Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
Hi, does anyone know how to extend the iPad screen to a Mac Book. I have a 2019 (2018 model) iPad Pro and a 2019 (2018) MacBook Pro running Catalina.

I am looking to use the MacBook as a source for a projector when running presentations, but I want the iPad to be the source of the presentation as I can use the ApplePencil2 to put notation over presentation screens etc, using apps like Notability.

I have spent hours looking this up but every wording I try ends up with either nothing (if too strict on the wording) or how to use my iPad as a second screen for the Macbook - exactly the opposite of what I want!

Many thanks

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Hi, does anyone know how to extend the iPad screen to a Mac Book. I have a 2019 (2018 model) iPad Pro and a 2019 (2018) MacBook Pro running Catalina.

I am looking to use the MacBook as a source for a projector when running presentations, but I want the iPad to be the source of the presentation as I can use the ApplePencil2 to put notation over presentation screens etc, using apps like Notability.

I have spent hours looking this up but every wording I try ends up with either nothing (if too strict on the wording) or how to use my iPad as a second screen for the Macbook - exactly the opposite of what I want!

Many thanks
It was my understanding that you could use the Apple Pencil on the iPad while using the iPad as the Sidecar to the MacBook. Have you tried this using Sidecar on the MacBook using your iPad as the 2nd monitor?

More information: Use your iPad as a second display for your Mac with Sidecar

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You cannot use a MacBook display to extend an iPad screen. Why don't you just drive the projector from the iPad?

Reactions: ericwn

tommill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
It was my understanding that you could use the Apple Pencil on the iPad while using the iPad as the Sidecar to the MacBook. Have you tried this using Sidecar on the MacBook using your iPad as the 2nd monitor?

More information: Use your iPad as a second display for your Mac with Sidecar

Thanks for coming back - I tried getting Sidecar to work and it sort of does, but I am getting the MacBook displaying on the iPad - I want it to work the other way around (iPad to Macbook).

tommill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
You cannot use a MacBook display to extend an iPad screen. Why don't you just drive the projector from the iPad?

I saw it done earlier this year at a site where I was working but didn't have the chance to talk to the presenter. I can't rely on connecting the iPad to a projector as all the sites I visit have different types of Projectors and I also need to occasionally connect the MacBook direct to the Projector as I use Parallels on the MacBook to run certain applications. It gets a bit messy if I have to swap Projector connections.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Your best solution might be to carry your own AppleTV and connect that to the projector. Then you can choose to display either the iPad or the MacBook.

Reactions: revmacian

sergioarista

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010

Many thanks
You can use airserver, I have been using it for several years, it basically turns your computer into an airplay receiver, it supports duplication from iPad, iPhone and other Macs.

https://www.airserver.com/

Reactions: ericwn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.