Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Can anyone help me with two questions:

1) Has the software update feature for Firefox ever work in identifying that there is a new version of FF itself out? I get updates to themes and extensions, but never FF. PR didn't find 1.0 when I clicked the prefs check for updates, and 1.0 didn't find 1.0.1, and now 1.0.1 didn't find 1.0.2. In the previous two cases, this was true even a couple weeks after the release of the new version (months for a lab PC using PR 0.8 that I hadn't been using for a while). So I figure that for some reason, the feature just doesn't work for me, in spite of the fact that there is an option checked right there, to look for FF updates.

2) Since search plug-ins are stored inside the contents of Firefox, what do people do in order to avoid having to re-install all their search plug-ins? Archive the directory and restore it? Or is there an easier way?

Rocky3478

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
mkrishnan said:
Can anyone help me with two questions:

1) Has the software update feature for Firefox ever work in identifying that there is a new version of FF itself out? I get updates to themes and extensions, but never FF. PR didn't find 1.0 when I clicked the prefs check for updates, and 1.0 didn't find 1.0.1, and now 1.0.1 didn't find 1.0.2. In the previous two cases, this was true even a couple weeks after the release of the new version (months for a lab PC using PR 0.8 that I hadn't been using for a while). So I figure that for some reason, the feature just doesn't work for me, in spite of the fact that there is an option checked right there, to look for FF updates.

2) Since search plug-ins are stored inside the contents of Firefox, what do people do in order to avoid having to re-install all their search plug-ins? Archive the directory and restore it? Or is there an easier way?

1) I don't believe so.

2) I just uninstall and reinstall the new version of Firefox. I haven't noticed that I lose anything, bookmarks, extensions, or plugins.

Oh, and I'm on a Windows :mad: machine. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Hope this helps you out.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Rocky3478 said:
1) I don't believe so.

2) I just uninstall and reinstall the new version of Firefox. I haven't noticed that I lose anything, bookmarks, extensions, or plugins.

Oh, and I'm on a Windows :mad: machine. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Hope this helps you out.

I don't know how the Windows version works, because I haven't updated one recently, but in both Windows and MacOS, *search* plug-ins ONLY are stored with the program files -- within the "c:\program files\mozilla firefox\searchplugins" folder in Windows and in the /applications/.../firefox/contents/MacOS/searchplugins folder in MacOS. Whereas all other extensions and themes are at least referenced in the profile, so that Firefox still has them on upgrade. But when you upgrade FF on a Mac by dragging the file from the disk image over the copy on the HD, it does overwrite any search plug-ins with the default, and the only way I've found around this is to archive the searchplugins folder before updating. I'm sure the FF people must be aware of this though...but still, maybe I should bother to make a comment in the FF forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
joey4127 said:
Guess I should update my 1.0 version.

You should. There're only security updates and minor bug-fixes in 1.0.1 and 1.0.2, but security updates are a good thing. ;) Also, even if you have searchplugins, the upgrade is very painless. And if you don't, then it's just drag and drop! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.