Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andgon1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2017
NYC
Set up on 11.03 worked and then once I updated to ios 11.1 I tried to redo face id set up and it will not recognize my face. Turned off phone twice and force quit settings. Still not working.

UPDATE:

Went to Apple and they confirmed that I am not crazy and it is a problem with the phone. I was apparently the first person to come to a store with this problem. So we shall see. It may have been just my batch of serial numbers or something of that sort. They gave me a brand new phone right out of the box. Apple wins again.

Last edited:

Chorx

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
I’m actually having issues as well, it’s very bizarre because my wife’s phone works fine, we’re on the same carrier same size just one is black and one is silver.

I set faceid up initially and it worked great, I updated to 11.1 and it ceased to work right, now when I try to set it up again it refuses to recognize my face at all.
[doublepost=1509760098][/doublepost]Please excuse my ugly mug. This started happening only after the 11.1 update

andgon1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2017
NYC
I’m actually having issues as well, it’s very bizarre because my wife’s phone works fine, we’re on the same carrier same size just one is black and one is silver.

I set faceid up initially and it worked great, I updated to 11.1 and it ceased to work right, now when I try to set it up again it refuses to recognize my face at all.
[doublepost=1509760098][/doublepost]Please excuse my ugly mug. This started happening only after the 11.1 update

EXACTLY!

TinyChip

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2015
California
Set up on 11.03 worked and then once I updated to ios 11.1 I tried to redo face id set up and it will not recognize my face. Turned off phone twice and force quit settings. Still not working.

Why not try to reset phone to factory settings? Then don’t set up Face ID until after you update to 11.1. Some in this forum have said the X updated to 11.1 during the initial setup.

Chorx

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
Did you try wiping the phone, install the update first, and then setting up Face ID?

I just tried this, as I was having other weirdness with the way my iPhoto’s was working.

Interestingly enough, now I blatantly get an error “Face ID is unavailable. Please try again later.” Fun times ;)

Reactions: pat500000

Chorx

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
Is your phone a SG 256 as well? I wonder if there’s any correlation. I honestly think it’s just the TrueDepth assembly is busted, I wish I had a crappy camera to see the IR response from the phone.

Honestly I’m not too upset, I’ll get it fixed if they can offer me an in person replacement... i just don’t want them to give me a loaner phone while I wait weeks to get my x back, and since reformatting — it’s working great, Face ID aside and I’m loving it.

Chorx

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
Per the update, it seems like Apple realized this was an issue and replaced the device. I made my appointment for tomorrow. One thing I noticed, which is interesting, there are drop tests that show that, although there is no external damage to the device, the FaceID ceases to exist after impact.

It seems fickle. I haven't dropped my phone, but I question how sensitive this assembly is on some devices.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Anyone else can repeat this problem?
[doublepost=1509916430][/doublepost]I just re-do my face id and it works.

Chorx

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
Anyone else can repeat this problem?
[doublepost=1509916430][/doublepost]I just re-do my face id and it works.

Yes, there's two issues. Firstly, FaceID does not recognize faces in the frame at all, not just mine. Secondly, anything that relies on the depth sensor for data (i.e. front facing portriate shots) do not work. I actually went as far as getting in front of an IR sensitive camera and seeing if it was blasting anything out and it is not, there's no light coming out of the IR flood illuminator at any time.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Am I the only one smirking a little, thinking that a technology company has finally enabled their people to tell their customers "Sorry, sir, but the problem appears to be your face"? :) (sorry....seems funny...but I haven't caffeinated yet) :)

People with the problem should see if their phones were made in the same plant/production run - maybe that will help to isolate the problem.

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Chorx

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
Family name:
Group1: iPhone
Group2: X
Generation:
Colour: Space Gray
Production week : -41- (October)
Production year : -2017-
Model introduced: -2017-
Capacity: 256GB
Memory - flavour: Soldered
Factory: C3 (China (Foxxcon, Shenzhen factory))

I can't immagine OP still has his old phone since they swapped it out, but maybe it will be good for documentation sake to have this on hand, thanks @fischersd :thumbsup:

Chorx

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
Just got done with Apple, they replaced the phone outright after saying normally they'd replace the display assembly but they did not have diaplays available for replacement. The new phone works flawlessly, details are as follows

Family name:
Group1: iPhone
Group2: X
Generation:
Colour: Space Gray
Production week : -42- (October)
Production year : -2017-
Model introduced: -2017-
Capacity: 256GB
Memory - flavour: Soldered
Factory: F1 (China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn)

hohoho43

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2017

UPDATE:

Went to Apple and they confirmed that I am not crazy and it is a problem with the phone. I was apparently the first person to come to a store with this problem. So we shall see. It may have been just my batch of serial numbers or something of that sort. They gave me a brand new phone right out of the box. Apple wins again.

Same here from Hong Kong! My Face ID stopped working after installed with iOS 11.1.1. Brought it to Apple Genius Bar and they replaced with a service unit. Genius bar folks have no idea what went wrong as they did some hardware diagnostic. Mysterious!!!

Nowickil

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2019
This is what happened to me. I guess a trip to apple for me!! Ugh!!

QUOTE="Chorx, post: 25384327, member: 569430"]I’m actually having issues as well, it’s very bizarre because my wife’s phone works fine, we’re on the same carrier same size just one is black and one is silver.

[/QUOTE]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.