Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
2024 Update:
Fallout Series due to drop April 2024...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/fallout-series-prime-video-2024.2418253/

1 May 201? F4 Guide Update: See updated Guide here!

Here is my beginnings of a Fallout 4 Guide resource, PC centric. Some are quite excellent.

* Fallout 4 Walkthrough and Guide- http://www.usgamer.net/articles/fallout-4-walkthrough-and-guide
* Fallout 4: Power Armor Guide - Fusion Cores, Mods, Repairs- http://www.usgamer.net/articles/fallout-4-power-armor-guide-fusion-cores-mods-repairs
* Fallout 4: Base Building Guide - Food, Water, Power, Defense- http://www.usgamer.net/articles/fallout-4-base-building-guide-food-water-power-defense
* Fallout 4 Guide: Where to Find Food for Sanctuary and Other Settlements- http://attackofthefanboy.com/guides...ind-food-for-sanctuary-and-other-settlements/
* Fallout 4 Workshop Guide: How to Establish Supply Lines and Assign Workers- http://attackofthefanboy.com/guides...o-establish-supply-lines-between-settlements/
* Power Armor Guide @TenTonHammer (http://www.tentonhammer.com/guides/fallout-4/fallout-4-power-armor-guide)
* Power Armor Guide: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/fallout-4-power-armor-guide-fusion-cores-mods-repairs
* Beginner’s Guide to Fallout 4 http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-beginners-guide-to-fallout-4/1100-6432034/
* How To Get Out of Power Armor: http://attackofthefanboy.com/guides/fallout-4-guide-how-to-get-out-of-power-armor/

Steps/Spoilers
* Explore, find the people in Concord, do the Minuteman quest to get Power Armor.
* Come back to sanctuary with them and take care of basics- build beds, food, water etc, see Base Building Guide above.
* This is just the beginning.

Commands
* Take off Power Armor-
face the Power Armor Station and hold E (or just hold E anywhere?)
* Open Workshop Menu hold V- anywhere.
* To command a person- Click on them in the V menu and point at what you want them to manage and select.
* How to Harvest Crops, Eat or Plant- In the regular interface pick/harvest the crop, a Mellon, gourd, or fruit. You can eat it or plant it to expand your food sources. To plant, go into the workshop (V), find the food category, scroll to the item and if it's plantable, a bush/tree/plant will appear floating in front of you. Place it on the ground to plant.

Fallout 4: Base Building Guide - Food, Water, Power, Defense
Begin by opening up the Workshop across the street from your old home. With the Workshop interface open, walk around the area where you plan to build your settlement. Objects that can either be scrapped or stored will be outlined in green, while broken objects that can only be scrapped are outlined in yellow. Scrap all the yellow items you find, and store green items that you wish to use later.
-It has been recommended that all items be scrapped and build what you want or need.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I let other things distract me, and now I'm back playing, starting over, and haven forgotten how to do a lot. Can anyone tell me how to grab an item with the intent of moving it? Can just about everything be moved, or is there some indicator that shows that the item can be dragged? Online, the use key "'e" for the PC is supposed to pick stuff up to be moved, but it's not working for me. Help! Thanks! :)

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
I let other things distract me, and now I'm back playing, starting over, and haven forgotten how to do a lot. Can anyone tell me how to grab an item with the intent of moving it? Can just about everything be moved, or is there some indicator that shows that the item can be dragged? Online, the use key "'e" for the PC is supposed to pick stuff up to be moved, but it's not working for me. Help! Thanks! :)

if you mean settlement items, then when in workshop mode if you move so thee item is highlighted and click on it with E it will be selected and if you move it will move.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
if you mean settlement items, then when in workshop mode if you move so thee item is highlighted and click on it with E it will be selected and if you move it will move.

Thanks, got it. :)

Mods-
I've tried a couple of mods. I like the idea of the Pristine Prewar House because one of my complaints is how trashy the world of F4 looks. If you can build a generator and a turret, you can surely build some decent buildings minus the junk yard look.

That said, I'm trying some mods such as Spring Cleaning, and the Pristine Prewar House, but I'm noticing some issues, such as in the Pristine House, once I clean up the nursery, I can no longer place anything in there without it falling through the floor. It's as if you must leave the carpet and bits of tile or there is no longer a solid floor to place furniture. if you move the carpet, it might not let you put it back. My nursery rug is currently out on the street. :/ I'm tempted to just do away with it, and tear it down in favor of houses and a junky base I've built.

The real issue with these kinds of mods is while they can greatly improve the appearance of the game, my impression is that if the mod maker dies not keep up with patches, you could end up adversely effected later in the game. I like Spring Cleaning because it allows me to remove a lot of the clutter that can't be removed in the vanilla game. This is not the same as adding new thing in, I think. ;)

Touch of Green ( if that is the exact name) adds a lot of green to the landscape and is very nice. 200 years later, either dead trees should have fallen down or new ones should be growing- another critique. :)

Thoughts? Thanks!

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Thanks, got it. :)

Mods-
I've tried a couple of mods. I like the idea of the Pristine Prewar House because one of my complaints is how trashy the world of F4 looks. If you can build a generator and a turret, you can surely build some decent buildings minus the junk yard look.

That said, I'm trying some mods such as Spring Cleaning, and the Pristine Prewar House, but I'm noticing some issues, such as in the Pristine House, once I clean up the nursery, I can no longer place anything in there without it falling through the floor. It's as if you must leave the carpet and bits of tile or there is no longer a solid floor to place furniture. if you move the carpet, it might not let you put it back. My nursery rug is currently out on the street. :/ I'm tempted to just do away with it, and tear it down in favor of houses and a junky base I've built.

The real issue with these kinds of mods is while they can greatly improve the appearance of the game, my impression is that if the mod maker dies not keep up with patches, you could end up adversely effected later in the game. I like Spring Cleaning because it allows me to remove a lot of the clutter that can't be removed in the vanilla game. This is not the same as adding new thing in, I think. ;)

Touch of Green ( if that is the exact name) adds a lot of green to the landscape and is very nice. 200 years later, either dead trees should have fallen down or new ones should be growing- another critique. :)

Thoughts? Thanks!

i have stayed away from mods like that as i find the combination of the game and my under specced mac means its pretty unstable anyway, and i like the idea of making the houses myself.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
i have stayed away from mods like that as i find the combination of the game and my under specced mac means its pretty unstable anyway, and i like the idea of making the houses myself.

Being able to remove tuffs of grass and large quantities of of junk (as Spring Cleaning allows), that was in the game to begin with, might even help your frame rate, like those big green hedges like bushes in Santuary. Unless I mis-understand, thinking this is a different process than when a mod adds items to a game. The Devs should have done more work in this area. I've also removed the mod that added extra nice objects (furniture) for fear that the modder won't keep up with the game.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
I'm finding I really enjoy Fallout 4 (playing on an AMD processor based Windows 10 PC I built just for gaming, though).

The one thing I'm NOT enjoying is that my computer randomly powers off in the middle of game-play. Has anyone run into this when playing in Boot Camp on a Mac?

When I Google this issue, I see numerous threads about it... The typical answers are usually posted first: Your power supply may not be large enough. Your processor or graphics card is overheating and shutting things down. You probably have a bad memory stick.

Ugh ... I have an OCZ 1,000 watt power supply that I'm confident is pretty good (cost me $180 on sale when I bought it a year ago or so). I can run "furmark" to stress test my Radeon 7950 graphics cards (running in a Crossfire configuration) and they'll work at 100% load for hours with no issues. My CPU doesn't seem to be getting hot enough to cause an abrupt shut-down either.

And I just don't get this behavior when running other games, including Battlefield: Hardline. I saw someone on Steam's forums comment that it's due to poor memory management in Fallout 4. (Essentially, it keeps trying to access parts of memory that aren't allowed by Windows so Windows is constantly bombarded with requests it has to cancel as you play. Eventually it just causes a kernel panic and total shutdown.)

I find that explanation a little tough to believe too though, since the Event Log in Windows doesn't show a slew of application error messages leading up to a shutdown, like you might expect?

Maybe I should make the effort to put Boot Camp on my Mac Pro and load Win 10 on it and see how Fallout 4 does on it... But would love to know if someone else has tried already, first?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm finding I really enjoy Fallout 4 (playing on an AMD processor based Windows 10 PC I built just for gaming, though).

The one thing I'm NOT enjoying is that my computer randomly powers off in the middle of game-play. Has anyone run into this when playing in Boot Camp on a Mac?

When I Google this issue, I see numerous threads about it... The typical answers are usually posted first: Your power supply may not be large enough. Your processor or graphics card is overheating and shutting things down. You probably have a bad memory stick.

Ugh ... I have an OCZ 1,000 watt power supply that I'm confident is pretty good (cost me $180 on sale when I bought it a year ago or so). I can run "furmark" to stress test my Radeon 7950 graphics cards (running in a Crossfire configuration) and they'll work at 100% load for hours with no issues. My CPU doesn't seem to be getting hot enough to cause an abrupt shut-down either.

And I just don't get this behavior when running other games, including Battlefield: Hardline. I saw someone on Steam's forums comment that it's due to poor memory management in Fallout 4. (Essentially, it keeps trying to access parts of memory that aren't allowed by Windows so Windows is constantly bombarded with requests it has to cancel as you play. Eventually it just causes a kernel panic and total shutdown.)

I find that explanation a little tough to believe too though, since the Event Log in Windows doesn't show a slew of application error messages leading up to a shutdown, like you might expect?

Maybe I should make the effort to put Boot Camp on my Mac Pro and load Win 10 on it and see how Fallout 4 does on it... But would love to know if someone else has tried already, first?

I really don't see that either (possible online explanations). Maybe find a Windows app that reads CPU temp?

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012

i dont get a shut down, but it cashes to black screen often. basically every time i fast travel, or open a door which leads to a different place, I'm rolling dice. once every 5 times or so when the screen goes black it will stay black.

sometimes i think its crashed and it takes a while but then opens just before i give up. other times i leave it for 20 mins and then realise its dead. i have to go to task manager and quit it.

however i am on a 2011 iMac with a 1gb card so I'm not complaining.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Using an Armor Workstation can muffle armor be made? Or as a rule must muffled armor be purchased from vendors?
Thanks!

It looks like armor can be modified at the armor station to created shadowed and muffled armor, but armor perks may be required.

The danger of mods- a recent update broke several of my mods including Spring Cleaning, resulting in a house I remove reappearing over the guard station I built there. Fortunately the two turrets I placed there still seem to be working, and the guard can come and go, altough I can't climb up there... house in the way.

towdow3

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2015

yes i have. i have an 8 core 2008 mac pro with gtx670 ftw 10 gb ram and i can run fallout 4 on high settings with win10 and i have close to 220 mods running. I plan to cut that down to 180 if possible

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Just to follow up on my original issue with my PC suddenly powering off in the middle of playing Fallout 4....

I noticed there was another Fallout 4 update patch downloaded via Steam a few days ago. Ever since then, I haven't encountered the problem anymore. I still definitely get issues with the game / computer freezing up if I let it sit idle long enough -- but that's a different thing. That doesn't concern me as much because it hasn't frozen on me like that during actual game-play. I suspect a memory leak causes that system freeze, because one time when I let it sit for an hour or two at a menu (hit ESC while playing and then let it sit there), it actually blue-screened the PC and the error reported had to do with exhausting the memory.

Just a guess, but I suspect when you're actually playing and you travel between areas, it purges memory it was allocating while doing things in the last used area. That "hides" the memory leak that you see when you leave it idling in the same spot for a long period of time.

Reactions: Huntn

dragontology

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2016
Greenville, NC
Sweet, a Fallout 4 topic on MacRumors. I've been up on the one on Neowin, but the player base has dropped off sharply over there. Now it's just a couple of us.

I got some beginning tips for y'all. I don't know what y'all's levels are, or experience, but we all start over eventually. So...

1. Salvage 111. Really, you don't want to be going back to 111, though you might for the Cryloator (that big nasty gun you couldn't get at before). So I was watching this guy take almost nothing from 111, then whine that he had no ceramic. But he was too lazy to pick up a single coffee cup. Dude, why not? It's there for the taking. Obviously you want the gun and the bullets and maybe the baton, but grab all the coffee cups. I think there are a couple hot plates. I always take those. They have either copper or circuitry or both.

And take all tools always. There's a guy in Vault 81 who will give you 15 caps apiece for: Adjustable Wrench, Ball-Peen Hammer, Combination Wrench, Screwdriver, and Wrench. In each settlement, build a toolbox, and fill them with these. Now, the guy used to disappear after you used him the first time. This has been patched, so you can use him as often as you like. Speaking of, when you go to Vault 114 (the one Nick's in), that Vault has an unusually high tool drop rate, so if you're doing that quest early, try going with light armor and one gun with a lot of ammo, so you can carry all those sweet paydays out.

2. Early fusion cores. It's not hard to get the one in Concord, but you really don't have to. The easiest one is in that cave under the Red Rocket. I think a lot of people don't know this cave is there. It has radiation and it has a few mole rats — it's probably the source of the ones that attack you when you discover the location. And there's a fusion core in a fusion generator in there. You're going right by there anyway. If you need directions, just exit the garage and hang a left. Go around back, and from the corner farthest from Sanctuary, just follow that corner over a little hump, then turn back, you should be looking right at it.

3. Piper should be your first follower. You want her perk ASAP. It gives you bonuses for discovering new locations and passing speech checks. Nick's perk (extra guess while hacking) is good, but the quest to get it is quite long. Unlock it for the map markers, and then spend the time with somebody else. Even after the patch, you want MacCready's Killshot perk. It adds 20% to your chance to hit the head in VATS. (Before the patch, I think 1.1 or 1.2, they miscalculated and it added 2,000% to your chance, so obviously that was really great to have.) Danse's perk is probably the best (20% damage buff to ghouls, mutants, and synths) but it's so hard to get. Deacon's is another good one, buffing sneak and Stealth Boy usage. Everyone else... not really worth the time. IMO. But once you have the perk, you can let the follower go. The best follower is of course Dogmeat, if you have the Lone Wanderer perk.

4. Best guns. Most of the best guns can be bought, rather than found. When you play, you should pick ONE gun type, and max its perks. If you like pistols, max Gunslinger. If you like rifles, Rifleman. Machine guns, Commando. That will make those guns so much better, and another category's best gun just won't do it for you. The two best guns are Overseer's Guardian, bought from the general store in Vault 81, and Spray n' Pray, bought from traveling merchant Cricket (crazy girl), who can often be found outside 81. OG uses Rifleman, and I recommend taking off the silencer and scope, and putting a circle sight on it. You can upgrade it to use .308 and .50, but those are rarer and they don't do THAT much more. OG shoots two bullets for the price of one. You supply one, and Godd Howard supplies the other. So it's basically double damage. SnP uses both Commando and Demolitions Expert, because it also does 15 Explosive damage, per shot. And it's 100 rounds in the mag. This thing absolutely annihilates Deathclaws, bots, pretty much anything, but you'll need 10 perks to maximise its effectiveness. Totally worth it. Though I'd rather have the OG and the 5 perks spent elsewhere.

Reactions: Huntn

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Appreciate the tips!

My character is at around level 25 right now. I feel like I'm making pretty good progress through the game, but there's obviously a lot more I haven't done yet. I've been trying to avoid reading much of the walk-throughs and ignore any cheat codes, though I am playing on the easiest skill level. As much as anything, I'm just enjoying watching the story develop and unfold -- but I want to feel like I did everything "fair and square".

Like someone else said/did, I started getting irritated with the Brotherhood of Steel. Every time I did a mission to bring back a piece of tech for them or to clear an area for them, they only liked me if I kept doing more. And Paladin Danse was useful as a companion for a while, but as the story unfolded, I didn't like the way the BoS was revealed to be kind of a "New World Order" group of dictators who wanted to run *everything* their way. So I went back and killed all the BoS people at the police station after Fat Boy nuking Danse.

It hasn't affected any of the other missions or "side quests" I've been on since then, but I'm a little worried I made a bad decision and the game will prevent me from completing something because of it? On the other hand, I've noticed the NPC characters that aren't supposed to be killed CAN'T be permanently killed. So the fact it let me kill Danse tells me that's intended to be an option. I'm liking the Minutemen much more, right now.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Appreciate the tips!

My character is at around level 25 right now. I feel like I'm making pretty good progress through the game, but there's obviously a lot more I haven't done yet. I've been trying to avoid reading much of the walk-throughs and ignore any cheat codes, though I am playing on the easiest skill level. As much as anything, I'm just enjoying watching the story develop and unfold -- but I want to feel like I did everything "fair and square".

Like someone else said/did, I started getting irritated with the Brotherhood of Steel. Every time I did a mission to bring back a piece of tech for them or to clear an area for them, they only liked me if I kept doing more. And Paladin Danse was useful as a companion for a while, but as the story unfolded, I didn't like the way the BoS was revealed to be kind of a "New World Order" group of dictators who wanted to run *everything* their way. So I went back and killed all the BoS people at the police station after Fat Boy nuking Danse.

It hasn't affected any of the other missions or "side quests" I've been on since then, but I'm a little worried I made a bad decision and the game will prevent me from completing something because of it? On the other hand, I've noticed the NPC characters that aren't supposed to be killed CAN'T be permanently killed. So the fact it let me kill Danse tells me that's intended to be an option. I'm liking the Minutemen much more, right now.

I just reached the guys at the police station (Danse) and helping him with the first mission. "New World Order"?- I'll look out for that. ;) I'm not sure of the ramifications for taking this group out. I don't see it effecting the main quest, finding your son. What class are you playing? I'm using an Assassination Build, so far I'm discovering when there is a lot of adversaries, stealth only takes me so far, but I'm only about L12 an this build goes up to L50.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
@kingtj, Just to clarify on cheat codes. In F4, I'm mostly following the rules. However when one of my mods broke with a patch, I used them to restore a bunch of lost crops. I've also had things mysteriously disappear from my inventory. Cheat code to the rescue! :D

dragontology

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2016
Greenville, NC
There are really no secrets or spoilers about the Brotherhood of Steel. There is a pretty damn big spoiler about one of their members, but that's all I'll say. If you continue to work with the BoS, it will come out, and it leads to one of the more morally ambiguous side quests. I really like how that all played out. So don't take any rash action against them. That's my advice.

The Brotherhood of Steel is very up front about its goals and its methods. If you played Fallout 3, you might be misunderstanding them. History lesson time. No spoilers here. The Brotherhood of Steel is all about hoarding technology, and keeping mankind from advancing to the nuclear/fusion stage again, because of what happened the last time that happened. That's all they're about. When Elder Lyons got command in the Capital Wasteland (Fallout 3), he extended the Brotherhood mandate to help people. This was never part of the Brotherhood's goals, so many left, and became known as the Brotherhood Outcasts. Their power armor is painted red, and though they don't plan to attack the Brotherhood, they will attack them if they come across them in the field. During the events of Fallout 3, Elder Maxson was a little boy, and you could talk to him in the Citadel (the ruins of the Pentagon). Maxson grew up sympathetic to the Outcasts and the "real" Brotherhood, and I think Lyons grew to know he was wrong, and make amends by advancing Maxson up through the ranks. Not too sure on this last part. But Maxson was definitely raised by Lyons and I don't think there's ill will there.

So in Fallout 4, they are kind of the bad guys, but they aren't evil. The Institute are clearly the villains of this story. They have a couple of redeeming qualities, so it isn't totally black and white. But they are the least favorable of the three. (The Minutemen don't count as they are mutually exclusive to no one. The other three are mutually exclusive to one another.)

If you want the good guys, that's the Railroad. And they're the most fun faction as well, in my opinion. They have signs, like the Thieves Guild in Skyrim. In fact, it's pretty much the same. One of the first quests with them is one of the most fun in the game, and you literally get James Bond's gun as a reward. I mean literally. It's called The Deliverer, but it's a Walther PPK. And there's a mod to restore its original look (and of course I'm rocking it). Then you get the Ballistic Weave option, which lets you add a layer of armor to various clothing pieces. Up to 110 each for the suit and hat. Yes, you can have a hat with 110 armor, with Armorer IV. So a total of 220 with next to no weight. It's glorious.

You can actually work with all three mutually exclusive factions up until a certain point. The Railroad, being in the business of subterfuge and rescuing Synths, has you pose as an Institute operative, so it's the same quest two different ways. Mass Fusion. When the Institute (whether you're with them or the Railroad) or the Brotherhood say you're going to Mass Fusion, don't go the way they say. Fast travel out of there. You're done with them until you want to advance to the endgame. (You will have to do Mass Fusion for the Institute if you want to stay with the Railroad.) Once nobody has anything for you but Mass Fusion, you're at the point of no return and have to make a choice. I like to get to this point and then just be a free agent, doing the repeating quests for each of them. However, some of them are limited, like placing the MILA devices for the Railroad. That, and I think the DIA caches as well, only happen eight times. When you complete them, the Railroad starts sending you after Raider/Gunner groups that target Synths. I don't think these ever stop. The two quests the Brotherhood give you from the start, assisting those two scribes, and then the one from the Proctor on the Prydwen, those don't ever stop, either. So there's no finishing them. But they give good experience, so if getting all the perks is your goal, you don't want to wall those off by siding with another faction. Not to mention the caps the Brotherhood gives you for Technical Documents and Viable Blood Samples. And having their Quartermaster as a vendor.

Ironically, I'm "stuck," myself. After patch 1.5, mods disable achievements. Not just Bethesda.net mods, any of them. So if I make a new save, [M] gets added and I don't get achievements. And I want to collect them all. There's a hack, I just haven't done it yet. Really wish we didn't have to. I don't really care about achievements, but I do pride myself in having all of Bethesda's, as a fan of their games. And no mods help me do that. I mean, I have the Deliverer retexture. A few other retextures. A couple that help with settlements. I don't have any mods that give me an unfair advantage. I don't cheat. Well, I cheat on settlements, but they're not part of the game per se, they're just a side thing. So I don't really care about that. So I totally could disable all my mods and go forward and get the rest of the achievements without them. That's not the issue. If I do that, it will screw up my save. The best thing for me to do would be to disable all the mods, and start a new character. Rush the rest of the achievements, then enable the mods and continue with my current character. And I don't wanna have to do that. Le sigh.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The melee Assassin build- there a situations early in the build (level 14) where a knife and VATS simply does not cut it, but it's not been too horrible. Yet a gun is needed. ;) However I may reset my skills and give the Infiltrator build (see my guide link) a try, but honestly, at level 14, you could see weaknesses with the infiltrato too. It's not as if you are omnipotent at that point, lol. :)

How you ask?
https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/496881136915024329/

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Fallout 4-How to Reset Your Abilities
After ignoring Fallout 4 for a month I finally got around to resetting my SPECIAL skills and perks. A bit tedious but it worked as advertised. Using this link: How To Reset Fallout 4 Skills and Fallout 4 Perks along with the SPECIAL attributes, they can all be reset.

I read this Infiltrator Build article. It mentions an assassin build which sounded cool and maybe is cool at level 50, but I tried it and at level 14 it was lacking, at least for me. Many, probably most situations require a ranged weapon, and for this purpose the Gunslinger perk really shines. This was my motivation to respec for infiltrator. I've not regretted it and no power armor needed!

Start by launching the game and saving it. At level 14, I verified how many perks I had, with the number of ranks in each and counted them up. I wanted to make the switch, but not over or under power my toon for my current level. Using the build from the infiltrator article for reference I started modifying.

For SPECIAL abilities open the game consol using the tilde (~) key. Type in the command player.setav <perk> <level>, then hit return/enter. (Example: player.setav strength 4) In most cases text in the console will indicate the command registered. Multiple commands can be entered in the console, but if you want to verify open your pip boy (tab), then hit T to view the skills/perk page to verify the desired change happened.

For perks use the commands player.addperk <ID> or player.remove perk <ID>. The ID is the base ID listed for each perk, on the Fallout 4 Perks page. (Example- Iron Fist Rank 1= 0001dafe). For Action Boy/Action Girl, you'll see two IDs, the first is used on male characters, the second for female characters.

For adding perks, you just can't enter the final rank for a perk that you want, but have to enter each rank individually, they all have individual IDs. The same goes for removing them, start at the rank you currently have and remove in reverse order. For

At the end you should have a newly respeced toon. Good luck! :D

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Ok... I completely finished the game last week.
I don't want to post any big spoilers, for those of you still in the middle of it. But I've got to say -- the game really builds in intensity near the end. The story line gets GOOD and sucks you in, making you want to put in a LOT of time playing to find out what happens next. That's the good news. The bad news? Absolutely weak ending "cut scene". It leaves WAY too many questions unanswered. In fact, it's SO bad, it left me confused for a little while -- trying to keep playing a bit to find another mission that would advance the story further. I had that sinking suspicion of, "That may have actually been where they ended the main story ... but it CAN'T be! Let me wander around a bit and keep talking to people to see if they do anything else here." They didn't.

As I look the game up and read the discussions about it that include the spoilers, I see where this was the consensus of almost everyone who played it all the way through. Bethesda released additional DLC called "Far Harbor" last month that's supposed to add a lot of new content on the map and new missions. But right now, I feel so bitter about the ending, it makes me totally unwilling to pay a dime for more content that doesn't even address where they dropped the ball on the main story!

Supposedly, some people have picked through the source code for Fallout 4 and found a lot of evidence of pieces of the story they originally intended to put in, but skipped over. I have a feeling this game was a victim of sales/marketing people and others internally who demanded it ship by a certain date, at the expense of developing the ending further.

If people on here have also finished and want to talk more about it, I'm up for that! But for now, let me just say that you wind up under a lot of pressure to make choices which force you to side with one group over the others. In many cases, you're going to conclude (as I did) that the optimal solution is to try to get more than one of the groups to work together - but the game won't give you that opportunity. You wind up choosing a side, reluctantly, because of the "hope" or "gamble" that before the end of the game, you'll be able to leverage that decision to make some changes and turn things around for everyone. But they're not going to let you go there. This *could* be addressed in a Fallout 5 game if it was designed to continue where this left off -- but they didn't even make this feel like that was the plan. (No "To Be Continued" popping up after the cut-scene or anything like that.)

I just reached the guys at the police station (Danse) and helping him with the first mission. "New World Order"?- I'll look out for that. ;) I'm not sure of the ramifications for taking this group out. I don't see it effecting the main quest, finding your son. What class are you playing? I'm using an Assassination Build, so far I'm discovering when there is a lot of adversaries, stealth only takes me so far, but I'm only about L12 an this build goes up to L50.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.