Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I'm a simple guy, I like scotch and my favourite is Johnnie Walker red label. I've tried different ones but that seems to be the best one for my taste buds. I'm not a connoisseur though so my opinion doesn't matter.

While I prefer Macallan's finding and choosing what does it for you is the goal.
Yes, your opinion is yours and it does matter. Enjoy your JWR :)

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
Had some of this in a bar in Seattle.

902ed7c00e2e62b5226193fc83007d8e.jpg

BenAigen

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2014
Up a hill
On a recent 6 week vacation in America, I tried the Old Fashioned in a nice little bar.
This drink is not for me - very very sweet for my taste, but I did drink it - had to wash it down with a Guinness though:D

I will stick with my single malt (cask strength when I can get it):)
IMG_5442.jpg

IMG_5445.jpg

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
On a recent 6 week vacation in America, I tried the Old Fashioned in a nice little bar.
This drink is not for me - very very sweet for my taste, but I did drink it - had to wash it down with a Guinness though:D

View attachment 847375

View attachment 847376

try a Manhattan next time. alternatively, ask for less sugar/simple syrup in the old fashioned.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

View attachment 847375

View attachment 847376
I’m a US native who after reading the recipe, a couple of spoons of syrup, I was reminded of Southern Comfort a very sweet whiskey, and would never choose to drink an Old Fashioned. I do like my whiskey slightly sweet, but neat. Wild Turkey 101 bourbon is currently my whiskey of choice. :)

Reactions: BenAigen

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm really enjoying this scotch a lot. The Macallan Triple Cask, 15 years old.

Triple Cask Matured
The Macallan Triple Cask Matured 15 Years Old forms part of our Triple Cask Matured range; a series of single malt whiskies crafted in a triple cask combination of European and American sherry seasoned oak casks and American ex-bourbon oak casks. An expert marriage of these three distinct cask types, this is a sublime single malt with vibrant orange and chocolate flavors.
Their tasting notes aside, I find it silky smooth with a nice hint of honey and wow does it taste extraordinary.
Screenshot_2019-07-31 Triple Cask Matured 15 Years Old - The Macallan Single Malt.png

BenAigen

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2014
Up a hill

Their tasting notes aside, I find it silky smooth with a nice hint of honey and wow does it taste extraordinary.
View attachment 850903

Another excellent whisky and overall The Macallan is one of the great whiskies of the world. If you have a bucket list - then I would recommend that you visit the distillery, you will not be disappointed. Check out the Macallan website and take a tour of the new distillery online. I live 3 miles away and love visiting.

Ben

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

View attachment 847375

View attachment 847376

I like the tall dark and handsome glass of Guinness you have pictured! :)

Reactions: BenAigen

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

View attachment 850903

"Silky smooth" is exactly the sort of tasting note I wish to read when a whisky (or whiskey) is being described. And "a nice hint of honey" won't go amiss either.

Sounds wonderful.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
"Silky smooth" is exactly the sort of tasting note I wish to read when a whisky (or whiskey) is being described. And "a nice hint of honey" won't go amiss either.

Sounds wonderful.
Another excellent whisky and overall The Macallan is one of the great whiskies of the world.
Every Macallan whisky I've had, and there's been several, I've loved.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I haven’t had scotch in a while. Sadly there’s an Autumn feel to the weather already, so to wrap it in a silver lining maybe I’ll toss on some ribs and have a couple glasses toward the end of the cook.
[doublepost=1566050265][/doublepost]

Yep, sweet. Where was it made? A Wisconsin Old Fashioned is unique.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Am I one of the few that enjoys peaty scotches?

When I was in CA and lived near Costco, I used to go through a bottle of Lagavulin 16 once every 2-3 weeks for 8 months.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Checking out the price of The Macallan while on vacation in USA - ABC Store:)

View attachment 850998
Also incredibly overpriced. I've bought the same 18 year for just under $270 before. The other ones can be had for $20-50 cheaper depending on state and store.

Though that isn't too bad. I've seen a major price difference in fine Japanese whiskeys. Upwards of $100 in some cases. It's nuts.

This is why I tell people to make friends with your beer, wine or alcohol guy. Buy them a gift here and there. Make chit chat. You can often get discounts or sometimes free stuff if you buy enough. I've had my wine guy throw in a crate or two of wine for free that retailed a couple hundred. I've been shopping at their place since 2005.

[doublepost=1566107357][/doublepost]

When I was in CA and lived near Costco, I used to go through a bottle of Lagavulin 16 once every 2-3 weeks for 8 months.
It was a daily drinker for me for many years after a friend recommended it. Very tired of it now. I've got maybe a bottle or two somewhere in the house. I keep it on hand for certain people we have over who enjoy it.

BenAigen

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2014
Up a hill

I also enjoy a lightly peated malt like - Ardbeg, Port Ellen, Bowmore Talisker, BUT do not enjoy as much a Caol Ila or Bruichladdich which leaves me with an after taste of antiseptic like TCP.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I had to look up Port Ellen. No wonder I've never heard of it. Hasn't existed in 30+ years!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.