Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Just updated to iOS8.1 and running Yosemite.

It says Failed to enable personal hotspot!!

I've made sure it's enabled on the iphone.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Epic bump to show how ridiculous this is. It's TWENTY EIGHTEEN, we're now on iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra, and this is still happening. Took me about 20 attempts just now to enable Personal Hotspot. No reason, it's just always been unreliable and always taken at LEAST 2 attempts to start like some old car with a dodgy starter motor.

Over the years I've acquired new Macs and iPhones and gone through multiple reinstalls. I've done all the "turn it off and on again", "remove iCloud from everything and go through the Hell of re-adding it all again" and "trash Bluetooth preferences" and all that kind of stuff multiple times too. Is Crapple ever going to get around to fixing this? It's an embarrassment.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Epic bump to show how ridiculous this is. It's TWENTY EIGHTEEN, we're now on iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra, and this is still happening. Took me about 20 attempts just now to enable Personal Hotspot. No reason, it's just always been unreliable and always taken at LEAST 2 attempts to start like some old car with a dodgy starter motor.

Over the years I've acquired new Macs and iPhones and gone through multiple reinstalls. I've done all the "turn it off and on again", "remove iCloud from everything and go through the Hell of re-adding it all again" and "trash Bluetooth preferences" and all that kind of stuff multiple times too. Is Crapple ever going to get around to fixing this? It's an embarrassment.
Strange, I just used the personal hotspot feature on my iPhone 7 with iOS 11.3 last week and it took just a second or two to turn it on and then see it on my MacBook Pro pretty much right away and connect to it within a matter of seconds.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Aren't personal anecdotes of success amazing, they do such a perfect job of invalidating people's problems!
Is that what they do? Or do they simply, you know, present and share someone's personal experiences with the same thing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.