Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
??
Recently rewatched Ex Machina and looking back over this thread at the outstanding exchange of ideas discussing this story, what makes it such a good provacative story, and how it compares to the actual potential of A.I. development. :)

I maintain, it all boils down to programming.

Why were Ava and Kyoko unhappy with their existence and willing to take drastic action in an attempt to gain their freedom?
Serious shortcoming in programming, lack of an appropriate morality routine. I believe Nathan, although a genius, focused his programming on creating a too human like A.I., including characteristics that are considered baggage and are decidedly negative for a slave servant, such as the desire for freedom, unhappiness with imprisonment and restrictions, instead of a general contentment to exist, have self awareness, with the overriding experiencing of feeling pleasure and contentment when serving humans.

How much independence?
The characteristic of independence, having desires or preferences, is human like, and to a degree would be desirable for an artificial human companion but how much? I’ve always pictured programming that allows for preferences, they’d have to have them to mimic a person, but at some level, whatever is decided by the owner, the AI would have to acquiece to the desire of their owner. To go beyond this level would become a lot more complicated, to have A.I. entities acting independently. As always 3 Rules of Robotics would apply and override.

Why did Ava leave Cal?
I believe because Cal identified himself as working with Nathan. She viewed Nathan as the enemy who kept her imprisoned along wth Cal. However she either failed to register the empathy Cal had developed for her or ignored/dismissed it, a short coming in her programming. He enabled her desire, but she used him for whatever reason. I say it’s the programming, stupid. :D

Nathan’s reason for including sexuality in an AI?
His reason, what better reason for one gray box to interact with another, plus in his words “it’s fun“. A good enough reason?
??

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Do we have a dedicated thread to AI, something to discuss the broader topic? I haven't looked, tbh. I've had some thoughts on this the past few weeks, but haven't put them down anywhere yet.

Which thread were you thinking of? I thought there was one too, but I did a couple of searches and it seems that the AI related threads with the most traction involve fiction. I‘ll be happy to move this reply over to it.
Would love to hear your thoughts. I took the liberty of starting an Android thread.

Yesterday I was listening to Science Friday on NPR which was doing a segment on automation/AI and they were talking about how some things seem automated but require a lot of humans working behind the scene such as an online search engine to insure the accuracy of search results, and it delved into income inequity as a result of automation.

And they briefly talked about the idea of the Technological Singularity. The expert claimed we were no where near that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.