Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v2club

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011
Find my iPhone is completely useless if the device is not connected to the internet via 3G or Wifi. However the iPhone has GPS which does not require either any connection, when I open Maps without Internet connection it still finds my position, even though the map is grey and I cannot see anything. Since I'm using a computer with an Internet connection to find my iPhone, why I cannot use the GPS signal of my iPhone and the internet connection of my computer to locate its position?

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Find my iPhone is completely useless if the device is not connected to the internet via 3G or Wifi. However the iPhone has GPS which does not require either any connection, when I open Maps without Internet connection it still finds my position, even though the map is grey and I cannot see anything. Since I'm using a computer with an Internet connection to find my iPhone, why I cannot use the GPS signal of my iPhone and the internet connection of my computer to locate its position?

Find My iPhone requires a data connection to report back where it is to the iCloud server, and listen for the "Call" of "WHERE ARE YOU" from iCloud. GPS doesn't provide a data connection, only provides your device with it's location.

v2club

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011
GPS doesn't provide a data connection, only provides your device with it's location.

Is there any way I can see my device's location using the GPS signal, I mean people use GPS to locate lost cars, cats etc.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Is there any way I can see my device's location using the GPS signal, I mean people use GPS to locate lost cars, cats etc.

People use GPS in combination with a data connection to locate things like that. Those devices have a cellular (3g) radio in them. If there's no 3g, it won't work. Try Find My iPhone anyway --- maybe it has some sort of cellular connection it can "phone home" with.

v2club

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011
Got it, how about if my iPhone is stollen and they wipe it clean, reset everything and activate it again as a new iPhone but the "find my iPhone" function is still enabled, and the iPhone is connected to the Internet, will I be able to locate it or the reset will not allow me to do so?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Got it, how about if my iPhone is stollen and they wipe it clean, reset everything and activate it again as a new iPhone but the "find my iPhone" function is still enabled, and the iPhone is connected to the Internet, will I be able to locate it or the reset will not allow me to do so?
No, you won't. When they reset the phone, the phone no longer has your Apple ID account information to report its location back to.

If you're in the US and your phone is stolen, you can report it to your carrier, who can blacklist it from being used on their networks. Makes it worthless to whoever stole it, unless they're crafty enough to know how to hack around the carrier's block, or plan on selling your iPhone overseas.

BuyThisMobile

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2018
hello, I am sorry, I am wondering if the system has improved or if it is still possible for thieves to wipe all my data and then make it impossible for me to find my iphone ? Since I "lost" it, it still shows at the same location, so it means that it's hopeless ? And if they start it without SIM card, then it won't connect to data, but if they connect it to their wifi, will I be notified ? Thank you for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.