Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RabidRabbit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Hi All,

I am trying to setup a family sharing account across countries. I am in the US but my father is in the UK. When we try to set it up, his setup states he needs to change his account so it is in the US. Obviously we don't want to do this. So, is there a way to setup family sharing across different countries?

Also, we only really want the photos option. Is there a way to just cancel the others?

Thanks in advance!

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Family sharing across countries?

Hi All,

I am trying to setup a family sharing account across countries. I am in the US but my father is in the UK. When we try to set it up, his setup states he needs to change his account so it is in the US. Obviously we don't want to do this. So, is there a way to setup family sharing across different countries?

Also, we only really want the photos option. Is there a way to just cancel the others?

Thanks in advance!

From Apple directly

"Not all content types are available in all countries. All family members must use the same iTunes Store country or region. "

https://developer.apple.com/icloud/documentation/family-sharing/

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Hi All,

Thanks in advance!

I dont think thats possible cuz Apple has to secure the rights for the content for every country individually so not every content is meant to be accessed or available from every where.

You could make a shared photostream i guess

RabidRabbit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Thanks for the replies.

I wish this had more control over it. We don't want the purchases, just to share docs and photos. We use the photo streaming, but hey, thought we would use the new approach as we could share the docs too.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Thanks for the replies.

I wish this had more control over it. We don't want the purchases, just to share docs and photos. We use the photo streaming, but hey, thought we would use the new approach as we could share the docs too.

You can use dropbox or google docs to easily share documents with each other.

RabidRabbit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
You can use dropbox or google docs to easily share documents with each other.

But this means using something else. iCloud should just allow us to have the control we need and select what we want to share.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

But this means using something else. iCloud should just allow us to have the control we need and select what we want to share.

Yours is a unique case because your family members are not in the same country. I don't think Apple thought about that scenario.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California

I think your only option, given the current state of iCloud, is:
For photos, have a shared photo stream that your whole family can contribute to.
For docs, share them via iCloud from within the relevant Pages/Numbers/Keynote app.

sparkybrit

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2015

Yours is a unique case because your family members are not in the same country. I don't think Apple thought about that scenario.

It's definitely not a unique case. There are loads of multi-lingual families in Europe, especially in polyglot cities like London (not to mention polyglot countries like Switzerland with FOUR official languages). It's a perfectly normal use case that my wife would want to buy Italian-language content from the Italian iTunes store and that I would want to buy English-language content from the UK iTunes store to share with our (bi-lingual) daughter to watch on our Apple TV via "Family Sharing".

I bet there are loads of English-Spanish bi-lingual families in the USA too, no?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I bet there are loads of English-Spanish bi-lingual families in the USA too, no?

The United States is not like Europe. Many Americans are bi-lingual (like myself) but we don't go changing our Appstore to a region outside the US, at least I've never come across someone who has. Besides, there is more of an advantage of having a US appstore set as we sometimes get access to features/apps first before the rest of the world.

Colworth145

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2015
It's definitely not a unique case. There are loads of multi-lingual families in Europe, especially in polyglot cities like London (not to mention polyglot countries like Switzerland with FOUR official languages). It's a perfectly normal use case that my wife would want to buy Italian-language content from the Italian iTunes store and that I would want to buy English-language content from the UK iTunes store to share with our (bi-lingual) daughter to watch on our Apple TV via "Family Sharing".

Here here! - most definitely not unique... mine is a multi-lingual household, I am English & have a UK based Apple ID, which I have had for years, setup back when I genuinely did live in the UK... Now I live in Norway, my Wife is Norwegian, and she has her own Apple ID (obviously she needs this as she has her own iPhone & iPad etc.). Her Apple ID is Norway based, - quite correctly... We have both had our own Apple ID's for years, and have loads of purchased content individually, so would frequently switch between our ID's on our Apple TV (gen 3), which was a reasonably seamless experience... Having just 'upgraded' that to the new Apple TV gen 4, I am quite dismayed to see they have changed the way ATV handles multiple accounts, such that AFAICT, there is no longer a way to have it store & remember the details of 2 Apple IDs, and allow quick selection & switching between them... it seems like it now relies on Family sharing.... - which we cannot setup between our ID's...
Backwards step... :-(
Now, whenever we want to switch to my wife's Norwegian AppleID, we have to go through the tedious process of "adding" it again from scratch, slowly pecking out the account credentials one character at a time...
THIS IS NOT "APPLE" USER-FRIENDLY!!

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
Yeah, this is annoying. My wife is from Japan and we use her Japanese iTunes to rent movies together on the Apple TV so we get Japanese subtitles. Now we'll have to create a separate dedicated account for the TV if she decides she likes Music and wants to switch her iTunes account over.

skachel

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016

I don't think this is a unique case. I live in Australia, work in the US, and my family lives in Germany. I added all my family members to a US family account but now I am stuck. I wanted to get Apple Music but I can't here in Australia. Apple didn't think that through at all.

ridleyscott

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2010
I don't think this is a unique case. I live in Australia, work in the US, and my family lives in Germany. I added all my family members to a US family account but now I am stuck. I wanted to get Apple Music but I can't here in Australia. Apple didn't think that through at all.
[doublepost=1484334827][/doublepost]not a unique case at all: bilingual families are a reality, pretty big mistake from apple

tklong

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2017
Same problem here. German-Mexican couple living in the US. Buying German movies with German iTunes account, most music with US account including iTunes Match. It's a pain that it cannot be all combined into a single media access.

ridleyscott

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2010
There is a tiny update on this one, the page https://www.apple.com/support/icloud/family-sharing/ now reads only

Not all content is eligible for Family Sharing.
there is no reference to country or region, I just tried and the outcome is the usual: :/

Pasted.png

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
hey anyone got this working? my sister is in england and i want to share the icloud sotrage with her. not the purchases. How to go about it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.