Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
One thing I just noticed now is that I think I need to (somehow) hook up power to the card myself. Are you aware of anything like this and/or what else I might need to buy to pull that off?

To expand on the answer @MacCubed gave you, there is a socket on the PCIe G5 LoBos where this cable plugs in. It's just ahead of the card cage, and can be accessed more easily by pulling the speaker out(it just slides out).

If you want to run more than one card that needs external power, you will need to run a splitter off the optical drive Molex cable-that's also what you have to do for externally powered cards in AGP G5s.

Apple was nice enough to give us two PCIe power plugs on the Mac Pro LoBo, but the G5s only got one. They were also considerate enough to make the bottom PCIe slot double height so you don't lose a slot when you install a double height GPU.

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
You need to buy a PCI-e power cable from ebay if you dont already have one.

Something like this will work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-6-pin-...627478?hash=item20eee04096:g:8pMAAOSw4DJYf-Z-

18 usd for shipping. Yikes! Unfortunately unless I order from China though it looks like I might be stuck.

To expand on the answer @MacCubed gave you, there is a socket on the PCIe G5 LoBos where this cable plugs in. It's just ahead of the card cage, and can be accessed more easily by pulling the speaker out(it just slides out).

If you want to run more than one card that needs external power, you will need to run a splitter off the optical drive Molex cable-that's also what you have to do for externally powered cards in AGP G5s.

Apple was nice enough to give us two PCIe power plugs on the Mac Pro LoBo, but the G5s only got one. They were also considerate enough to make the bottom PCIe slot double height so you don't lose a slot when you install a double height GPU.

I wonder if the splitter route would be cheaper here!

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I wonder if the splitter route would be cheaper here!

If you go with a splitter, you'll also need an additional adapter to go from Molex to the card. This isn't a huge deal, but will be another couple of bucks. By the time you factor in shipping, you might come out ahead buying the correct cord.

I'll also mention that with some patience, a real Mac edition FX4500 can be had for $50-60, and MOST sellers will include the cable with it. With what it's going to cost to get power to your card, it might be worth holding out for that option.

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
If you go with a splitter, you'll also need an additional adapter to go from Molex to the card. This isn't a huge deal, but will be another couple of bucks. By the time you factor in shipping, you might come out ahead buying the correct cord.

I'll also mention that with some patience, a real Mac edition FX4500 can be had for $50-60, and MOST sellers will include the cable with it. With what it's going to cost to get power to your card, it might be worth holding out for that option.

Sadly I already bought the flashable card this morning, so it looks like I'm stuck!

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
One thing I just noticed now is that I think I need to (somehow) hook up power to the card myself. Are you aware of anything like this and/or what else I might need to buy to pull that off?
As was mentioned, I believe you'll need a 6-pin (8-pin?) mini PCIe to 6-pin regular PCIe. Make sure to check Ebay and Amazon thoroughly, since it should be pretty cheap.

Last edited:

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
I'm just going to put this out there: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221641076855?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

(Not my auction, mods).

I am told I paid too much and that it's a flashed card.

Oh well. It works. And it came with the power cable.

I really wish I didn't buy another card before realizing I need this cable!

As was mentioned, I believe you'll need a 6-pin (8-pin?) mini PCIe to 6-pin regular PCIe. Make sure to check Ebay and Amazon thoroughly, since it should be pretty cheap.

Hmm, the only one I can find on Amazon.ca is

https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SWFA1TA4GTGQJDNE0BXN

(it doesnt say mini 6 pin though so I'm not entirely sure it's the same 6 pin interface), but anyway I would be right in assuming this is far too short right?

edit: ok so it looks like it is a different interface.
You need to buy a PCI-e power cable from ebay if you dont already have one.

Something like this will work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-6-pin-...627478?hash=item20eee04096:g:8pMAAOSw4DJYf-Z-
These guys claim their mini 6 to regular 6 will work with a "Nvidia Fx 4500":

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-PCIe-6Pin-Mac-Pro-G5-to-PCI-Express-6-Pin-Video-Card-Power-Cable/282202927065?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=40832&meid=fbd69d1741614070af688e75ec441cd3&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=141446627478

but it's only mini6 to 6, not mini6 to 8..

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
So despite the graphics card in the ebay listing having the 'L' on the back, the card that arrived today does NOT have that 'L'.......

great. I am assuming this is not compatible.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
sadly you are a bit out of luck here as theres no public PPC ROM for that card. you can however flash it into a Mac Pro FX4500 if you want to or just complain to the ebay seller, you have good ebay buyer protection on your side.

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
sadly you are a bit out of luck here as theres no public PPC ROM for that card. you can however flash it into a Mac Pro FX4500 if you want to or just complain to the ebay seller, you have good ebay buyer protection on your side.

Unfortunately I don't own a Mac Pro so I'll have to contact the seller and get that returned :( Shame!

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada

burrrda

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2017
Prerequisites:
- Nvidia Quadro FX 4500
- PC or Mac Pro with a PCI Express slot
- USB flash drive
Windows is required to create the bootable USB.

Download: https://goo.gl/Ow66FG
Before we begin, please note that only the FX 4500 revision with a metal L-shaped piece on the back of the card can be flashed for compatibility with Late 2005 G5s. This revision is known as having 'double-sided RAM'. The newer revision contains RAM on only the top side of the card and is incompatible.

1. Install and launch the 'HP USB Storage Format Tool' executable
- Specify your USB drive and select 'FAT32'
- Select 'Create a DOS startup disk'
- Select 'USB DOS Image' folder
- Click 'Start'
- DOS is now bootable on your USB drive.

* Your USB drive may appear to be empty. This is because Windows Explorer is set to hide system files by default.

2. Copy 'quadro.rom', 'nvflash.exe' and 'cwsdpmi.exe' (in 'nvFlash 5.67' folder) to the root directory of the USB drive.

* Your USB drive is now ready to use.

3. Connect a display to the FX 4500. It must be the only PCIe card in your PC or Mac Pro.
- Restart your computer and boot to the USB drive (enter boot manager on startup)
- DOS should load with the prompt 'a:\>' or 'c:\>'
- To initiate the reprogramming of your FX 4500 for use in a Late 2005 G5, carefully type:

- Press the enter key, accept the onscreen confirmation prompts, and nvFlash will commence. Do not interrupt.

4. Turn off your PC or Mac Pro and replace the FX 4500 into your G5.

If this worked for you, feel free to reply to this thread. ;)

Hi there,
Question, I have the fx 4500 card on the PCI-e port 1, but I'm not even able to see the DOS screen, of course the card doesn't work because isn't flashed yet i assune.... Or even a pc fx 4500 should be able to display DOS on a mac?

Thanks in advance!

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
Hi there,
Question, I have the fx 4500 card on the PCI-e port 1, but I'm not even able to see the DOS screen, of course the card doesn't work because isn't flashed yet i assune.... Or even a pc fx 4500 should be able to display DOS on a mac?

Thanks in advance!
Let me get this straight, are you trying to boot DOS on a PowerMac G5? Because as far as I know, there aren't any bootable versions of FreeDOS/MS-DOS for PowerPC Macs, if for PowerPC machines at all. You'll need a PC motherboard to do the flashing with, any cheap board with PCIe graphics capability should do.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Hi there,

Thanks in advance!

Yes, as @Daniël Oosterhuis pointed out, there's no booting DOS on a G5. The graphics card doesn't bring this capability and the unflashed card will not show any display on a PowerPC Mac.

The instructional post indicates you would need to use either an Intel based PC or Mac Pro with PCIe ports.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

burrrda

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2017
Let me get this straight, are you trying to boot DOS on a PowerMac G5? Because as far as I know, there aren't any bootable versions of FreeDOS/MS-DOS for PowerPC Macs, if for PowerPC machines at all. You'll need a PC motherboard to do the flashing with, any cheap board with PCIe graphics capability should do.

Thank you AphoticD and Daniel O for your comments. I'm trying to resurrect a Mac Pro 1.1. I just got it with no video card on it (from an old lady on the neighborhood with a garage sale). The computer works, because even when i can see nothing, the computer starts and "sleeps", when i move the mouse it "wakes up".

So , I got this fx4500 graphic card (local supplier with 30 days warranty) just to realize it is not mac compatible (yet).
Should I be able to see anything just plugin the card on the PCI slot (power cord to mother board connected already)?
Or as you mentioned, I should do the flash on a PC and then use it on the mac?

Thanks again for your time.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Thank you AphoticD and Daniel O for your comments. I'm trying to resurrect a Mac Pro 1.1. I just got it with no video card on it (from an old lady on the neighborhood with a garage sale). The computer works, because even when i can see nothing, the computer starts and "sleeps", when i move the mouse it "wakes up".

So , I got this fx4500 graphic card (local supplier with 30 days warranty) just to realize it is not mac compatible (yet).
Should I be able to see anything just plugin the card on the PCI slot (power cord to mother board connected already)?
Or as you mentioned, I should do the flash on a PC and then use it on the mac?

Thanks again for your time.

If the Mac Pro has a valid Mac OS X system installed, then the PC graphics card should "activate" after the initial stages of boot. I would try starting up from a Mac OS X install DVD (Ideally Leopard or Snow Leopard retail discs), hold down the C key and see if it boots to the installer screen.

Otherwise, pop a windows XP SP2 or Win 7 installer disc in the drive and hold down the C key. (does this work on the MP1,1?) Once you install Windows and get to the desktop, you should be able to follow the USB flasher based technique or even nvflash to attempt to flash the card with a Mac ROM.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Just going to mention that if your flashing the FX 4500 for use in a Mac Pro

do not use the ROM on this page its a PPC ROM, not an intel EFI one

secondly if you pop in a Windows DVD or drive you should get a boot screen on the FX 4500 even if its not flashed the moment the Mac Pro goes to boot windows as the EFI hands off to the CSM (BIOS) module,which will load the FX4500s PC ROM, but you need to flash the card if your using it in OS X (the FX 4500 is too old to Auto int in any OS)

if your not even getting an image trying to boot windows then something is up

Reactions: AphoticD

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
@burrrda

You start off by asking about DOS and PowerPC Macs, a system never supported on PowerPC Macs and one that Microsoft quietly started pushing to the background in 1995.

The thread you post in is about flashing for PowerPC Macs in a PowerPC Mac forum and your next post starts talking about an Intel Mac.

I just want to point out the confusion you are causing which makes those trying to help a little off balance.

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
@eyoungren That's MS-DOS, DOS is a very generic term :p
But it does make sense he mentions it, given the flashing is often done on a PC booted from a DOS floppy. Be it MS-DOS, or FreeDOS, or WhateverYouCouldFindThatIsAlsoDOS.

Reactions: eyoungren

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Yes, as @Daniël Oosterhuis pointed out, there's no booting DOS on a G5. The graphics card doesn't bring this capability and the unflashed card will not show any display on a PowerPC Mac.

The instructional post indicates you would need to use either an Intel based PC or Mac Pro with PCIe ports.

Tweaked the instructions for further clarification.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.