Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
The moral of this story: Always get AppleCare+ when buying a MacBook Pro.

A few years ago I’d disagree. Skipping AppleCare for my first few machines pretty much paid for one.

However, with the cost of battery replacements and that fact that pretty much every major hardware problem is now “replace the logic board” I get it. It’s annoying but this is my work machine. Also, self repair no longer makes sense both in terms of the machines themselves and what my own time is worth versus a decade ago.

As a bonus, if you replace your machine regularly AppleCare does increase resale.

StarryNights

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2017
NY
I hope Apples EFFA office is looking into this and ordering subtle design changes to that flex cable part.

Adriantom

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2019
Toronto
Hey guys, if you really dont want to spend $600 for a new display assembly, you can have it fixed for around $250. It sucks but still lot cheaper. The fix involves extending the backlight flex. Difficult job but doable.

MusikkNils

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2019
Opening and closing it many times a day, no issue. My friends are still on 2016 model bought in novembre 2016 so far so good. I’m working as an it tech support and still haven’t seen this issue. Not saying it could not happen but posting it as news became a much bigger issue for users, they now all fear every MacBook Pro do that in few months

No Issues for me. MacBook Pro 13" 2016, MacBookPro 13" 2017 and MacBookPro 15" 2018. All with touch bar. As an engineer it is always of great importance to analyze the user picture, or how the mac is handled, to pick up any similarities among people getting troubles. If the user handling may influence the issue. Those having problems should explain their user picture, in order to help us without problems and to prevent us getting troubles: My answers are in red.
  1. Open and close the display lid a lot of times daily? 10 times each Day
  2. Open and close a few times daily? No
  3. Open and close a few times a week? No
  4. Open and close very fast, medium or slow? Medium to slow, not very fast
  5. Are you closing and opening the display lid really hard and fast resulting in a clap and hard end stop? No, are you crazy. I do it soft and gentle, and slow down the last millimeters.
  6. Always closed display lid due to connected to docking station and external display? No
  7. Open and Close by holding in 1 point, top/middle screen? Yes
  8. Open and Close by holding in 1 point, top/right or top/left screen? No
  9. Open and Close by holding in 2 points, top/right and top/left screen? No
  10. The display is always in open position? No, but have consider changing to this situation
  11. Open to maximum, medium or minimum angle most of the time? Medium
  12. Using the Mac in very hot surroundings or hard use causing overheating? No
  13. Using the Mac in cold surroundings? No
  14. Using the Mac in normal, wet or dry moisture conditions? Normal Nordic Interior climate
  15. No damages due to falling down or hitting hard surfaces? Not at all
  16. Use the Mac mainly at home or at office, no moving around that much? Yes

Last edited:

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
No. I’m sorry but what I said is true. Every time someone posted a video or picture of their messed up keyboard it was covered in grime. Try again.

Yet the previous generation MacBook series are NOT having this problem - however dirty or dusty the workspace happens to be.

Let me bring an outlier to this Apple equation.

Have you heard of Panasonic Toughbooks?

I don't expect that level of ruggedness from MacBooks anything. At least roll back to the level of solid construction of Apple computers of 2012-2014.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
No Issues for me. MacBook Pro 13" 2016, MacBookPro 13" 2017 and MacBookPro 15" 2018. All with touch bar. Those having problems should explain their user picture, in order to help us without problems and to prevent getting troubles: My answers in red.
  1. Open and close the screen a lot of times daily? 10 times each Day
  2. Open and close a few times daily? No
  3. Open and close a few times a week? No
  4. Open and close very fast, medium or slow? Medium to slow, not very fast
  5. Open and Close by holding in 1 point, top/middle screen? Yes
  6. Open and Close by holding in 1 point, top/right or top/left screen? No
  7. Open and Close by holding in 2 points, top/right and top/left screen? No
  8. The screen is always in open position? No, but have consider to change to this situation
  9. Open to maximum, medium or minimum angle most of the time? Medium
  10. Using the Mac in very hot surroundings or hard use causing overheating? No
  11. Using the Mac in cold surroundings? No
  12. Using the Mac in normal, wet or dry moisture conditions? Normal Nordic Interior climate
  13. No damages due to falling down or hitting hard surfaces? Not at all
  14. Use the Mac mainly at home or at office, no moving around that much? Yes

that really doesnt matter whether you are standing on your head or using left or right arm or legs to open the lid, when the problem is too tight and fragile cables which suffer from tearing everytime you open the lid.

my mbp is late 2016, no issues with the display.. but the keyboard needs to be replaced within the repair program. i do that before the program ends (in 4 years).

[
What's the cause?

According to repair site iFixit, which first highlighted the problem, 2016 and later MacBook Pro machines are using thin, fragile display flex cables that are prone to malfunctioning with repeated closing and opening of the MacBook Pro's display.

The flex cables are loosely wrapped around the display controller board and when the MacBook's display is opened, the cables are pulled tighter, leading to tears and problems over time.

that is a design error and the repair should be covered for no cost... waiting a classaction lawsuit and a repair program announcing, maybe later on this year...

Last edited:

MusikkNils

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2019
that really doesnt matter whether you are standing on your head or using left or right arm or legs to open the lid, when the problem is too tight and fragile cables which suffer from tearing everytime you open the lid.

that is a design error and the repair should be covered for no cost... waiting a classaction lawsuit and a repair program announcing, maybe later on this year...
Nothing is 100% sure and easy in this world. As an engineer it is always of great importance to analyze the user picture to pick up any similarities among people getting troubles. If this may influence the issue.

Onexy

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Can’t wait for this feature to activate in my MacBook Pro.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Don't forget the 2007 models as well. Mine failed while Apple lied about being effected like every single one other company was.

They extended the warranty and they fixed it but broke the optical out and it wouldn't burn a disk anymore. Didn't notice that in 30 days and they wouldn't fix it I gave it away after that. Don't have time for that crap and I wasn't going to sell it for someone else to have issues

Oh yeah, had to replace the logic board twice on my early 2008. First time was due to the graphics card, and the second time was because the “new” logic board had a faulty motion sensor (and for some reason lots of hair inside the ports and in the openings between the ports and the case).

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
So far I haven't had any issues with my 2017 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. I've been using it heavily for 1,5 years now. *knocks on wood* That said I do find all these reports worrying.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
unlike complaints about the keyboard which were really more about hygiene and personal habits (eating while using it) than anything else.

I'm sure there are some cases of people not taking care of their keyboard but read through the MacBook Pro forums. Most people there who have experienced keyboard issues in their 2016 or later MacBook Pros have been very careful while using their MacBook Pro keyboard (i.e. it's not a hygiene or personal habit issue). The courts ruled that there are problems with the keyboard.
[doublepost=1549202403][/doublepost]
What a pitiful state we are in. Everyone is thinking of getting Apple care along with brand new expensive rig. It was not the case before and need of Apple care is the last thing in purchase decision.

AppleCare is pretty useless if you plan on owning the computer for more then three years.

Any repair now (keyboard, display cable, etc.) requires an expensive replacement of a large portion of the computer. After the warranty ends, it's cost prohibitive to repair.
[doublepost=1549202591][/doublepost]
Opening and closing it many times a day, no issue. My friends are still on 2016 model bought in novembre 2016 so far so good. I’m working as an it tech support and still haven’t seen this issue. Not saying it could not happen but posting it as news became a much bigger issue for users, they now all fear every MacBook Pro do that in few months

Do you open it more than 90 degrees ?

Last edited:

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Oh really? They aren't the same company?

In this case I do think they owe something to the customers with issues. In the case of my Surface Pro 4, the business transaction consisted of me handing them money in exchange of a device which should function properly for more than a couple of years. The device failed to do so because of a design flaw that they actually acknowledged, therefore they failed to fulfill their end of the transaction with the original device provided, therefore got an exchange way beyond the warranty period.

If this Mac Book issue is indeed because of a design flaw, then Apple owes their customers that paid money for the device a fully functional device]

Last edited:

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Do you open it more than 90 degrees?

Doesn't everyone? How does one work with a laptop opened at an acute angle?
[doublepost=1549211365][/doublepost]
AppleCare is pretty useless if you plan on owning the computer for more than three years.

This very true - can't think of ownership beyond three years with these new laptops because they are made to be unrepairable even by Apple.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
OK now this is a serious problem unlike complaints about the keyboard which were really more about hygiene and personal habits (eating while using it) than anything else.

My 2016 15” has held up really well. Hell it’s still in mint condition but that’s because I regularly clean it (wiping down the keyboard, display and case) after prolonged use. I also never slam the display shut.

I will actually take it in before the end of the year to complain about the keyboard having problems just to get a fresh battery before my AppleCare is up. Then I will either sell it or keep it for another year. It all depends on what they release this year.

"It's not a design issue, just stop touching the keyboard and it will be fine."

Macbook Pro pre-2016

maxresdefault.jpg

Macbook Pro 2016+:

920x920.jpg

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
The engineers have diabolically and maliciously removed the data recovery port on 2016+ models

No. My 2016 15” has the connector to nowhere which I assume is for data recovery. I think the 2017s also have it. I believe they did remove it from the 2018s but again I don’t remember.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
"It's not a design issue, just stop touching the keyboard and it will be fine."

Macbook Pro 2016+:

920x920.jpg

The 1980's super-sterile cooled (read freezing) rooms where computers were housed. Chilled to my bones just recalling those freezers.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
QC at apple seems to be on extended vacation lately
I put it, again, on Jonny Ive. I’m sure there are Apple engineers pointed out this potential issue beforehand (just like antennagate), but Jonny Ive is simply on a higher pedestal blessed by Steve Jobs.

The iPad Pro bending, iPhone 6 bendgate, etc etc. It’s not hard to see where Apple is “cutting corners” for the sake of design. Too much Ive.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
No. I’m sorry but what I said is true. Every time someone posted a video or picture of their messed up keyboard it was covered in grime. Try again.

Dust had been known to cause issues with the first gen butterfly keys. I don’t care if you believe it or not, your belief isn’t necessary.
[doublepost=1549246739][/doublepost]
Lets be realistic - there will be a recall. Apple won't have a choice. It's not the first time and wont be the last, and they are absolutely responsible, especially given how piss poor the construction of their newer macbooks has been.

Oh, also...

No. Just no. Nobody except you guys are calling this flexgate. Stop it.

A recall that will simply replace the part with another that will eventually suffer the same defect. Apple needs to acknowledge these issues and actually fix them rather than replace them with another faulty part.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Let's see:

A) Thinner chassis that breaks more: ✓
B) Loss of MagSafe: ✓
C) Addition of the emojibar, a feature that uses tons of resources and is utterly pointless: ✓
D) Worse and worse MacOS, including loss of core GUI features like CoverFlow: ✓
E) Releasing backend software like Metal 2 which isn't ready for primetime: ✓
F) Increasing prices of computers that can't be user upgraded in any way: ✓

Man, Apple just makes it easier to not want to buy a new MBP.
[doublepost=1549249219][/doublepost]
I put it, again, on Jonny Ive. I’m sure there are Apple engineers pointed out this potential issue beforehand (just like antennagate), but Jonny Ive is simply on a higher pedestal blessed by Steve Jobs.

The iPad Pro bending, iPhone 6 bendgate, etc etc. It’s not hard to see where Apple is “cutting corners” for the sake of design. Too much Ive.

Agreed, Ives without Jobs curating him is useless.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
OK now this is a serious problem unlike complaints about the keyboard which were really more about hygiene and personal habits (eating while using it) than anything else.

I will actually take it in before the end of the year to complain about the keyboard having problems just to get a fresh battery before my AppleCare is up.

Sure, blame the victim. They were asking for it.

"The customer is always wrong.

Buyer beware.

The manufacturer has put all their integrity into making the product - they are always looking out for the consumer, so they are always right."

Right!

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: HJM.NL

10.x

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2018
Austria
I have a 2016 MBP and it is absolute garbage quality. Had to repair it 3 times. (Fortunately I have Apple Care till 2020)

First - keyboard replacement due to double keystroke issues
Second - display replacement due to popping sound
Third time - again a keyboard replacement because of an unresponsive key

Had a Mac Mini 2010 and an Ipod 4 as well -> never experienced any issues.

So for nowadays it seems enthusiast are be better off with Hackintosh, even though when this means it will consume some time to get into it. My main iHac Pro had 0 problems after finishing the setup, is as fast as an iMac Pro, was half the price, is easily repairable and everyone can choose the hardware he/she wants to. The one and only negative aspect are those 2 weeks I needed to get it working properly.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.