Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kes.Siebring

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2017
Planet E-arth
Running the latest Catalina (fresh install) on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017).

At some random point of time I'm no longer able to open or copy/move any file :
When I try to open any file a get an error dialog message saying that <filename> can not be opened.

Error log shows that filecoordinationd have some troubles :

Code:
Sending of a 'provide' message was interrupted: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099
"The connection to service on pid 0 created from an endpoint was invalidated from this process."
UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=The connection to service on pid 0 created from an endpoint was invalidated from this process.}

Restart or killing filecoordination daemon helps, but not for long...

Quite annoying, anyone else having the same problem ?

Reactions: jpn and Florpy

mbrna

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
I have this same problem when I try to open pdf files with Preview or spreadsheets with Numbers. It doesn't matter if I try to open the file with the app, or if I try to double-click the file in Finder (to get the app to open the file). I still get this output on the console: Sending of a 'provide' message was interrupted: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099 "The connection to service on pid 0 created from an endpoint was invalidated from this process." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=The connection to service on pid 0 created from an endpoint was invalidated from this process.}

Florpy

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2014
ABC 4
I’ve been encountering this almost daily since the release of 10.15.1. I ran Catalina on a different machine during the beta period, and installed Catalina on day one of release. This behavior definitely seems tied to the first point release.

labuss

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2019
This work around or fix worked for me. Like most of you after the 10.15.1 update I lost the ability to open files from finder and even the command line (Terminal).

Create a new user on your Mac. I created one named "test". Nothing special, regular user etc.
Logout as the current user, login as the user you just created.
Test the ability to open files in Finder, double click on the Desktop, "drag and drop", etc. All should behave normally.
I restarted my machine at this point
Login to the normal user account for your Mac and see if the problem corrected itself.

This did the trick for me and has been going strong for a couple days now.

Oh ya, don't forget to remove the account you just added

Hope this helps!

Good luck
-LB

cbruzsa

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019
The work around from labuss does not work for me. Can anybody help me writing a Apple skript for unload and load the filecoordination daemon? This would help a lot.
Thanks in advance

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Running the latest Catalina (fresh install) on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017).

At some random point of time I'm no longer able to open or copy/move any file :
When I try to open any file a get an error dialog message saying that <filename> can not be opened.

Error log shows that filecoordinationd have some troubles :

Code:
Sending of a 'provide' message was interrupted: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099
"The connection to service on pid 0 created from an endpoint was invalidated from this process."
UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=The connection to service on pid 0 created from an endpoint was invalidated from this process.}

Restart or killing filecoordination daemon helps, but not for long...

Quite annoying, anyone else having the same problem ?

i read with interest your post.

i have a similar -yet quite different kind of problem.

some time ago, after updating to Catalina, i began to not being able to open files that are listed in the Recent Items menu (apple/Recent Items).
if i try to open any file that is listed in Recent Items, it will give the error message:
The application “a” does not have permission to open “b.”
endquote
Example: if i try to open a .pdf, or, .pages, or .numbers file directly from Recent Items while Safari is open/given focus on the screen, the message: "The application “Safari” does not have permission to open “(name of file).”
Of course i am not expecting Safari to open a .numbers file. but i am expecting that by calling up a .numbers file that is listed in Recent Items will use Numbers to open it,even if Safari is the open application, ie, the way it has always worked before. but it no longer does that.
if however i am trying to open the same file through Finder, the Finder knows enough to use the correct app.
and, if i simply just touch the desktop (thereby giving Desktop the focus, i can open the file directly from Recent Items.

the problem i am having doesn't seem to have anything to do with user permissions, but with file association.

its different from the problem you are having, but its clear that something deep within Catalina is allowing these kinds of problems to happen.

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
the problem i am having doesn't seem to have anything to do with user permissions, but with file association.
Do a Get Info on the items and make sure that the default Open With is correct.

DS

Reactions: jpn

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Do a Get Info on the items and make sure that the default Open With is correct.

DS

hi
yes. the default Open With is the recommended one.
Get Info confirms that in both the case of individual documents the recommended app is shown as the correct one, and for a Get Info on the app itself i have also made sure that like documents are always set to use that recommended app as well.
this is a strange problem...
somehow, any item in the Recent Items list fails to see the system wide set, expected application to be used to open that document.

Last edited:

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
hi
yes. the default Open With is the recommended one.
Get Info confirms that in both the case of individual documents the recommended app is shown as the correct one, and for a Get Info on the app itself i have also made sure that like documents are always set to use that recommended app as well.
this is a strange problem...
somehow, any item in the Recent Items list fails to see the system wide set, expected application to be used to open that document.

after updating to macOS 10.15.2 today (Dec 11), i can happily conform that the problem i mention in my post has been solved.
this is good news, as it may be an indication that a lot of other file location wierdness (such as how Mail keeps track of (or rather has been losing / deleting mail -) may also be fixed. crossing my fingers that Mail is fixed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.