Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Yes, i wonder is it enabled on bt headsets and airpods as well
No its not, I use a cheap bluetooth headphone clip and its deafening at full volume. Its nice to be able to drive a big pair of headphones with enough power to make them sound nice.

The EU limit has been an issue since the iPod Classic (the first one with coverflow) its only really good for earbuds, big headphones really sound like crap with it.

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
My iPhone is for EU markets, there are no yellow or red bars and it is as loud as my iPad. Stop spreading nonsense.

Lisat78

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2015
I agree this sound volume limitation is maddening - ironically, especially so if you DO have a hearing loss. I'm already severely/profoundly deaf. Breaching that limit wouldn't hurt me and would help a good deal. Amplified headphones aren't always a solution as it's a sledgehammer to walnut approach and dedicated streamers can be incredibly expensive. Possibly my next hearing aids will be 'made for iphone' as that seems to be the best solution!

On another note, what's an otologist? Is that American for audiologist?

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
My iPhone is for EU markets, there are no yellow or red bars and it is as loud as my iPad. Stop spreading nonsense.

you may have no limit on your device.. what's your phone's model code.. mine ends with TU/A, devices manufactured for Turkey always ends with TU/A code.. btw i didn't start this topic for a nonsense issue..that's a big problem for eu devices, me and other complainers try to find a solution for it.

No its not, I use a cheap bluetooth headphone clip and its deafening at full volume. Its nice to be able to drive a big pair of headphones with enough power to make them sound nice.

The EU limit has been an issue since the iPod Classic (the first one with coverflow) its only really good for earbuds, big headphones really sound like crap with it.

brexit may be a good solution for you to get rid of eu volume limit on coming years :) i'll try a bt headset to look for the difference.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
A friend from a Turkish forum says it's the same on iOS 11 beta 5, lbackupbot changing celestial file trick is not working anymore and it won't. Only way to solve this a jailbreak then

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I see using an external DAC (some can be powered straight off the lightning port) or bluetooth headphones as a solution.

Now, for iPhones 7 and up, you're always using an external DAC anyway (lightning EarPods have a DAC inside). So in this case, I wonder if just using American imported lightning EarPods would be sufficient. Probably not.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
If it's actually too low for you, I suggest doing two things:

1. Disable the toggle "EU Volume Limit",
2. In iTunes before syncing music to your device, make it a habit to manually adjust the volume for each album to (almost) +100 %. It's set to the 0 % (no volume enhancement) by default. You can reach this via context-click > Information > Options > Volume Adjustment on each song/album.

If both aren't enough for you, look out for a headset that amplifies volume (there are some).
And if that still isn't, I'd schedule an appointment with an otologist. ;)

Setting +100 to volume (gain) in the files will badly clip and distort most music, especially modern “loud” music which is already highly compressed in its dynamic range.

The stupid thing about this is that the danger comes from the terrible headphones that come in the box, rather than the phone. They’re quite sensitive, have next to no bass and let a lot of outside noise in (and vice-versa) so people compensate for it by turning them up, but the frequencies they can produce are the high pitched ones that, when directed straight into the ear, can do damage.

Limiting the phone will only limit the number of headphones you’ll be able to get to a satisfactory maximum volume, even ones that are deliberately “rolled-off” to protect hearing. It’s the kind of dumb bureaucracy that people in favour of Brexit campaigned against. The phone can’t tell how sensitive or “good” your headphones are so why cripple the phone’s level when it isn’t necessary?

Not scientific but I did some tests with my setup and I still have very good hearing across the range at calibrated volume levels and can hear 17 kHz tones from my headphones, probably more even from better ones because my headphones are rolled off. In comparison I can’t listen to the crappy bundled earbuds at even near maximum volume because they make my ears hurt (and hurt means potential damage).

My advice to OP is to investigate some economical portable DACs that can help you get a better balance and volume from the headphones you have, or look at Bluetooth headphones. Both of these options bypass the phone’s mediocre DAC and volume controls.

That or look at buying your phone from a non-EU country like Norway or Switzerland (or soon to be UK) that mightn’t have the reduced level imposed. But still, you’re better off avoiding the phone’s (or dongle’s) DAC if you can manage it.
[doublepost=1503840239][/doublepost]
I see using an external DAC (some can be powered straight off the lightning port) or bluetooth headphones as a solution.

Now, for iPhones 7 and up, you're always using an external DAC anyway (lightning EarPods have a DAC inside). So in this case, I wonder if just using American imported lightning EarPods would be sufficient. Probably not.

That’s a really great question, but I’m guessing Apple in their smarts have thought of this and so the phone will be dictating to the DAC in the dongle what its maximimum level out will be.

They almost certainly won’t be manufacturing different little headphone jack dongles just for the EU market!

Last edited:

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
I have an iPhone 4s as a second phone, it was a replacement under Apple Care+, it is way louder than any other iPhone I ever owned, so I suppose it was not one meant for the EU market.

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
I think that the phone recognizes where you are and turns on all regulatory features based on your location. It’s rather this than HW wise

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
I think that the phone recognizes where you are and turns on all regulatory features based on your location. It’s rather this than HW wise

bought a portable dac amp last month and finalize all this issues :)

btw i use another israeli iphone 5s in Turkey which has not a volume limit

so it's not based on location.. it's all software limitations

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
But you can turn off the EU volume limit
2a63b0ff475dd1f7ee51edc89f34a344.jpg

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
I would if I could, maybe if true, it’s good that there is a limit, wouldn’t want to go deaf anyway.

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Good for people that want to go deaf I would rather say. Mine plays really loud anyways

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.