Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Sad face. Wonder if this will be enabled via hardware in the new iPhone this year.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Honestly I would just take a higher success rate over horizontal scanning at this point. But I'd think scanning from different angles would help improve the overall scanning reliability.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
That won’t be the beta because the only reason to have FaceID in landscape is the iPads and thus including it would be a huge leak before the hardware is announced.
Well I definitely have a need to use FaceId in landscape mode with my iPhone X. Whenever my phone is in my car cradle it is in landscape mode and I have to take it out of the cradle to unlock it.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
The dot matrix is as far as I know hardware driven, not software driven, When I was testing the X, I tried different orientations and only the expected vertical upright orientation was successful.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Why would they be leaking new hardware? We all know FaceID is coming to the new iPads one way or another.

As stated above, I would like my iPhone X to unlock in landscape, for example in the car.

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
Dang, I was hoping this was coming to the X. I just assumed it was when I heard them mention it for iPad.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
That won’t be the beta because the only reason to have FaceID in landscape is the iPads and thus including it would be a huge leak before the hardware is announced.

It's already been leaked.

The clock on iOS 12 beta has moved to the side for iPad, leaving a wide open space for a notch. Also, developers have found references to Face ID Unlock on iPad.

More than likely, horizontal Face ID only works on Face ID 2.0 hardware coming this fall.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Apple will seriously use this as a "feature" in an upcoming model. Tech has stalled so much that things that should simply be a given will now be features. I mean, Memoji? Like they couldn't of added that with Animojis? Face ID was touted as a feature. It's a way to unlock your phone, that takes as long as Touch ID. lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.