Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
Am I the only one that booting from the usb get a black screen with just a J?

That is on a pentium 4 currently running an ATI card... that might be the issue... I still haven’t received the quadro, I was rehearsing what I needed to do...

So is the J. There because it is not the card the dos is looking for or something else is at fault?

Last edited:

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
Added the card, tried 2 different USB card....but cannot get past this....only a j on screen...
Edit:
Changed pc and a more modern one made it work!

Happy owner of a quadro! Thanks1

Last edited:

Crow47

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
I've been trying to find a Quadro for my dual-core G5, and I made a hasty purchase on eBay buy purchasing a non-G5 compatible, yet Mac, Quadro card. I've been able to find the ROM for the G5 version of it, and I'm thinking about trying to flash it over. I now understand it's not compatible out of the box (doesn't have the L-bracket), but everyone in the thread has been talking about flashing the PC card to the G5 version. I'm not sure I've seen someone try a flash between versions of the Mac cards. Does anyone know if it will work? Kinda thinking of trying it anyways and eating the money if I brick it.

LarsG5

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2016
No no, you got everything wrong. NONE of the PC FX4500 will work out of the box in Power Mac G5, BUT the The L-bracketed one can be flashed with a mac rom to make it work with a G5. The non L-bracketed version WILL NOT work in G5 no matter what BUT this revision card can be flashed to make it work with 1.1 Mac Pro, so basically, if you flash YOUR card with ppc rom you're gonna end up with a nice paperweight.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Lol I still have a fx4500 that I needed to flash about 13 years ago that I just came across in my PC bits rubbish pile. Lol.
Sadly I don't have a quad anymore, nor a DC. Only have a dual 2.7 wind cooled, in storage at my mum's place.

This thread makes me want to buy another quad.. ;) or at least a DC.. :D

Khaled Hassan

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2018
Very interesting stuff. I have a couple of questions if you can help me out:
Will this work on Quadro FX 1700 ? (installed in Precision 690, to be moved to late 2004 G5)
After flashing it, will it still work fine on PC?
Thanks!

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
Very interesting stuff. I have a couple of questions if you can help me out:
Will this work on Quadro FX 1700 ? (installed in Precision 690, to be moved to late 2004 G5)
After flashing it, will it still work fine on PC?
Thanks!
No. The card was made after the discontinuation of PowerPC Macs. Though there might be a Mac version of that card out there, and maybe the PC version could be flashed to it, it would only work with Intel Macs and not PowerPC Macs.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

Khaled Hassan

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2018
No. The card was made after the discontinuation of PowerPC Macs. Even though there might be a Mac version of that card out there, and maybe the PC version could be flashed to it, it would only work with Intel Macs and not PowerPC Macs.
Thanks man, I was under the impression that fx1700 is older than fx4500. I'm so confused...o_O

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
Thanks man, I was under the impression that fx1700 is older than fx4500. I'm so confused...o_O
NVIDIA's numbering scheme isn't the most logical one. The FX4500 is indeed older, it was released in July of 2005, right at the end of the PowerPC Mac era, whereas the FX1700 came out in 2007, despite its lower model number.

Reactions: SuperKerem

Khaled Hassan

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2018
NVIDIA's numbering scheme isn't the most logical one. The FX4500 is indeed older, it was released in July of 2005, right at the end of the PowerPC Mac era, whereas the FX1700 came out in 2007, despite its lower model number.
So I can't use it in my G5 but might work on an Intel Mac.. Do I still use these set of instructions and files for flashing it?

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
Are the Quadros that require flashing for a G5 physically different anywhere (like some cosmetic detail, some sticker or some different component) compared to the Quadros Apple sold themselves for G5s?

Asking simply because I got one for my G5 today, and I was just simply curious. I know they theoretically should perform exactly the same, as every bit of the hardware is theoretically the exact same, with only the BIOS / ROM being different. Still would be fun if I happened to score some extra "purism points", though. :)

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
W
Are the Quadros that require flashing for a G5 physically different anywhere (like some cosmetic detail, some sticker or some different component) compared to the Quadros Apple sold themselves for G5s?

Asking simply because I got one for my G5 today, and I was just simply curious. I know they theoretically should perform exactly the same, as every bit of the hardware is theoretically the exact same, with only the BIOS / ROM being different. Still would be fun if I happened to score some extra "purism points", though. :)
Watcha reply number 8 in 1st page :)

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
W

Watcha reply number 8 in 1st page :)
Oh, wasn't that a picture of a non-Apple Quadro? From what I understood, some non-Apple Quadros are not G5-compatible at all, even when flashed, and the picture shows the ones we can flash, but not what the original Apple-sold ones look like.
Am I interpreting something incorrectly? Or are you saying the flashable ones and the Apple ones look identical?

In any case, thanks for the reply! So quick, too!

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Translation : Not the right card for the firmware you are trying to flash.

You've likely downloaded the firmware for something that's not an FX 4500. Google the device IDs on the screenshot...

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Translation : Not the right card for the firmware you are trying to flash.

You've likely downloaded the firmware for something that's not an FX 4500. Google the device IDs on the screenshot...

looking at the screen Shot NVFlash is just complaining about the miss matched SubSystem IDs, not the main PCI DeviceIDs :) (main DeviceID is what you want to pay attention too, the SubSystem IDs just handle like who was the AIB partner etc)

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Guess there's a switch to override it? Edit on the post says problem solved...

indeed :)

for future reference when flashing PowerPC NVIDIA ROMs with NVFlash I go with "nvflash.exe -j -4 -5 -6"

tho keep in mind this overrides pretty much every fail safe there is so if you have a bad/wrong ROM for your card you may well "brick" it

Riff_Al

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2017
Hello All!
I need help.
Got FX4500 with L-shape metal heatsink on the back.
Tried to flash and met several troubles.
First i could not create bootable USB under Windows 10.
HP tool tolds me the media (usb stick) is protected, but it doesn't.
Then i tried to create bootable USB under Windows 7 and everything is OK.
But when i boot in DOS and try any command i got an error (see the picture).
I do not understand what it mean, and what is not right.
I do not try flashing command yet, because i want to save original rom first, but i'm sure, if i try to flash i will get the same error. It seems there no access to nvflash at all.
It is strange, because 2 years ago i was able to flash FX4500 for MacPro 1.1 (another version of the card without heatsink on the back) at the same PC and did it very easy.
Also i want to note - i try different USB sticks and even another nvflash for dos versions, but got the same error.
Who knows what is wrong?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 393
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 367
Last edited:

Riff_Al

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2017
UPDATE!
Problem solved and now i'm in FX4500 club too ;)
(PPC Dual Core 2.0 Late 2005 - just a hobby, also i have MacPro 4.1->5.1 and Hackintosh based on Corei7 4790K and ASUS Z97 pro wifi ac motherboard).
I just flash the card in another PC, whithout problems and errors.
As i can discovered over the internet, error caused by some security politics in CPU (4790K), i flashed the card in another PC with Gigabyte motherboard and Pentium G630 2.7 CPU.
But very very strange, 2 years ago i flashed FX4500 for cMP 2.1 and nVidia 8800 too, without any errors and troubles with nvflash in DOS.
Anyway, problem already solved.

Last edited:
Reactions: LightBulbFun

LarsG5

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2016
Anyone who has flashed these cards, I'm looking for more info on them.
Do both the DVI ports work on a flashed card?

@LarsG5 Has reported only 1 of their 2 DVI ports appear to be working, has anyone else had this problem with flashed cards?
Hey, I can finally confirm that BOTH of the DVI ports work flawlessly! :)

Reactions: swamprock

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I can't get my Mac Pro 2,1 to boot from a USB DOS drive no matter what I do. It also seems that the HP utility doesn't even write anything to the drive when I follow the instructions. I tried this using Parallels under XP and Windows 7, and booted into my Windows 10 install on my MP and tried it, all with the same result.

Guess I should just go buy a cheap PC, eh?

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
I can't get my Mac Pro 2,1 to boot from a USB DOS drive no matter what I do. It also seems that the HP utility doesn't even write anything to the drive when I follow the instructions. I tried this using Parallels under XP and Windows 7, and booted into my Windows 10 install on my MP and tried it, all with the same result.

Guess I should just go buy a cheap PC, eh?

sadly you cant boot anything legacy PC from the USB ports on a MacPro2,1 which is why you cant boot from the DOS USB stick

you MIGHT be able to do something with plop burnt to a CD and then chain load the USB stick, but its very hit and miss

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.