Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well, Glocks do have a loaded chamber indicator, but since it's not a red stop light that says LOADED they don't think it's good enough.
Not for nothing but the Ruger LC9S and the S&W M&P Shield only have windows. From what I read Glock and Mass both couldn't come to an agreement and Glock walked away.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well, I was able to locate an M&P shield thanks to a cop friend of mine. He recommend a great gun store and they had one in stock.

I'm still just getting used to the feel and operation of it. I probably won't get out to the shooting range until next week, but at least I have this now. :)

IMG_1373.png

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
Well, Glocks do have a loaded chamber indicator, but since it's not a red stop light that says LOADED they don't think it's good enough.

Not for nothing but the Ruger LC9S and the S&W M&P Shield only have windows. From what I read Glock and Mass both couldn't come to an agreement and Glock walked away.

And I wholeheartedly agree with Glock. I know Springfield has issues with states like CA for the same type of reasons.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sweet! Be sure to kept us updated.
Will do. I found the slide to be very very stiff, but after doing some research on the net, that doesn't seem really surprising as the S&W uses a really strong RS. Most of what I saw for solutions is to pump, a couple of gun hundred rounds through it and it should loosen up.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Will do. I found the slide to be very very stiff, but after doing some research on the net, that doesn't seem really surprising as the S&W uses a really strong RS. Most of what I saw for solutions is to pump, a couple of gun hundred rounds through it and it should loosen up.

Let us know how you like it. I used to have one but I couldn't shoot it for the life of me!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Let us know how you like it. I used to have one but I couldn't shoot it for the life of me!
I had the hardest time finding a place to take my gun. Many of the gun ranges are private clubs and to join these clubs you need to know a member in good standing. Those that didn't never returned my voicemail - I found a public shooting range and I fired off about 50 rounds.

Overall, I'm happy with the gun, the slide is tight as I mentioned but it was serviceable. The gun has a nice kick to it, more then I was initially expecting. I've fired 9mm handguns before, and I don't recall kick back being so strong.

I was fairly accurate, with some nice center mass groupings. Given that I haven't been out for a while, I'm happy with the results.

IMG_1375.png

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I had the hardest time finding a place to take my gun. Many of the gun ranges are private clubs and to join these clubs you need to know a member in good standing. Those that didn't never returned my voicemail - I found a public shooting range and I fired off about 50 rounds.

Overall, I'm happy with the gun, the slide is tight as I mentioned but it was serviceable. The gun has a nice kick to it, more then I was initially expecting. I've fired 9mm handguns before, and I don't recall kick back being so strong.

I was fairly accurate, with some nice center mass groupings. Given that I haven't been out for a while, I'm happy with the results.

View attachment 620982
That doesn't look bad at all. Did you try off-hand or unsupported? The M&P looks polymer, so if the 9mm's you fired before were all metal, this is going to have more kick. I keep renting 357s in small frames that just have more kick than a full frame gun ever does. This was comparing a Ruger SP101 to a GP100. The SP101 just spanks my hand.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The M&P looks polymer,
It is.

I'm generally happy with the gun, I cleaned it last night, I need to improve those skill as well but I think that will occur in time. I'll not be able to get back out to the range for a few weeks, but I'm anxious :)

Did you try off-hand or unsupported?
No not yet, I'm just trying to nail down the basics :)

Reactions: millerj123

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

View attachment 620982

Nice shooting, how far away did you put the target?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nice shooting, how far away did you put the target?
A couple of inches :p

It was the first demarcation that everyone else was shooting. Tbh, I'm not exactly sure how far out.

It was over 15 feet, maybe 25? The next time I go out, I'll have to be more vigilante in determining the distance. I was just happy to finally get to the gun range.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Finally get to post in this thread :)

I have been going hunting with my father in law for a few years now. This fall I plan to buy my first rifle, but I decided to get a shotgun first for the upcoming turkey season. I have also wanted one around for home defense.

My budget is limited due to son number two coming next week. :)

I did a lot of research and narrowed it down to a Maverick 88 12 gauge with the 28" barrel. I also added a few little things to make it my own:

Hogue over molded 12" LOP stock.
Truglo fiber optic sights
Uncle Mike's sling mounts
Mossy Oak sling
Primos Tightwad turkey choke

I am storing it in a Plano dual gun case so that I can use it for the rifle as well.

Headed out to the range to fire it for the first time tomorrow!

Now on to the good stuff:

9693a05e50295ece07ed282db78827d0.jpg

a0a803239cc5ecd57271e36bd4128994.jpg

0bc6a466a4fc2b33e52bb7d2dfc652e4.jpg

fd79ca25461a26e846d272051fbfb230.jpg

fcf8c5c3f7b512b4fa416ada7aeb5c45.jpg

02891abf1eec567a83334b266dfc9d47.jpg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Congrats.

You have two locks on that bad boy. I have the yellow one that goes through the barrel and breach for my 9mm. I'm not really fan of that lock, I'll be looking for a trigger lock instead. I also have it locked up in a safe

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Congrats.

You have two locks on that bad boy. I have the yellow one that goes through the barrel and breach for my 9mm. I'm not really fan of that lock, I'll be looking for a trigger lock instead. I also have it locked up in a safe

I have two more locks on the case haha. I have a two year old running around with another one on the way. It is hidden under the bed in the case, but I figured I'd make it as safe as possible.

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
Keep it in a safe, trigger locks are a joke.

You can load a round in most firearms, and still use the trigger lock to discharge the round.... (there are many reports of this happening in the news in the past, even though many states "require" them) The cable locks are better, but nothing beats a safe. A true safe.. not the cheap bio lock or button combo to open safes. (ALL can be disabled easily, Bio lock can be reset with a paperclip...) The trigger locks can be easily picked, or pried open with a simple screwdriver. or if not completely tight on the guard.. can be moved to press the trigger.

On most firearms, you can install a trigger lock and THEN insert a round into the chamber. you now have a loaded firearm with a metal rod next to the trigger... Put a trigger lock on a revolver... open the cylinder and insert a round (or 6) close cylinder and cock the hammer.
How do you safely remove the rounds? can't open the cylinder now... can't release the hammer.. you must remove the lock. Insert a key, connected to a metal rod that sits right next to a trigger that is already halfway depressed...
Now picture a child who has watched someone on TV load a revolver do the same..

*some* firearms trigger guard designs prevent the "lock" from being inserted "correctly" so they are much easier to discharge with the lock on than others. All of the trigger locks are designed the same and they all have the same warning in the fine print saying they are not effective on all firearms.

Remember Cooper's Four Rules

1. All guns are always loaded.
2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not prepared to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger til your sights are on the target.
4. Be sure of your target.

A trigger lock violates #3, but gun control advocates claim it's "safe"...
Finger or metal rod, it doesn't matter. NOTHING goes inside the trigger guard.

I know some people swear by them as being safe, I will never do so. You purposely put a metal rod next to the trigger and compromise the most basic gun safety rules.
The cable locks are much better, but can be also compromised with a pair of pliers. Search youtube on how easily the single gun locks/safes (Bio safe, button combo safe, etc) can be disabled. If it's on youtube... a child can find it as well.

There is no all in one solution that will work for every model of firearm ever made, except education and a real safe.

(not meaning to start an argument, and I know some will disagree with the above..)

IMO everyone who decides to own firearms, should also buy a shotgun! So versatile.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I have a trigger lock on a bb gun, but seeing how easy they are to get around, I wouldn't trust one to keep a gun safe.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
I love my AMD65 and it's a work in progress to find a balance between weight, and improved usability and ergonomics. There have been about 8 stages so far, but these are the three I have kept it on for the longest, from stock, to a stage I was comfortable at, then to a stage that it is at now, that reduces weight and improves function as an extension of my physiology. There are still parts coming in and work to be done, but this is pretty much what my AK will be at until I need to change something else.

It's about 9 pounds, loaded. I am going to change the brake to a tantal which will reduce a few ounces because that heavy fat brake is huge. Also gotta hit it with a coat of flat black where it shines and then go out and get it all dirty and worn again.

STOCK
amd65_002web.jpg

First stage that I found a good balance and kept it at for a couple of years.
IMG_6097.jpeg

And now after new tech has been released to cut down on weight, new advanced trigger (not installed yet), and more ergonomic. (The color combination was inspired by an AR I saw)
Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 6.21.43 AM.png

Installed the AK trigger. It's amazing.

I have to find a way to mount the dual switch without a rail, or zip ties, so it's back to the momentary on, for now. Other than a new break, It's done.

n5ko4x.jpg

Last edited:

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
Made one change to my primary rifle since the Dec 2015 (above before, below after).

https://www.ocabj.net/the-state-of-the-rifle-december-2015/

I got the new streamlight protac rail for my wife's ar today. She had previously had a surefire, but I just wanted to see how this light was and it turns out we are going to leave the protac on. I will leave my surefire on though, but if I had the option when I bought my surefires, I probably would had gotten the pro tacs. The only question is how well it would really hold up. I'll never know, but they seem to be of equal.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Got a new M&P and had lot's of time today.
I have that (the 9mm flavor) and I like it a lot. I'm thinking of getting a Ruger LCR or a Smith & Wesson J frame. Something more "pocketable" I have no criticisms on the Shield, but for the summer, I need something a bit easier to conceal. Massachusetts is very strict on is conceal and carry and I want to be sure I stay on the right side of the law when I'm wearing t-shirts/shorts

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
I have that (the 9mm flavor) and I like it a lot. I'm thinking of getting a Ruger LCR or a Smith & Wesson J frame. Something more "pocketable" I have no criticisms on the Shield, but for the summer, I need something a bit easier to conceal. Massachusetts is very strict on is conceal and carry and I want to be sure I stay on the right side of the law when I'm wearing t-shirts/shorts

I understand. Concealing in Texas used to be an issue as well. If the grip popped out and someone called the cops, the court hearings would be ridiculous compared to the innocent accident. Now we have licensed open carry, so my skinny ass isn't afraid of something that's not tiny. I think the M&P with compact grip is as small as I will go. I have big hands and long fingers.

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.