Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Does this work on Mojave ?
It might work on Mojave—I think I ultimately decided against specifying a maximum OS, although I might be remembering wrong—but it is completely untested on anything newer than Mavericks.

May I ask why you'd want this on Mojave? 10.14 is still officially supported by Apple, and should be many years away from having https problems.

Reactions: Strategia

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
It might work on Mojave—I think I ultimately decided against specifying a maximum OS, although I might be remembering wrong—but it is completely untested on anything newer than Mavericks.

May I ask why you'd want this on Mojave? 10.14 is still officially supported by Apple, and should be many years away from having https problems.
@Macbookprodude Perhaps a valid reason for using Squid is that proxying the traffic might improve it in some places and make connections faster. I experienced that myself: prior to using Squid even when there weren't any SSL issues iTunes and 3rd party apps (e.g. Cyberduck) had unexplainable problems every time they needed Internet access. iTunes (I talked about v. 10) was particularly slow to connect to iTunes Store as if someone would bottleneck the traffic: with that in mind, consider that where I live the Internet connection is one of the fastest in the world. Since the beginning of using Squid, many of these problems disappeared. If my understanding is correct using a proxy is built into any OS and is part of daily networking, so setting it up may be desired in the event such a necessity arises.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Well that was a giant waste of time. Although I was eventually able to build and even use Squid on Tiger, it crashes every few times I try to load a web page. Not stable at all. You'd be much better off running Squid on a different computer, and having Tiger connect to that.

Might still try Leopard at some point.

Last edited:

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018

Because as of now I am using the mac pro to try and set it up as proxy server, so i can use os 9.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Because as of now I am using the mac pro to try and set it up as proxy server, so i can use os 9.
Ah, that makes much more sense! And I'd like to support that use case too.

Can you try it and let me know what happens? If it's outright blocked in the installer, I'll make sure to remove it next time I update it, possibly tomorrow. But I'll need testing help either way, because I can't virtualize an OS that recent from back here on 10.9. :3

Last edited:

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Ah, that makes much more sense! And I'd like to support that use case too.

Can you try it and let me know what happens? If it's outright blocked in the installer, I'll make sure to remove it next time I update it, possibly tomorrow. But I'll need testing help either way, because I can't visualize an OS that recent from 10.9. :3
Well, I need to know what proxy server app to use ?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@Wowfunhappy : Well... progress with Leopard. It doesn't crash, and it does work, but i'm running in to a high cpu use issue. It's fine until i load a page or 2, then it spikes to 100% and stays there. Maybe you'll have better luck. Maybe my config is wrong. I did try on tiger as well, but as you mentioned it crashes almost instantly. So if we can get it stable on Leopard it does make leopard-webkit almost 100% usable again.

EDIT: Sweet. It was my config. I copied yours and edited it to point to /opt/local instead and it works great. Now we just need you to build it and package it with a nice installer like you did for early Intels. :)

squid-leopard-ppc.png

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Well... progress with Leopard. It doesn't crash, and it does work.
Great, glad to know it works!

Yes I will package, I got as far as getting a Leopard VM set up, but work has been busy and I spent last weekend on something else. But I want to make a universal binary!

I'm also really glad you were able to copy the config. You should be able to use that on all sorts of devices, with minor tweaks. When I initially suggested @Macbookprodude could use Squid for Mac OS 9 in the other thread, I didn't necessarily mean this package specifically—you could stick Squid on a Raspberry Pi and proxy through that!

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Just tested on my mbp 2006 with 10.9, and it works. Thank you! View attachment 1739408

Wonderful, glad to hear!

Just as a general note, outside of limited testing pretty please don't use this proxy to browse the web in Safari, at least not with Javascript turned on. Using a vulnerable web browser on a vulnerable OS is a bad idea, you need to have security somewhere in the chain. ? Use a browser like Chromium Legacy instead!

Where this proxy is super useful is for other internet-enabled apps—Dictionary, NetNewsWire, QuickTime Player, etc!

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Anyone have a clever name for this package? Trying to improve the overall presentation as I finish up this big update, and the name is vexing me!

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Nobody actually cares but I need to vent somewhere, that I've officially decided I do not like compiling things on Leopard Intel. :mad:

So much stuff is subtly broken. Hopefully the MacPorts developers haven't gotten tired of my tickets yet...

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Okay, I'm giving up on Intel Leopard support.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
An updated download is (finally) in the first post. Changes include:
  • The underlying version of Squid has been updated to 4.14.
  • Add support for 32-bit versions of Snow Leopard.
  • You can now uncomment a single line in squid.conf to allow other computers on your network to use the proxy. Potentially useful for e.g. Mac OS 9.
  • The package can be installed on macOS 10.14 and above (untested).
  • The Dictionary patch works with Lion and Mountain Lion.
  • Build instructions are included.
Technically, this release also includes PowerPC support, but I've been told it does not actually work on real PPC hardware. I don't know why, and I'm more than a little annoyed about it!

If you install this over a previous version, remember to delete the old Squid certificate from keychain access first, and to reboot after installing.

Last edited:
Reactions: otetzone

otetzone

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2019
Everything works fine except some weird bug in the Dictionary.app. It shows a restriction sign on its icon and when being opened it returns "You can't open the application Dictionary.app because it may be damaged or incomplete."
MBP 2012 OS X 10.9.5
Here's the log from Console, ~/Library/Logs - DiagnosticReports:

0x7fff85aa4000 - 0x7fff85acdfff com.apple.DictionaryServices (1.2 - 208) <A539A058-BA57-35EE-AA08-D0B0E835127D> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/DictionaryServices.framework/Versions/A/DictionaryServices

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Everything works fine except some weird bug in the Dictionary.app. It shows a restriction sign on its icon and when being opened it returns "You can't open the application Dictionary.app because it may be damaged or incomplete."
MBP 2012 OS X 10.9.5
Here's the log from Console, ~/Library/Logs - DiagnosticReports:

0x7fff85aa4000 - 0x7fff85acdfff com.apple.DictionaryServices (1.2 - 208) <A539A058-BA57-35EE-AA08-D0B0E835127D> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/DictionaryServices.framework/Versions/A/DictionaryServices
Thanks, can you tell me what is in Dictionary.app/Contents/MacOS/ ?

Then, restore the app from a backup. I think I know what I did wrong.

otetzone

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2019
Thanks, can you tell me what is in Dictionary.app/Contents/MacOS/ ?

Then, restore the app from a backup. I think I know what I did wrong.
Sure. There's an Unix Executable File called Dictionary_backup. And that's it.
You mean a Time Machine backup I figure.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Sure. There's an Unix Executable File called Dictionary_backup. And that's it.
You mean a Time Machine backup I figure.
Yep, just restore the original Dictionary app from Time Machine. And I'll fix the package so it won't try to patch a copy of the dictionary app that has already been patched previously (the source of the problem).

Edit: Bug fixed. (But otetzone, you'll still need to restore from Time Machine.)

Last edited:
Reactions: otetzone
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.