Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i finally made it to 7 digits. over 1 million points for folding@home. now we just need more people to get the team striving again

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
thanks! with those bigadv units i almost feel like im cheating!

yeah i know what you mean. but having 2 towers running full blast in one small apartment room is not good for me right now, so i'm going to wait on the bigadv units for right now

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
thanks. like i said, i'll have them coming when it gets colder. but it looks like mc68k will keep them coming

EDIT: and congrats to you! over 2 million now!
only at work, i may not fold at home now that bigadv gets enough points

Congrats on the 2M SciFrog!

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Yup, but actually almost at 4mio with points of my old team combined ;)

What I am shooting for is the #5 overall spot of the team, maybe by year end...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Yup, but actually almost at 4mio with points of my old team combined ;)

What I am shooting for is the #5 overall spot of the team, maybe by year end...

oh wow. nice.

hey it's good to have goals. right now my goal is to get into the top 20. second goal is 2 million points after that, which would put me around 11th or 12th

Storm9

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
thanks. when it gets colder here, i'll start doing the bigadv units again. then the points should really add up. if they keep the units going.

What are bigadv units? and how do I run them?

I am currently running two instances using:
./fah6 -local -smp -verbosity 9

do I just add the flag ' -bigadv ' to my command above?

PS: I have a 2.53ghz MBP

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

bigadv units are a new project that folding@home has started. there is a thread about it here.

but as already stated, you cannot run these units on iMacs or laptops. you need either an 8-core mac, or a very fast 4-core i7 machine. if you don't have one of these, then your computer will not be able to meet the deadlines

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002

the command is ./fah6 -bigadv -smp 8 -local replace with 16 for 16 cores

a MP with 8 cores takes 3+ days out of 6 so it's doubtful a 2.53GHz 2 core would do it by the deadline

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well guys, i might be cutting back even more for right now. heat is becoming an issue. i made a thread about it here. at my current rate, i think i'll have the air on in my apartment in the dead of winter!

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
well guys, i might be cutting back even more for right now. heat is becoming an issue. i made a thread about it here. at my current rate, i think i'll have the air on in my apartment in the dead of winter!

I know what you mean, my small house keeps toasty just from the computers running. The problem is getting the heat moved from the computer room... thus a box fan in the door pushing in cool air at the bottom.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I know what you mean, my small house keeps toasty just from the computers running. The problem is getting the heat moved from the computer room... thus a box fan in the door pushing in cool air at the bottom.

yeah i might have to invest in a fan. this is crazy in my place. the air on when it's 45 degrees outside! :eek:

Thanks, and sorry I just moved past you:D for now anyway...

on no, i'm glad your able to put up those numbers. i would if it wasn't for the heat in this little apartment

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.