Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CPJ

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2008
Kansas City, MO
iPod Touch/MacBook Pro Issue and How I Solved It

My iPod Touch (3rd Gen) worked fine until last night. My issues were that the MBP (10.6.8, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5) stated that the iPod was not recognized and couldn't be synced. Then it wouldn't charge the iPod.

Today I plugged it in and the MBP threw up that warning that a USB device was drawing too much power and had been disabled. I came here and read the entire thread.

Restarted everything, tried again, plugged it in to the AC adapter and it still didn't charge. Restarted computer and iPod, nada. Still doing the same things.

I saw that someone said they plugged the cord in without plugging it in to the iPod, and I tried that - I got the "USB device drawing too much power" message again, unplugged the cord, plugged it in to the second USB port and it shut down the computer. I did this twice to make sure the cord was causing the shutdown.

SO, I dug out the original Apple charging cord that came with the iPod and tried the same thing. No warning message. Then I took it to the AC adapter and plugged the iPod in, and remembering that someone here had said to "give it a few minutes," I did, and voilà! It started charging.

Finally, I plugged the iPod in to the MBP with the original cord, it synced and was recognized.

So, BAD third party cord was the problem. Considering it was about 3 years old, I don't feel too bad.

I hope my saga helps someone else!

Thanks for helping me. :)

Dreamerbee

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2015
Plug it in to charge and then hold down the sleep and home button until it turns on.
I know this is an old post. I'm hoping you're still around. You're a Genius!! This worked for me. I was cryin the blues over the death of tunes. Love you forever, JMANN

sx12Xox

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2016
london
Plug it in to charge and then hold down the sleep and home button until it turns on.
it wont work my mum took it off me and then kept it she gave it back 2day n it wont turn on and when I put it on charge nothing shows up I plugged it in for 2 days and nothing help pleeeasee?????????

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
FYI, someone I know was having a lot of problems with his iPhone 6 not charging. He was about to take it to the Apple Store, because the Lightning port was the cause of the problem. It was not holding the connection properly.

i took a look at it and asked him for a couple of toothpicks. Then removed a big ball of lint (about 2mm x 1 mm) from inside the connector. It took me a while because I had to pull the lint from the sides too.
Now his phone works perfectly.
I guess lint could cause these problems to other people's iPhones too. So give this a try first, before giving up.

matt Y

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2018

You saved the day. I tried everything and my ipod wouldnt turn on, wouldnt charge, wouldnt be recognized by computer = device unknown, wall charger did not work. Pressed PWR and HOME but held them down for 20-30 seconds and it turned on with 1/2 power left. I know I know, crazy huh. Anywho, TYVM

AndyPa

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2019
hey guys, i woke up this morning and my iPod was dead. i turned it on and i had 2% battery left. i plugged it in to this Apple charger thing i got at the Apple storewhen i got my iPod Touch. i saw it wasnt charging so i thought it was the charger so i plugged my iPod into my laptop but nothing happened. my iPod died after i plugged it into my iPod so i knew it wasnt charging. i tried all 4 USB ports on my laptop and all the ports on my desktop computer but nothing. when i try to turn it on i get the red battery thing. i didnt do anything to my iPod, it was working fine the other day and it was only under my pillow overnight not charging. this iPod isnt even a year old, i got it last christmas. i dropped it on the sidewalk once but that was a few months ago and it worked fine after that. please help me

I spent 3-4 days trying to resolve the iPod touch not moving past 1% or so charging when plugged in Apple charger with apple cable. This forum helped to revive the iPod touch to actually starting to charge and move past the 1% charging red color charging symbol.
1. As someone mentioned look at the charging connection on iPod and clean it. Air blower can help or just clean with a thin stick...
2. Grab hold of original Apple charger and Apple cable.
3. Connect the Apple iPod touch to cable and connect to AC outlet (not usb on computer)
4. Press power /sleep button on iPod touch and also press home button, hold both done for few seconds. See if Apple icon appears on screen. If so proceed to next step.
5. let the iPod touch charge for few minutes.
6. My iPod touch made a beep sound and then it finally moved past the initial 1% charging (which it was refusing to move past before above steps...no matter how differently i tried changing cables, chargers, pressing other buttons etc...)
7. Allow it to charge for 30 or so mins.
8. Step 4 is important, if Apple logo appears then ok, else you will have to try different combinations, such as plug in leave it for 20 mins, then press power/sleep and home button and hold both down for few secs and release...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.