Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Think Motorola is onto something with this. Phone with screen size of iPhone 11. But folds to half size. With little 2.7” screen on back with basic functionality that will often eliminate need to open it.

Don‘t think Samsung’s implementation, full size phone / mini tablet combo, that is still big when folded, is what the masses wants. They just want a phone. And many will appreciate 6.2” screen phone that folds to a much more portable size.

The price will come down if it sells. Also, they can crank out smaller and larger screen versions.
Indeed, I think Samsung and Motorola took 2 different approaches when imagining their Foldables.

Samsung chose to go for the heavy user Phablet lovers, their typical Galaxy Note customer who still wants more. People who would even buy the 7inch tablets and use them as phones, very niche market in general.

On the other hand Motorola went with the mass appeal strategy, rather than focus on specs and screen size, they focused heavily on practicality and how this thing can fit in anyone's life.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Both Huawei and Samsung have shown interest in the foldable flip phone too, this form factor will be a thing.

It will be interesting to see if the new Moto Razr sells out immediately when it goes on sale, as the Mate X and Galaxy Fold have.

I love the look of the phone, it's dope, but the price vs materials and value is very difficult to justify unless you have money to throw away, $1500 is a lot of money for a midrange phone with a fancy screen.

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
I definitely prefer a candy bar that opens to a tablet. I don't want a 6 to 7 inch phone that folds in half. This doesn't do a thing for me. My Note 10+ is already 6.8 inches and fits just fine in my pockets. So other than nostalgia, there's no reason for me to want a clamshell. But I can see why others may value the clamshell differently. So it's all good. Once Samsung gets out a more refined version of the Fold, and starts using flexible glass, I'm holding off.

Reactions: Klyster and jamezr

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I definitely prefer a candy bar that opens to a tablet. I don't want a 6 to 7 inch phone that folds in half. This doesn't do a thing for me. My Note 10+ is already 6.8 inches and fits just fine in my pockets. So other than nostalgia, there's no reason for me to want a clamshell. But I can see why others may value the clamshell differently. So it's all good. Once Samsung gets out a more refined version of the Fold, and starts using flexible glass, I'm holding off.

yeah, I think I'm in the same boat but I definitely know people who would prefer the smaller footprint and then fold out to the size of large phones today.

LBM4

Suspended
Sep 26, 2019
I love the look of the phone, it's dope, but the price vs materials and value is very difficult to justify unless you have money to throw away, $1500 is a lot of money for a midrange phone with a fancy screen.
My exact thoughts to a tee!!!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Ain't the top end loaded iPhone 11 pro max tipping the scales at about 1500 bucks?

Yes but functionally, the Razr is much closer (though still falls short) to the iPhone 11. A 128GB iPhone 11 costs $749 yet has better CPU, cameras, battery, water resistance, wireless charging and comparable display resolution.

This Razr is solely to display the wonderful job Moto did solving the folding display hinge/crease problem and is a much better solution vs. what Samsung did on the Fold. It’s basically an early prototype that people can buy and priced accordingly. I’m genuinely intrigued to see future evolutions of this type of device and is a great first effort from Moto. That being said, I find it severely compromised and too expensive for what it’s offering, IMO.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Ain't the top end loaded iPhone 11 pro max tipping the scales at about 1500 bucks?
This Moto RAZR has internals equivalent to a $200 Realme phone. If you think the foldable feature is worth $1300, well, more power to you.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
This Moto RAZR has internals equivalent to a $200 Realme phone. If you think the foldable feature is worth $1300, well, more power to you.

Err... I'm to the point I don't think most devices are worth their asking price anymore... Even OnePlus is getting into the price creep game. The pixel 3a might be worth it's price point (I grabbed mine for 299 + tax but have yet to set it up) in the Apple world seems like the SE is their best value with the standard 11 being a second.

Every year seems like an extra 100 bucks is slipped into the price for some features no body asked for.

These last rounds of phones have left me a bit sour and disappointed because the at the basic level the only thing different is a higher price point for marginal iterative "upgrades"

Samsung is rumored to shove up to a 120hz panel into a future device, what's that going to do for price? :oops: What about battery life? I think Samsung can at least put a battery in that might keep up.

Eh, I'm rambling again :)

I understand the fold and razr are concept devices that are not meant for mass sales hence their higher price points. In either case I'm marginally interested in both these devices but not to own, just see how they progress.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Both Huawei and Samsung have shown interest in the foldable flip phone too, this form factor will be a thing.

It will be interesting to see if the new Moto Razr sells out immediately when it goes on sale, as the Mate X and Galaxy Fold have.

I do not think its so much throwing money away for some.

There is a market for some measure of exclusivity offered by these new form factors that have appeal over mere specs of similar priced premium devices

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I do not think its so much throwing money away for some.

There is a market for some measure of exclusivity offered by these new form factors that have appeal over mere specs of similar priced premium devices

Oh for sure, for some people, this is entirely true, I totally get your point.

But really, to me anyway, the new form factor isn't appealing, and I'll go out on a limb and say the same for the majority of people, I could be totally wrong.

Using the device, it would be an annoying step a for me, to go from the new form factor to the current form factor, multiple times a day and even when you're there, you don't have a tangible improvement.

If pocket space is at a premium for you, then yes, maybe it's worth $1500 US to get something that folds up and saves you pocket space, that prerequisite would justify getting one maybe?

But this is in the age where large phone are ubiquitous, people seem to like large phones, you can get them for a couple of hundred dollars and that's with the option of smaller devices that don't seem to sell as well.

Now a phone that folds into a tablet has a in your face tangible benefit.
Personally, I just don't see the Moto Fold having the same advantage.

I love the look of the phone, and if it were a lot cheaper, I'd recommend it to some people, but not what it is now.

All of this is just my simple opinion and holds no weight.

You, SteveJUAE, are the one person I'd have guessed here that would be all over this new device :)
I guess I'm a little more conservative in my device choice.

I'm not against the phone in any way of form, I love seeing boundaries pushed, and the pushes are always fraught with compromises.
Other makers will be on-board soon, this form factor will be a thing.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Oh for sure, for some people, this is entirely true, I totally get your point.

But really, to me anyway, the new form factor isn't appealing, and I'll go out on a limb and say the same for the majority of people, I could be totally wrong.

Using the device, it would be an annoying step a for me, to go from the new form factor to the current form factor, multiple times a day and even when you're there, you don't have a tangible improvement.

If pocket space is at a premium for you, then yes, maybe it's worth $1500 US to get something that folds up and saves you pocket space, that prerequisite would justify getting one maybe?

But this is in the age where large phone are ubiquitous, people seem to like large phones, you can get them for a couple of hundred dollars and that's with the option of smaller devices that don't seem to sell as well.

Now a phone that folds into a tablet has a in your face tangible benefit.
Personally, I just don't see the Moto Fold having the same advantage.

I love the look of the phone, and if it were a lot cheaper, I'd recommend it to some people, but not what it is now.

All of this is just my simple opinion and holds no weight.

You, SteveJUAE, are the one person I'd have guessed here that would be all over this new device :)
I guess I'm a little more conservative in my device choice.

I'm not against the phone in any way of form, I love seeing boundaries pushed, and the pushes are always fraught with compromises.
Other makers will be on-board soon, this form factor will be a thing.
I'm not disagreeing with any of your points or observations :)

It's more of a case of perspectives and us enthusiasts are often stuck in the world of specs where other factors are at play with these folding devices and can account for their relative success

I think most of us are guilty of purchasing jewelry for our partners where the intrinsic value is a fraction of the sticker price, Yet any self respecting Indian buys by gold content and thinks nothing of re-smelting and so getting a new piece from an existing, as the makers cost is almost peanuts compared to what most westerners pay

Equally it does not matter how good the spec's are of say the Apple watch, many wont buy it over a fine brand conventional watch. For them the Apple watch maybe just a disposable gym gadget

These new folding devices currently cross more in to the territory of designer goods which seems missed on some here

It's nice to think that mass production/success will drive prices down and value (bang for your buck) up, but it may take a while.

After all we haven't seen Iphones prices drop despite their numbers produced :D so there is likely a massive premium that many are already willing to pay.

The Fold and Razr just push it a bit further which in part is due to new materials and design development although the fold has maintained specs along with design hence it's hefty price tag

Last edited:
Reactions: Klyster

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I think most of us are guilty of purchasing jewelry for our partners where the intrinsic value is a fraction of the sticker price.

Not me :D
She buys her own hahahaha, I don't really get jewelry, I'm all like, "what does it do?"

Equally it does not matter how good the spec's are of say the Apple watch, many wont buy it over a fine brand conventional watch. For them the Apple watch maybe just a disposable gym gadget

These new folding devices currently cross more in to the territory of designer goods which seems missed on some here

It's nice to think that mass production/success will drive prices down and value (bang for your buck) up, but it may take a while.

After all we haven't seen Iphones prices drop despite their numbers produced :D so there is likely a massive premium that many are already willing to pay.

The Fold and Razr just push it a bit further which in part is due to new materials and design development

yep, agreed.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Not me :D
She buys her own hahahaha, I don't really get jewelry, I'm all like, "what does it do?"

I wish and don't get me started on shoes and handbags (purses), sorry ladies :)

I wont be getting the Razr, looks a little feminine for my taste and I doubt it will get to KL

I must say the Fold as a companion device to even a laptop is great at times I find its easier to use it like a 2nd screen for reference material or quick fact

A bit like a book you pick up and put down to continue typing

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Even if the specs were flagship level, this device just makes no sense to me. You pay a premium just to get something thats a little more pocket friendly? At least with the other foldable devices you get a traditional phone layout that expands into a tablet for improves media consumption and productivity. With this you get nothing added. But kudos to Motorola for the engineering on the hinge. That looks great.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Women's clothing come with pockets designed by people who obviously think women are a kind of marsupial already, with purses permanently attached to us and no need for real pockets of any significance.

So I’d be all for a clamshell phone, but it’s got to have the premium specs I’m used to on my 11 Pro and Note 10+ if it’s going to be priced at higher than those phones are.

Sweet Baby Yoda! I can’t be paying what they’re asking for the Razr and give up the amazing cameras I waited years for.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
In that case, it's a good Samsung will have you and people that share your preference, covered. They have both, the clamshell galaxy fold will be out soon. It's all about OEMs offering choice to the users.
I won't be getting any foldable, I simply pointed out that the Razr as the most promise.

I'm happy with my iPhone and Pixel.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hahahaha. Are you kidding me? Good luck with that Motorola. A folding phone that will have a subpar screen all to have the benefit of...getting the same size screen an non foldable phones? Nah, that’s a hard pass.

that’s even more funny!

Motorola historically:

StarTac (dark blue/silver) flip phone with batterybehind screen lid sold at International car shows in North America for $1500! Retail for $1000.

Motrola Razr V6 (I think this was the Vodafone only HSPA phone) sold for $1000.

do NOT underestimate the powerful nostalgia of the flip and that solid closing snap! I’ll say it’s a LOT more iconic that Samsung’s slide which Nokia attempted to capture with their phone within The Matrix.

LBM4

Suspended
Sep 26, 2019
Once the price goes down and they get another generation of the foldable screen with less chance of debris getting in behind that hinge, I think they will sell a ton of these. I still have my original Razr in its box, and it still boots up and works like a champ.

After reading up on this phone and how it was made, I now understand why the used the Snapdragon 710, instead of the latest gen 9 series. And do to the thinness of the device, with dual batteries, they could only get a total of 2500mAh. The drawbacks are a direct result of the design. You have to pay for the uniqueness.

Reactions: 5105973

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Once the price goes down and they get another generation of the foldable screen with less chance of debris getting in behind that hinge, I think they will sell a ton of these. I still have my original Razr in its box, and it still boots up and works like a champ.

After reading up on this phone and how it was made, I now understand why the used the Snapdragon 710, instead of the latest gen 9 series. And do to the thinness of the device, with dual batteries, they could only get a total of 2500mAh. The drawbacks are a direct result of the design. You have to pay for the uniqueness.
Doubt you will see price reduction, these are niche limited edition formats

You may aswell hope for reduced iPhone

Premium products seldom reduce, each release sees increased prices with new features etc

It's not like TV,s or washing machines etc that seem to decrease over the years

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.