Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Is it worth buying an Apple thunderbolt display with a wire like this?apart from that it seems in good nick and it comes in its original boc if i could get it for say 270 could i just put tape around it will i have to do what the guy sais down below?

1575155034270.png

Firewire casibf ing has broken near the connection but this in no way effects the function of the cable and as shown in the close image, the actual cable beneath is undamaged. I’ve wrapped electrical wire around the cable for now but some heat shrink tubing would provide a safer and more permanent solution.
1575154726817.png
I

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
He has got all the packing with i
1575155842135.png
1575155811749.png
1575155777516.png
1575155747920.png
1575155666553.png

[automerge]1575156717[/automerge]
The screen and casing are in immaculate condition with no visible scratches and no sign of screen degradation or dead pixels It is hust that cable i am worried about should i be worried about it?One thing is sure it would get to me not broken unlike other one i got on ebay all well packed here and double boxedi hope someone tells me on here if it is worth buying with cable like that .

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Buy it only if you really like the design. The benefits of the ports on the back of the screen are minimal, as you can get a USB hub with the ports you need. For USB C devices you can get a hub that will charge your MacBook and let you use a screen of your choice.

The magsafe 1 is old, so newer magsafe 2 devices are not going to work (is there a dongle?) and the current generation is right out as its all USB C. The resolution is a little on the low side, and if you consider that even the iPad Pro supports 4K displays this display is quite old. If it is just about the large screen, there are many to choose from and will let you use newer connections like HDMI as well.

The electrical tape is ok from an insulating point of view, but the glue will weaken over time from handling and will unravel (in my experience). Heat shrink in 3:1 or 4:1 ratios might work, especially if it comes with a glue liner that holds onto the existing casing.

All Apple cables seem to die like this, especially where you always touch them. Plus the strain relief is nonexistent, as seen how the casing always seems to break after the strain relief. Do a quick image search on broken lightning cables and see how they seem to look like your thunderbolt cable.

My magsafe 2 charging cord had some cracking and peeling near the end, and the casing felt softer than the rest of the cable where it is touched less. I wrapped it in self vulcanizing rubber tape and it seems to work quite well and remain flexible.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Thanks for the reply . Yes, I do.I have a Mac mini 2012 so don,t need a dongle, I was thinking of this to fix the cable.https://youtu.be/kEgaNRcQ2XY?t=3 Now i have to pack the Thunderbolt display that i got off rbay with the stand locked in position, it is going to be a job getting it back in the box that is to small for it :( I will have to some decent tape not the sellotape he sent it with.At least no trouble from the seller. for sending it back.:) Hoping that this arrives safely without any damage should do with the original box put in another box. Rgat looks amazing stuff Sugru:)

Attachments

• DSC00128.jpg
    DSC00128.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC00132.jpg
    DSC00132.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 134

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Sugru will work, but the price works out more than the tape.

The real limitation is once the packet of Sugru is opened you have something like 20 minutes to stick it to something before it is useless, so you should have 2-3 items you want to use Sugru on before starting. It is a really good product and I like it, but with the tape you can spend as much time as you need before you put it on.

Some people use silicone tub sealant and cornstarch mixed together instead of Sugru, which is cheaper but the cornstarch acts as an accelerant so you have less time. But on the plus side you can get clear sealant and tint the cornstarch to your favourite colour with ink to get the colour you want.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I got this it was 3.75 3 three . LOCTITE KINTSUGLUE FLEXIBLE GLUE PUTTY

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I love my 27" TB display and yes, the cable is prone to easy fraying due to the thick cabling and poor outer insulation.

As long as the connection is good to your Mini - you are good to go - looks cosmetic.

For $270, that's steal considering I paid $1000 when it first came out...
Here's mine connected to a 2012 MBP showing wear of the outer insulation:
IMG_4804.jpg

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I know the display is from 2011 but people still think it is good in 2019.It wasn,t £270 he had it done for £300 he would only let it go for 290 after the first offer for 280 i thohght he was going to be one of thouse people who put make a offer and only accept the price they had it on there for.I have seen some of thouse.Still i think it is a good prive if it is how he said it was and coming with the original Apple box and putting it in another box for extra protection.Plus the fact the postage is in the price.I evan got a tracking number with this one,unlike the one i have to send back plus the postage was 20 pound?:(i do hate paying a lot for postage that one was express delivery it took 4 days to get here.:(Yes it is ,very true.:)I don,t like the look of the LG one that replaces the Apple display it looks cheap,a lot of plastic on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.