Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I had something similar in London. Hot chocolate that could only be "drunk" with a teaspoon. So excited was I that I was probably being served a slightly-melted whole bar of good chocolate, I asked the barista how it was made. "Well, you make a hot chocolate as normal, then get some cornflour and ....". Ah well.

Ouch. That could have been what was proffered to me in Georgia as well.

I will readily admit that it was not exactly my favourite hot chocolate beverage ever; the ons I prepare myself, rich and creamy with organic milk, are a lot better.

But, yes: A form of hot chocolate served in a small china cup, and "drunk" with a teaspoon, is a very good way to describe that sensation.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Enjoying my daily morning latte with Formula Rossa beans, ablend from Algerian Coffee Stores, London. I must check my stash before my weekend trip to the UK as I may need to stock up. Luckily, they sell 2.5Kg "catering" bags of this.

Scepticalscribe, have you ever tried Rwandan coffee? This sounded interesting: "The Rwandan Inzovu has a silky, creamy body with floral notes of Ethiopian coffee and acidity of Kenyan."
https://algeriancoffeestores.com/collections/coffee-promotions-gifts/products/rwandan-inzovu

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Enjoying my daily morning latte with Formula Rossa beans, ablend from Algerian Coffee Stores, London. I must check my stash before my weekend trip to the UK as I may need to stock up. Luckily, they sell 2.5Kg "catering" bags of this.

Scepticalscribe, have you ever tried Rwandan coffee? This sounded interesting: "The Rwandan Inzovu has a silky, creamy body with floral notes of Ethiopian coffee and acidity of Kenyan."
https://algeriancoffeestores.com/collections/coffee-promotions-gifts/products/rwandan-inzovu

I did try Rwandan coffee, and, while I like almost all of the coffees from Africa, I have to say that I prefer the coffees from the Horn of Africa region, (chiefly, coffees from Ethiopia, Kenya and Yemen) to those from Rwanda and Burundi.

Now, to be honest, I do not yet know whether this is an issue of quality of not, or whether the coffees I sampled were actually the really good coffees; I would be interested in sampling a coffee from Rwanda that is highly regarded, as only then would I feel that I had been able to judge the quality of their coffee fairly.

Reactions: adrianlondon

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Christmas shipping, or rather experiencing Christmas. Getting “in the mood”. Anyway, a great way to start the day with this flat white in Marks and Spencer’s. lovely.

110c38e5c291bf79d1fde8846d0283e0.jpg

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
A profound and heartfelt amen to that.

As we discussed a few times on this very forum, at the end of the day it's the small things.
Many people dream of and chase big items such as an enormous house, glory, fame, money, nice cars. However, even if I don't have anything against those goals (I myself might chase some of them), I firmly believe that nothing can compare with the first sip of coffee of the day, the glass of wine at dinner, a good food item, the glass of brandy/whiskey at night, a good book, a good view of a natural environment, or just sharing a moment of relax with one's significant other or the family. The key, in my opinion, is to just FOCUS on them as we would focus on the big dreams. When we sip that first coffee of the day, let's just sip it, taste it, explore it, without any distraction.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As we discussed a few times on this very forum, at the end of the day it's the small things.
Many people dream of and chase big items such as an enormous house, glory, fame, money, nice cars. However, even if I don't have anything against those goals (I myself might chase some of them), I firmly believe that nothing can compare with the first sip of coffee of the day, the glass of wine at dinner, a good food item, the glass of brandy/whiskey at night, a good book, a good view of a natural environment, or just sharing a moment of relax with one's significant other or the family. The key, in my opinion, is to just FOCUS on them as we would focus on the big dreams. When we sip that first coffee of the day, let's just sip it, taste it, explore it, without any distraction.

What a lovely post.

And, I could not agree more with you. Bravo, very well said.

Therefore, while it may not be possible - as you so rightly say - to chase (or acquire) many of the so called "big" things (and what would many people do if they had the "big" things - does one take pleasure in possession - or anything more than the fact of possession - for more than a short period of measured time?), it is possible to enjoy the "small" things, and to derive considerable satisfaction from, and enjoyment of, one's appreciation of quality in these small things.

A cup of good coffee, glass of (again,good) wine (preferably with good company), glass of seriously smooth brandy/whisky, good book (a real book), good view, some seriously good music (Mozart is surpassingly good for both ear and soul) and spending time in the company of those whom you love or who mean a lot to you.

Last edited:

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
cup of good coffee, glass of (again,good) wine (preferably with good company), glass of seriously smooth brandy/whisky, good book (a real book), good view, some seriously good music (Mozart is surpassingly good for both ear and soul) and spending time in the company of those whom you love or who mean a lot to you.

It's the little things that we are so oft to forget. Get caught up in the big things and stress out beyond belief

There is nothing greater than just, disconnecting, sitting back with an enjoyable book. A glass of scotch. Or a nice rich coffee.

I know it keeps me sane :p

And I agree with @yaxomoxay whole heartedly.

Even so much as I still drink coffee despite a heart scare due to caffeine. Sure now I can only have one coffee a day. But I make sure now that I thoroughly enjoy that coffee. I've thrown out my tassimo completely now. Stopped drinking Tim Horton's swill, and now make sure that I make myself that good coffee every morning.

its now winter, wet, cold. Nothing is more enjoyable than waking up on a weekend and making myself a very large Americano and just, relaxing. (fortunately, I also don't have kids to get in the way!)

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
It's the little things that we are so oft to forget. Get caught up in the big things and stress out beyond belief

There is nothing greater than just, disconnecting, sitting back with an enjoyable book. A glass of scotch. Or a nice rich coffee.

I know it keeps me sane :p

And I agree with @yaxomoxay whole heartedly.

Even so much as I still drink coffee despite a heart scare due to caffeine. Sure now I can only have one coffee a day. But I make sure now that I thoroughly enjoy that coffee. I've thrown out my tassimo completely now. Stopped drinking Tim Horton's swill, and now make sure that I make myself that good coffee every morning.

its now winter, wet, cold. Nothing is more enjoyable than waking up on a weekend and making myself a very large Americano and just, relaxing. (fortunately, I also don't have kids to get in the way!)

Wonderful post, and I love how your limit on the amount of coffee is actually a safeguard against drinking it too casually. It seems to me that you find yourself in the forced position of having to treasure that cup every single day. Yours is also a wonderful reminders that arguably negative things can actually give space to a fantastic attitude and enjoyment of life.
At the end of the day, we might argue as much as we want on the "big stuff" (see our friendly disagreements on PRSI :p), but ultimately we all desire to enjoy our things here on this Earth, and we really are more like minded than a superficial evaluation might lead us to believe. Cheers to you my friend!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Wonderful post, and I love how your limit on the amount of coffee is actually a safeguard against drinking it too casually. It seems to me that you find yourself in the forced position of having to treasure that cup every single day. Yours is also a wonderful reminders that arguably negative things can actually give space to a fantastic attitude and enjoyment of life.
At the end of the day, we might argue as much as we want on the "big stuff" (see our friendly disagreements on PRSI :p), but ultimately we all desire to enjoy our things here on this Earth, and we really are more like minded than a superficial evaluation might lead us to believe. Cheers to you my friend!

Noticed you haven't really been in PRSI lately. Hope everythings alright with you. We often disagree on policy things, but it's a good discussion and I think you and I would enjoy the discussion over a nice cupajoe

it's amazing how a health scare though can make you savour and enjoy something you take for granted.

About 5 years ago, I was sitting in my office at work when I broke out in a massive sweat. my heart racing. shakes. Cheset pain. Thought at first it was just a panic attack (I've had those) and passed it off.

all day the rest of the day, I felt really off.

Next day, woke up, chest pains, dizziness, and heartbeat was irregular. Every 2-3 beats it would just stop for 2-3 seconds, than fire and catch up.

That's when I called my brother over and asked him to take me to the ER. spent the day in ER hooked up to monitoring. blood tests and all the works.

Good news. it was NOT a heart attack. My health was actually deemed completely normal and my blood work was actually deemed "excellent"

but something was shorting out the messages to my heart. Wore a heart monitor for a week.

I was diagnosed with Premature Ventricular Contractions. And it was believed to be caused by caffeine.

I was drinking at hte time the following:
1 XLARGE Tim Hortons at 8am.
1 Large Tim Hortons at about 10.
1 large mug of office coffee at noon
1 large mug of office coffee around 3pm.
I'd than go home. have a nap after work.
than i'd drink a large Monster energy around 8pm before working out.

I had to go immediately cold turkey off all caffeine. that was one miserable couple of months.

and when I got the ok to bring some caffeine back, it was with limits. So right now, I only have 1 coffee in the morning. And it's forced me to seriously enjoy it. No more office swill. No more tim hortons watery ********. no more energy drinks (haven't touched one in 5 years).

So when I make my morning coffee. I want it to be good. I want to enjoy it, even if it's drank while driving to work.

I buy more expensive coffees now, but still end up spending less on coffee overall now that i'm not buying it multiple times a day.

My favourite coffee for drip (I use only mesh filters so that the oils are allowed to pass through) is Kicking Horse 454 Horsepower. has a nice coacoa finish. I also enjoy Starbucks "TRue North" blond roast (brewing at home is so much better than how they serve it in store). I use exactly 34g of coffee to 4 cups of filtered water.

as for esspresso, I haven't yet found the "ONE" that I love. I just picked up a package of pre-ground italian kimbo that is pretty good. I'm still getting the hang of making espresso. I find i mess up on tamping. I don't really know the exact pressure yet to put.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
it's amazing how a health scare though can make you savour and enjoy something you take for granted.

About 5 years ago, I was sitting in my office at work when I broke out in a massive sweat. my heart racing. shakes. Cheset pain. Thought at first it was just a panic attack (I've had those) and passed it off.

all day the rest of the day, I felt really off.

Next day, woke up, chest pains, dizziness, and heartbeat was irregular. Every 2-3 beats it would just stop for 2-3 seconds, than fire and catch up.

That's when I called my brother over and asked him to take me to the ER. spent the day in ER hooked up to monitoring. blood tests and all the works.

Good news. it was NOT a heart attack. My health was actually deemed completely normal and my blood work was actually deemed "excellent"

but something was shorting out the messages to my heart. Wore a heart monitor for a week.

I was diagnosed with Premature Ventricular Contractions. And it was believed to be caused by caffeine.

I was drinking at hte time the following:
1 XLARGE Tim Hortons at 8am.
1 Large Tim Hortons at about 10.
1 large mug of office coffee at noon
1 large mug of office coffee around 3pm.
I'd than go home. have a nap after work.
than i'd drink a large Monster energy around 8pm before working out.

I had to go immediately cold turkey off all caffeine. that was one miserable couple of months.

and when I got the ok to bring some caffeine back, it was with limits. So right now, I only have 1 coffee in the morning. And it's forced me to seriously enjoy it. No more office swill. No more tim hortons watery ********. no more energy drinks (haven't touched one in 5 years).

So when I make my morning coffee. I want it to be good. I want to enjoy it, even if it's drank while driving to work.

I buy more expensive coffees now, but still end up spending less on coffee overall now that i'm not buying it multiple times a day.

My favourite coffee for drip (I use only mesh filters so that the oils are allowed to pass through) is Kicking Horse 454 Horsepower. has a nice coacoa finish. I also enjoy Starbucks "TRue North" blond roast (brewing at home is so much better than how they serve it in store). I use exactly 34g of coffee to 4 cups of filtered water.

as for esspresso, I haven't yet found the "ONE" that I love. I just picked up a package of pre-ground italian kimbo that is pretty good. I'm still getting the hang of making espresso. I find i mess up on tamping. I don't really know the exact pressure yet to put.

Thank you for sharing your story, and how scary it must've been. I truly love to see how, all things put in their right perspective, you truly made this health scare as something that could provide some positive results (better enjoyment of the small things of life, esp. coffee!!!).

Noticed you haven't really been in PRSI lately. Hope everythings alright with you. We often disagree on policy things, but it's a good discussion and I think you and I would enjoy the discussion over a nice cupajoe

Too many things happening in real life now, so I must preserve my sanity whenever I can... PRSI would be detrimental now for me. Plus honestly most of the discussions are now kinda people repeating themselves over and over (something I am guilty of myself). If we ever meet, coffee is on me. I do agree that real life conversations are much better suited when accompanied by a drink of some kind. Call me a romantic, but I still find extremely civilized sitting down at a table with someone - family member, friend, acquaintance, or even someone just met - and discuss of some topic of interest, from politics, to movies, to sports, to books; whatever. By observation, I think that it's an art of living that is being lost and is slowly eroded by the advent of smartphones (although I blame more our use of it, not the technology itself). Last week I entered a Starbucks and it felt like a ghost town. In addition, nothing will sadden me more than seeing kids (from toddlers to young adults) on their devices while sitting down at a restaurant with their family. So many opportunities to exchange ideas, jokes, opinions, knowledge are being lost in favor of quick, meaningless entertaining.
I leave it at that; it might sound pessimistic, but here the weather is gloomy and I just spoke to a friend who lost her significant other just a couple of weeks ago; in the conversation she mentioned how she would love to say just one more thing to him, just once, and I immediately thought about all those lost moments that I see and of which I am also certainly guilty of.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thank you for sharing your story, and how scary it must've been. I truly love to see how, all things put in their right perspective, you truly made this health scare as something that could provide some positive results (better enjoyment of the small things of life, esp. coffee!!!).

Too many things happening in real life now, so I must preserve my sanity whenever I can... PRSI would be detrimental now for me. Plus honestly most of the discussions are now kinda people repeating themselves over and over (something I am guilty of myself). If we ever meet, coffee is on me. I do agree that real life conversations are much better suited when accompanied by a drink of some kind. Call me a romantic, but I still find extremely civilized sitting down at a table with someone - family member, friend, acquaintance, or even someone just met - and discuss of some topic of interest, from politics, to movies, to sports, to books; whatever. By observation, I think that it's an art of living that is being lost and is slowly eroded by the advent of smartphones (although I blame more our use of it, not the technology itself). Last week I entered a Starbucks and it felt like a ghost town. In addition, nothing will sadden me more than seeing kids (from toddlers to young adults) on their devices while sitting down at a restaurant with their family. So many opportunities to exchange ideas, jokes, opinions, knowledge are being lost in favor of quick, meaningless entertaining.
I leave it at that; it might sound pessimistic, but here the weather is gloomy and I just spoke to a friend who lost her significant other just a couple of weeks ago; in the conversation she mentioned how she would love to say just one more thing to him, just once, and I immediately thought about all those lost moments that I see and of which I am also certainly guilty of.

Excellent post, and I am in complete agreement wth you.

Real life conversations (on politics, books, history, literature, music - indeed, sport, whatever) - sitting with someone across a table over a cup of coffee - is an exceptionally civilised way in which to try to live life.

When we were children, my mother had a strict rule (which I follow) of no TV when dining; you were to sit at the table and pay attention to what others had to say and chat (and argue) - and exchange ideas, knowledge, jokes, opinions, thoughts, ask questions, and raise stuff that is on your mind. With that in mind, she was implacably opposed to the idea of a TV in the kitchen (another rule I still follow diligently).

TV was fine - but elsewhere, in the living room, once the table had been cleared away and the washing up done.

These days, I would have no problem extending that rule to mobile phone use when out dining, or having coffee, or in a pub or anywhere else one is social. Often, when I am out, I leave my mobile phone at home.

If a call is made (or needs to be made), fine; but no scrolling while in company. It is bad manners, on top of everything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.