Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Yesterday I imported a movie into iMovie that I wanted to chop up and re-arrange but when I export it the exported movie is choppy/stuttery, although the audio is fine. I've tried exporting as mp4 and .mov, and tried with compression and without. I've checked the frame rate and the original is 23.98fps as is the exported movie. Does anyone have any idea why, and how I can fix it?

I'm running a 2017 MBP Touch Bar with 2.9GHz i7, 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD. I recently upgraded to OS Mojave and this is the first movie I've exported using this, don't know if this has anything to do with it.

Any help would be appreciated.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Probably need to know more here - can you do a Get Info on the video and note the bit rate, codec, and other information? My first guess is there aren't enough resources to handle the video playback. Though it looks like you have a beefy MBP.

Does the file play on other systems?

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Probably need to know more here - can you do a Get Info on the video and note the bit rate, codec, and other information? My first guess is there aren't enough resources to handle the video playback. Though it looks like you have a beefy MBP.

Does the file play on other systems?
Thanks for the reply. fps is 23.98, codec is h.264 1920 x 1080 AAC 48000Hz data rate 20.19. It's choppy on my iPad too.

I've tried exporting other projects and they export fine.

Which version of iMovie? I'm using the current version 10, and I don't get the option of .mp4 or .mov
It doesn't say mp4 or .mov in the options but if you choose a quality such as medium or high then it exports as .mp4, but if you choose Best (pro res) then it exports as .mov :)
[doublepost=1564731258][/doublepost]Quick update, when I play the original file in iMovie from the source video it plays choppy so it looks like an import issue with that particular movie.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.