Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
So I have my Huawei VR 2 cable and I thought it may be useful to document how to use it, based on my testing. I couldn't find this info else where so others might find it interesting.

macOS Usage

- You cannot boot into macOS with the eGPU connected using this cable, you get no display. Unplug the eGPU from the Mac mini when booting into macOS.

- You should instead boot with the standard Mac mini > LG UltraFine TB3 connection.

- When macOS has loaded, unplug the Mac mini > LG UltraFine TB3 connection and plug in the eGPU. The eGPU will come to life and after a few seconds you'll have full display and brightness controls.

- Waking from sleep is fine with the eGPU connected.

veIMdpM.png

Windows Bootcamp Usage

- Windows requires the eGPU to be connected when booting. However you do not get the boot loader with the eGPU connected, so you cannot select which OS to boot.

- To work around this, you should set Windows as the default OS when turning on your Mac mini.

- This allows you to reboot in macOS with the eGPU connected, and go into Windows bootcamp without having to do any unplugs.

Benchmark

ajo9VH4.png

Things to test

- What I haven't tested yet is if I switch the eGPU off at the power while the Mac mini is asleep, but then switch it back on and wake it up does it output to the display.
Thanks. Can you compare performance with egpu connected to monitor vs egpu connected to Mac mini? Not just games but maybe motion and fcpx.

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
I can run some benchmarks but I don’t have any video editors.
thanks. much appreciated since I have the same setup as you. I read a testing report online once on how the egpu preformed better when plugged into the Mac mini directly so ive been confused ever since and thought my only real option was the balckmagic egpu. is your setup running pretty silent on idle or is this something you would turn off when doing basic stuff?

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
thanks. much appreciated since I have the same setup as you. I read a testing report online once on how the egpu preformed better when plugged into the Mac mini directly so ive been confused ever since and thought my only real option was the balckmagic egpu. is your setup running pretty silent on idle or is this something you would turn off when doing basic stuff?

The eGPU is always connected to the Mac mini directly, it's just that the eGPU is connected to the monitor, and not the Mac mini, which you can also do but you take a hit on performance.

The Huawei VR cable is what makes it possible to connect a DisplayPort eGPU to the 4K Ultrafine monitors. Officially the BlackMagic is the only solution that Apple talks about.

The Razer Core X out of the box isn't quiet. My GPU has a zero RPM mode, so no fans run on the GPU on idle and that is dead silent. The 120mm fan on the Core X is pretty terrible, but I have changed that for a Noctua fan which is much quieter. You could probably disconnect the 120mm and not have much impact on thermals. The PSU also has a fan and that is again not very quiet, you can swap this out for the Corsair SF600 or SF750, those both have zero RPM mode, so no fans running until over 300w power draw.

So for complete silence you'd go with a GPU that has zero RPM mode (e.g. Sapphire Nitro+), disconnect the case fan and change the PSU. If you plan to have it under the desk, then you'll be fine with changing the case fan for the Noctua. You may even find with the Noctua it's barely audible even on your desk.

I haven't changed my PSU yet, I have it under the desk currently and it helps with the noise, but I can still hear it. The other reason you will want to change the PSU is when the Mac mini is in sleep mode the fan on the PSU still spins, this is the biggest reason I am going to change the PSU.

hkoster1

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
The Netherlands
@lifeisepic Thanks for your reporting, I have now also ordered that Huawei VR 2 cable.
FWIW, there are plenty of USB-C -> DisplayPort cables around that handle Alt mode, but
these are one-way only. For connecting the LG 4K UltraFine you need DP -> USB-C, and
for that you need a cable like theone for the Huawei VR 2.

My Mac Mini has the i5, and in passthrough mode Valley scores only 2249 with fps 53.7
(29.4 -- 78.1).

Reactions: DeepIn2U

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Noctua NF-S12A FLX but I have read that you can also use Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.

That's great. Just getting info together, not sure which way I'll go yet.
  • eGPU with additional integrated PCI slot for another HD or.....
  • eGPU and separate external TB3 drive case.
Both routes are very expensive.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
That's great. Just getting info together, not sure which way I'll go yet.
  • eGPU with additional integrated PCI slot for another HD or.....
  • eGPU and separate external TB3 drive case.
Both routes are very expensive.

I have a Samsung EVO 860 1TB (cost about £120) in a USB-C enclosure:

10Gbps is more than enough for me.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I have a Samsung EVO 860 1TB (cost about £120) in a USB-C enclosure:

10Gbps is more than enough for me.
Ah, maybe I've been setting my goals too high?
I'll be booting from it periodically so was thinking I'd need more bandwidth than that 10Gbps?
Is yours for just additional space or is it an additional boot drive?

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Ah, maybe I've been setting my goals too high?
I'll be booting from it periodically so was thinking I'd need more bandwidth than that 10Gbps?
Is yours for just additional space or is it an additional boot drive?

It's for additional storage, I have macOS and Bootcamp on my internal 256GB drive.

Many people use a Samsung T5 to boot from, which is essentially the what I have in my enclosure.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
It's for additional storage, I have macOS and Bootcamp on my internal 256GB drive.

Many people use a Samsung T5 to boot from, which is essentially the what I have in my enclosure.

Looks like a nice piece of hardware. I'd buy it if I didn't already have lots of drives hanging around.

So i've just ordered the Razer CoreX and one of the Noctuas you recommended. Soon as it comes I'll pop an SSD in it and see if it works for booting, (if all goes well my 5,1 goes up for sale). Then it'll be back to eGPU use.

Last edited:

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Anyone with the i5 or i7 have run Time Spy and can tell me their CPU score? I got got the i3 version and have played around with a Asus XG Station Pro and my 2080 Ti and the graphics performance seems to be better than expected but the CPU is bottlenecking hard. Wondering how much difference it would make with the i5 or i7.

In general it won't be worth going the eGPU route for performance reasons when I already have a beefy gaming rig that is smaller than the eGPU enclosure to begin with. But it is fun to test things.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I may be selling my eGPU in the end, if anyone is in the UK it may be a nice opportunity to score some less a month old kit for a good price :) let me know if there is any interest and I'll create an ad on here. I'm also a member of Overclockers UK forum where I have sold stuff for over 10 years.

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
I may be selling my eGPU in the end, if anyone is in the UK it may be a nice opportunity to score some less a month old kit for a good price :) let me know if there is any interest and I'll create an ad on here. I'm also a member of Overclockers UK forum where I have sold stuff for over 10 years.
why? poor performance? what are you replacing it with?

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I also gave my eGPU enclosure (Sonnet) the Noctua Fan + Corsair 0rpm PSU treatment to get acceptable idle acoustics.

It's a bit galling to have to spend a lot to replace the stock Fan and PSU because the eGPU enclosures are overpriced in the first place. After a mediocre stock Fan and PSU are removed, it's mostly an empty box with a $10 Intel TB3 chip in it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.