, then get some cornflour and ....". Ah well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.