Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkj1986

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2019
Is this due to flexgate ?

Attachments

• 15591822220705562842616651833605.jpg
    15591822220705562842616651833605.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 393

CraigB1960

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
Tucson, AZ
That's very interesting that you say this.
I am typing on a 2013 Apple Macbook Pro 15 Retina, that has never needed a repair, has only 4 battery discharge cycles, and has been the greatest laptop I've ever owned.
Mine is the mid-2012 MacBook Pro 15 Retina bought new in fall of 2012. No issues except for a memory bit went bad a couple months ago. Bought a 2013 logic board with double the RAM and the higher speed processor for $350, installed it myself. I have no doubts this computer will last another 5 years or so.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Mine is the mid-2012 MacBook Pro 15 Retina bought new in fall of 2012. No issues except for a memory bit went bad a couple months ago. Bought a 2013 logic board with double the RAM and the higher speed processor for $350, installed it myself. I have no doubts this computer will last another 5 years or so.

What about the serial number? Is it a new serial number?

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Feel bad for those who are affected by this. Sucks to have a laptop crap out on you after only a few years. Anything less than 5 years is just crap IMO. I recently sent my mid-2010 17" MacBook Pro to the graveyard after 9 long years. It lived a great life and never had to be sent in for any repairs. Still got my late-2012 27" iMac that I use on occasion but it also is starting to feel a bit dated.

Reactions: kenshiro

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
I am typing on a 2013 Apple Macbook Pro 15 Retina, that has never needed a repair, has only 4 battery discharge cycles, and has been the greatest laptop I've ever owned.

Tomorrow morning, I am purchasing a mint condition 2015 Macbook Pro 15 Retina, 2.8GHz with the 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM laptop which was kept in a case for its whole life. I really like that the 2012 - 2015 Macbook Pros are still serviceable by users, hard drives are removable and upgradeable, data recovery ports are in tack, and repairs are relatively easy.

The new 2016+ Macbook Pros are engineered to be non-repairable 100%, and they have factory defective designs (faulty display design issues, keyboard issues, no internal data recovery port, non removable storage, lack of legacy ports, garbage keyboard when it does happen to work, soldered in storage, no magsafe power plugs, no illuminated apple logo, no function keys, and the list goes on and on). I feel so terrible for folks that spent $3k - $6k+ for a notebook that has constant hardware defects.

I am thankful that I didn't follow everyone else and "upgrade" to the 2016 line the minute they were released. I'm seeing some on craigslist which were sold for $3k going for around $1,XXX range. Some people out there are starting to become smart. Their extended applecare + warranty on 2016 units will fail this year in 2019, and they will be stuck with massive repair bills, not IF but WHEN.

I will let go of my 2013, 2015 Macbook Pro Retina laptops, once I'm dead and/or killed.

As of now, I'm not sure I would even take a 2016+ Macbook Pro *for free,* due to the faulty and unreliable hardware which is guaranteed to fail someday depending upon usage. If given one for free, I would quickly sell it to some unsuspecting idiot.

2013 with only 4 battery cycles that cant be good staying charged all the time?

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
Based on my experience with 2011 MBP with failing GPU, there won’t be a recall and you end up most likely paying for the repairs yourself.

The gpu failed twice in my machine and even though there was a repair program I had to pay full price because their diagnostic software told them it was not covered by the program. I mean - wth - you are diagnosing a failed gpu which gives back completely random results... Maybe it did not fail entirely and something in it was still ticking and telling the diagnostics that everything is ok :) Man use your eyes...

Same with my 2011 MPB and its failing GPU/ flickering screen. It took hi speed video proof for apple in addition to 4 replacements of the logic board on top of other things. Every time the same issue finally my apple care ran out then again the screen flicker I demanded a replacement as apple had my laptop for almost half of the three years in repairs. I finally received a brand-new 2015 MBP from apple but I can tell you I would have received nothing with out putting up a huge stink. I was not impressed.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States

Tomorrow morning, I am purchasing a mint condition 2015 Macbook Pro 15 Retina, 2.8GHz with the 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM laptop which was kept in a case for its whole life. I really like that the 2012 - 2015 Macbook Pros are still serviceable by users, hard drives are removable and upgradeable, data recovery ports are in tack, and repairs are relatively easy.

The new 2016+ Macbook Pros are engineered to be non-repairable 100%, and they have factory defective designs (faulty display design issues, keyboard issues, no internal data recovery port, non removable storage, lack of legacy ports, garbage keyboard when it does happen to work, soldered in storage, no magsafe power plugs, no illuminated apple logo, no function keys, and the list goes on and on). I feel so terrible for folks that spent $3k - $6k+ for a notebook that has constant hardware defects.

I am thankful that I didn't follow everyone else and "upgrade" to the 2016 line the minute they were released. I'm seeing some on craigslist which were sold for $3k going for around $1,XXX range. Some people out there are starting to become smart. Their extended applecare + warranty on 2016 units will fail this year in 2019, and they will be stuck with massive repair bills, not IF but WHEN.

I will let go of my 2013, 2015 Macbook Pro Retina laptops, once I'm dead and/or killed.

As of now, I'm not sure I would even take a 2016+ Macbook Pro *for free,* due to the faulty and unreliable hardware which is guaranteed to fail someday depending upon usage. If given one for free, I would quickly sell it to some unsuspecting idiot.

LOL! That’s rich...I have a 2012, a 2015 and a 2016 15” MacBook Pro and all of them are excellent machines. I had issues with a crop of 2012 models from a previous lease that 4 of 6 needed repairs (logic board, video issues, screen delamination) and the two of the 2015 models needed repairs under AppleCare (dead logic board and bloated battery). They are all very good machines, but the 2012-2015 are not infallible or indestructible. Too many people have elevated them to mythical status and the fact is that sh*t breaks on them as well.

The reverence for these models on these forums is hilarious...or pathetic, dealer’s choice.

andrewj44

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017
LOL! That’s rich...I have a 2012, a 2015 and a 2016 15” MacBook Pro and all of them are excellent machines. I had issues with a crop of 2012 models from a previous lease that 4 of 6 needed repairs (logic board, video issues, screen delamination) and the two of the 2015 models needed repairs under AppleCare (dead logic board and bloated battery). They are all very good machines, but the 2012-2015 are not infallible or indestructible. Too many people have elevated them to mythical status and the fact is that sh*t breaks on them as well.

The reverence for these models on these forums is hilarious...or pathetic, dealer’s choice.
The reverance for those models is justified regardless of them not being infallible. When Apple go back to making a solid heavy duty professional laptop I might consider buying them again. What are they ultimately trying to achieve? Making them as thin as a piece of paper? They are rip off merchants. Anyone who argues otherwise is clearly blinded by love and devotion.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
The reverance for those models is justified regardless of them not being infallible. When Apple go back to making a solid heavy duty professional laptop I might consider buying them again. What are they ultimately trying to achieve? Making them as thin as a piece of paper? They are rip off merchants. Anyone who argues otherwise is clearly blinded by love and devotion.

No one with a workload that truly benefits from the extra speed and cores of the 2018 and 2019 MacBook Pros is spending any time revering the 2015 MacBook Pro. They’re getting work done faster, making more money and spending less time waiting which is what it’s all about.

Ripoff merchants?!? LOL! Whatever floats your outrage machine. The rest of us have moved on...you will or you won’t. Good luck!

andrewj44

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017
No one with a workload that truly benefits from the extra speed and cores of the 2018 and 2019 MacBook Pros is spending any time revering the 2015 MacBook Pro. They’re getting work done faster, making more money and spending less time waiting which is what it’s all about.

Ripoff merchants?!? LOL! Whatever floats your outrage machine. The rest of us have moved on...you will or you won’t. Good luck!
Who are "the rest of us"? I think you'll find that plenty have moved on but not in the sense you refer to. There's always one on these threads isn't there.
[doublepost=1567246942][/doublepost]
Who are "the rest of us"? I think you'll find that plenty have moved on but not in the sense you refer to. There's always one on these threads isn't there.
Spending less time waiting... what are the technicians doing house calls now?

Reactions: Mendota

Strich19

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2019
Singapore
I bought my MBP 15” in Dec 2016 and just this week the backlight display has developed the same problem as stated above, i.e. it turns black on opening the display to around 45 degrees! I had absolutely no problems prior to this.
Contacted Apple but they didn’t care because it’s out of warranty. The manager quoted about S$1000 to have it fixed. Obviously, i wasn’t happy so she advised me to contact support. When i called Apple support, i was passed to a senior member of staff, Matt, and he told me the store manager’s word is final! Come on, Apple! You can do better than this, right?!
Anyway, why is Apple giving free repairs to only 13” models and not 15” given that they have the exact same problem! I’m extremely disappointed!

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
I bought my MBP 15” in Dec 2016 and just this week the backlight display has developed the same problem as stated above, i.e. it turns black on opening the display to around 45 degrees! I had absolutely no problems prior to this.
Contacted Apple but they didn’t care because it’s out of warranty. The manager quoted about S$1000 to have it fixed. Obviously, i wasn’t happy so she advised me to contact support. When i called Apple support, i was passed to a senior member of staff, Matt, and he told me the store manager’s word is final! Come on, Apple! You can do better than this, right?!
Anyway, why is Apple giving free repairs to only 13” models and not 15” given that they have the exact same problem! I’m extremely disappointed!

Not sure how far you would get with it but maybe try calling Apple corporate and asking for customer relations. Explain the situation and ask if there is anything they can do. Worst that can is happen is they will tell you to go pound sand. Based on my previous experiences though, I think they may be able to help...

Haddaby

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2019
What do I do when apple is asking me to pay for replacement of the display? I thought people with 2016 MacBookPro’s are eligible for free repairs?

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
My 2016 MBP (15) has succumbed. Stage light effect, then no display at all past 85˚. Not keen to buy an Intel machine at this stage so not sure what to do now.

Reactions: ikir

Mycatballs

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2021
Here same display issue in a MacBook Pro w/touch bar 2018, bought back in April 2019. Now unwrapping my mid 2012 hanging an external hd on the side.

It’s frustrating to see how an insignia laptop with a faulty design improves the Apple support department to deny their responsibilities of taking care of the actual product and fix the actual problem and improve future versions.

Product recall, consumer protection rights and AppleCare are the available options to get it fixed, but TC’s apply, so I won’t make it for different particular reasons. House insurance? Hiring a solicitor?

My 1 year and 8 months old MBPro laptop, Is it the same than buying a new laptop for 1700$ every year?and I’m not using it for work, it’s just for the sake of using Apple and have a nice and reliable laptop for at least 5 or 6 years. This is now about to be reliable and trusted again.

Camduq

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021
Hello! I have the same problem. I have a 2017 13” MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.

I feel very frustrated that Apple is not taking responsibility on their faulty design problem with the flex gate. There is No Backlight and there is stage light in the ottom of the screen.

If you are having the same problem PLEASE report this issue, and LETS MAKE OUR VOICE GET HEARD!

This is unacceptable that as customers we are paying for premium quality products and Apple is not taking action on this problem that is a faulty design on the product.

If you are reading this, please help us solve this huge problem so that the MacBook Pro 13” 2017 is inculded in the Apple Program.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Apple Customer

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
My 2016 TB 15" MBP has now started to develop this issue. Contacted online chat support. They said while 13" models are covered under a repair program the 15" is not even though it seems obviously this issue is affecting 2016 13" and 15" models. Not sure if they are making exceptions in store for 15" owners or not. It's nor worth it to pay to fix this as the cost is very high.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.