Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Is it easy to get iCloud stuff working on macOS in a VM, like iMessage? Last time I tried a hackintosh none of that stuff worked or if it did it was very buggy. I am kind of the same right now, I actually like win 10 and find it faster than using macOS on my MBP, but I hate not having messages on my computer. I receive and reply to messages all day everyday on my MBP.

iMessage and iCloud work fine. It is a bit tricky though but if you invest about 5 minutes of editing a few files it is well worth it. Performance wise, it’s useable if all you need is iMessage.

However, I found that remoting into my Mac using Splashtop is a lot better and I can wake my Mac even when it’s in sleep mode from my PC. It works really fast too.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Do you know what we need? A macOS licence you can purchase and install on whatever you want.

Lol, I know, I'm a funny guy.

That would kill the mac hardware market over night.

Seriously, there is NO WAY i would buy apple hardware these days if i could run macOS on something else legally. There is plenty of much more suitable hardware out there for me - expandable, more capacity, better reliability, etc.

I didn't suggest a hackintosh or VM of macOS because the legality on non-apple hardware is dubious at best, and i've done hackintosh before; it was a pain. I like to keep up to date and you're constantly worried about apple breaking it.

That why i don't do it, and also why i don't run Windows dual boot. I've committed to the switch on the desktop side. I did dual boot windows for a while for gaming but i can get away without it now. It used to be a pain every time you dual boot into windows, running through gigs of windows updates, steam updates, etc. Want to play a game after work? Might be ready to play by 9pm.

Screw that. Running the one single OS, all your updates can happen over night like they should...

Reactions: H2SO4 and Queen6

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
iMessage and iCloud work fine. It is a bit tricky though but if you invest about 5 minutes of editing a few files it is well worth it. Performance wise, it’s useable if all you need is iMessage.

However, I found that remoting into my Mac using Splashtop is a lot better and I can wake my Mac even when it’s in sleep mode from my PC. It works really fast too.

So i could essentially just run macos in a vm on my windows machine and have access to imessage? That is...very intriguing.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I really wish it were that simple. For gamers like the OP (and myself), it becomes a bit more complicated. I prefer the Apple ecosystem, but there are too many sacrifices and roadblocks for gamers. Maybe one day....

Gaming on a Mac is simply an exercise in futility...

Q-6
[automerge]1574547372[/automerge]
Think I'd struggle to return to the Mac now as even with all the baggage W10 brings it's simply more flexible and works better for me professionally and that turns coin. Tempted by the new 16" MBP, equally I'll hold off until mid 2020 and see what Apple offers then...

Q-6

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Gaming on a Mac is simply an exercise in futility...
Definitely, I log on to steam and the difference between games available for windows vs. macOS is night and day. I recently signed up for MS's xBox service for a dollar, and I get even more games for a small fee. Even if you're not a gamer but enjoy the occasional game (as I do), PCs are such a better choice

it's simply more flexible and works better
That's where I'm at. Will I ever buy another Mac again? Perhaps, but I can't see myself doing it in the near future. If anything, I'll probably buy a new laptop with a more powerful GPU and not Mac.

Reactions: sracer

Queen6

macrumors G4
That's where I'm at. Will I ever buy another Mac again? Perhaps, but I can't see myself doing it in the near future. If anything, I'll probably buy a new laptop with a more powerful GPU and not Mac.

I don't rule out another Mac, however Apple needs to offer more than just nice looking ultrabooks. I wont be looking to upgrade until there's a tangible benefit and I don't see that until 2021. What might make the difference is if I have a change in portability need and want long battery runtime.

Same for a larger notebook, I'd be far more interested in one that offers both solid CPU & GPU performance and runs reasonably cool.

Q-6

Reactions: throAU

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA

Apple would do well to make Windows 10 bootcamp a more viable option for gamers. They almost had me back in the Mac fold, but there is no way I'm leaving my large Steam library and Xbox Game Pass access behind.

I highly recommend looking at a eGPU for your laptop when you are in the market. Unless you really need to game on the go, an eGPU gives you more flexibility in upgrading your gaming experience without having to buy a new laptop every time.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple would do well to make Windows 10 bootcamp a more viable option for gamers. They almost had me back in the Mac fold, but there is no way I'm leaving my large Steam library and Xbox Game Pass access behind.
I have no basis for this, but I see apple pulling back on their bootcamp support. I don't know if its related to a move to ARM, or wanting to keep people in macOS, but their releasing drivers and support has slowed to a trickle. I've always had odd driver issues running windows on my mac, much of that is behind me with my Thinkpad.

I highly recommend looking at a eGPU for your laptop
Yeah, that's good advice, and better then dropping $$$ for laptop with a more potent GPU.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I have no basis for this, but I see apple pulling back on their bootcamp support. I don't know if its related to a move to ARM, or wanting to keep people in macOS, but their releasing drivers and support has slowed to a trickle. I've always had odd driver issues running windows on my mac, much of that is behind me with my Thinkpad.

Well.....that's just going to broaden the gap between Mac and gamers, unfortunately, but you very well may be right.

Yeah, that's good advice, and better then dropping $$$ for laptop with a more potent GPU.

The only gotcha is having a laptop with fast thunderbolt ports. Unfortunately, not all thunderbolt implementations on laptops are equal.

Reactions: Queen6 and maflynn

nerdo

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2010
Deathstar Cantina
Just finished a vanilla build Hackintosh, M.2 for each OS, super fast and easy to dual boot. Have not encountered a single problem. It is also how I found out windows is in many ways still 1990's tech ;)

Reactions: Queen6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just finished a vanilla build Hackintosh, M.2 for each OS, super fast and easy to dual boot. Have not encountered a single problem. It is also how I found out windows is in many ways still 1990's tech ;)
Any issues or hassles with messenger? I had a major problem getting that working when I created a macos vm.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I'm still undecided on what to do. I know I said earlier I would get a console, but I don't think I'd be happy with that having played games on high end PCs in the past.

Part of the decision is that I enjoy speccing, building a new PC and the enjoyment of having something new. After a while this goes and I find myself back to base line enjoyment and questioning whether the PC is the best choice.

The biggest sticking point for me is the monitor. I don't know why, but the retina experience is something I value a lot, even though it has some lag on my Mac mini 2018.

The other hesitation is loosing some of that integration. On Windows I'd use Chrome and wouldn't have access to any of my Keychain passwords, so I'd have to setup a third party password manager.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I'm still undecided on what to do. I know I said earlier I would get a console, but I don't think I'd be happy with that having played games on high end PCs in the past.

Part of the decision is that I enjoy speccing, building a new PC and the enjoyment of having something new. After a while this goes and I find myself back to base line enjoyment and questioning whether the PC is the best choice.

The biggest sticking point for me is the monitor. I don't know why, but the retina experience is something I value a lot, even though it has some lag on my Mac mini 2018.

The other hesitation is loosing some of that integration. On Windows I'd use Chrome and wouldn't have access to any of my Keychain passwords, so I'd have to setup a third party password manager.

It’s almost impossible to go back to playing console full time after experiencing gaming on PC. Anything less than 144hz is so uncivilized. Retina displays are over rated.

If you can afford it, just have everything.

1. PS4 for console exclusives
2. PC desktop for gaming
3. MacBook Pro or Air on the go.

And if you have to use your Mac on a bigger screen, just connect it as needed. No need to think about flip flopping back and forth. It’s a waste of energy and thought. I’d rather just enjoy life :)

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Definitely, I log on to steam and the difference between games available for windows vs. macOS is night and day. I recently signed up for MS's xBox service for a dollar, and I get even more games for a small fee. Even if you're not a gamer but enjoy the occasional game (as I do), PCs are such a better choice

Same with the Epic games store. They give away at least two free games a month. Only a small number of them have Mac versions also.

I was going to say this also. PS4 has some incredible exclusives.

Queen6

macrumors G4
It’s almost impossible to go back to playing console full time after experiencing gaming on PC. Anything less than 144hz is so uncivilized. Retina displays are over rated.

If you can afford it, just have everything.

2. PC desktop for gaming
3. MacBook Pro or Air on the go.

And if you have to use your Mac on a bigger screen, just connect it as needed. No need to think about flip flopping back and forth. It’s a waste of energy and thought. I’d rather just enjoy life :)

I'll have my cake and eat it, primary notebook has a fast hex core and a 1070, next will have a faster octa core and a 2070 at a minimum..

One of the best things I've done is ditch Apple, as now the world is open, as opposed to being completely shuttered...

Q-6

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I'll have my cake and eat it, primary notebook has a fast hex core and a 1070, next will have a faster octa core and a 2070 at a minimum..

One of the best things I've done is ditch Apple, as now the world is open, as opposed to being completely shuttered...

Q-6

I think this is certainly the case when it comes a computer, you get only a small benefit of the integration with the rest of ecosystem. Outside of the computer, the Phone, Watch, TV and iPad integrate so well they do bring benefits that cannot be easily replicated.

Reactions: TopherMan12

Queen6

macrumors G4
I think this is certainly the case when it comes a computer, you get only a small benefit of the integration with the rest of ecosystem. Outside of the computer, the Phone, Watch, TV and iPad integrate so well they do bring benefits that cannot be easily replicated.

Don't care about the rest, barring the basics. Certainly don't want to rely on a single provider. Our computers generate revenue and Apple needs to step up significantly to be remotely considered again.

We didn't drop Apple due to it being the best, we dropped Apple as it was selling unreliable overpriced garbage and didn't listen to it's diminishing professional audience. The W10 machines aren't perfect, equally they are not problematic.

Once 100% Apple, today zero, message is simple and clear.

Q-6

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

I don’t think the Mac integration is small by any means. Automatically syncing all you messages, notes and reminders in itself is huge. Plus you’ve got the whole continuity stuff between devices, the keychain, the auto code filler, Apple wallet integration, Password sync integration and so much more.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I went back to Windows 10 for my personal computer. A combination of not being able to work on large VS 2019 projects and being tired of not being able to do any of my old games with PlayOnMac with OS Catalina. (Age of Empires). I make my $ with Windows only.

Picked up an XPS desktop at Costco this week for super cheap, spent $300 making it into a beast of machine, took the Radeon RX 580 out of the Sonnet EGPU I was using for my MBP and put it into the XPS 9830. The performance is insane. Windows 10 is instant, smooth, no lag.

I work all day on Windows 10 and ... this is my first Windows 10 personal machine for the last 5+ years. Wow I'm impressed. I agree with the OP... Windows 10 on good hardware feels like lightning. No lag, super fast, works well, and I feel at home once again. However, I love Mac OS and Apple hardware.

Being able to play all the old games again - WoW / Starcraft on Ultra is nice. Age of Empires II DE, Warcraft II... :). My family, friends and I still play a game of AOE every month or so (haven't since OS Catalina).

But I have similar problems... my wife still wants to use iMessage. WhatsApp, GroupMe, Skype leave MUCH to be desired for communication.

I use Office / OneNote / OneDrive so data wise I'm ok.

DayOne is probably the most used Mac only app I use that I really like.

Mac does a lot of things better (ease of use, syncing, etc.).

I'm pretty happy with the world I have now.
High end Windows desktop with a 4k monitor.
MBP 2017.
iPad/iPhone.

Grieved to see GoToMyPc is so damn expensive these days.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Definitely, I log on to steam and the difference between games available for windows vs. macOS is night and day.

And this is kinda the angle i was aiming Linux at. The linux native game selection isn’t far off the mac native selection. However, as of this year, Linux also has a decent selection of the Windows titles available via Proton (wine) in a “click and play” manner, whereas the mac does not, and Valve are not porting Proton to Mac.

If you’re a mac user and dual booting to Windows that is different, but for a single platform, in 2019 Linux is nowhere near as much of a compromise as it used to be, especially if you aren’t bound to any platform specific non-gaming applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.