Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Slotik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2019
Hey guys, I have an issue with external speaker connected to my Macbook Air. I use Sony speaker but also tried it with another JBL and the problem remains. My Sony speaker was working fine until I updated to Catalina. Since then, I am experiencing a following issue. I play a sound via this external speaker (youtube video, facebook video, spotify, podcast etc., does not really matter) and out of blue it just stops playing via external speaker and switches to internal Macbook speaker. The external speaker does not disconnect, it remains connected but the sound plays from internal speaker only. I have to disconnect and reconnect the Sony speaker always when this happens. It is really frustrating because very often it happens just out fo blue even when I am not touching the computer. Or it happens when I just switch between tabs in Safari, edit photos in Photo...it is pretty random. I contacted Apple however after three calls we got nowhere, I was advised to remove all 3rd party applications and test it...I already restarted NVRAM, PRAM and even re-installed OS (on-top) etc. But it helped just for a while. The external speaker is fine, I tried to use it with a different device and worked just fine without this kind of cut outs. It even works well on a different Mac. I was also thinking that it might be the hardware issue of my Mac bluetooth however other bluetooth devices (Apple mouse) work fine. And all has been working well just until I updated to Catalina. Anyone has experienced this or has an idea what might be the cause? Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.