Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Showmaster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2018
Hi,

I would always customise the icon of my folder, you know:

Open a picture in Preview, Command + A, then Command + C.
Then go to "Info" of the folder in question, click on the standard (blue) picture and with Command + V the folder will now show the customised picture.

However, now in Mojave; the picture will be completely blurry? Even if the original picture is super sharp.
Why?
And how to get a sharp picture for my folder icons again please?

Showmaster

Showmaster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2018
Some research says if the image was not square it would be blurry.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8562625

The Apple forum has been down the whole day yesterday.....from where I am anyway.

Some testing shows that the first picture I tried was blurry, and a cropped to square version was sharp.

Also interesting is that iPhone photos are sharp (even not square) and other images are blurry.

[doublepost=1544074863][/doublepost]
i've used plaster, for years, to make icons for things; simple: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/46214/plaster

Thanks, interesting too!

However, the "square" tip seems to work indeed! (After a couple of minutes trying).
In previous OSX versions the exact square shape was not that critical, though.

Thanks very much!

Showmaster

Last edited:

dan329

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2018
The custom icons appear blurry if the original is not square in size... but when you make an alias of a file with a custom icon, it changes the format of the original icon making it more portrait than square, and makes the icon blurry again.

anyone have a work around?

Showmaster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2018
The custom icons appear blurry if the original is not square in size... but when you make an alias of a file with a custom icon, it changes the format of the original icon making it more portrait than square, and makes the icon blurry again.

anyone have a work around?

Make sure the picture you want to use is absolutely square......and I mean square!
Height and width will have to be identical.

That normally does the trick although it takes a few attempts some times.

Showmaster

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
this is so annoying, I wish they could fix this in MOjave, cant update to Catalyna yet.

anyone knows if this happens too in Catalyna?

this is so annoying, I wish they could fix this in MOjave, cant update to Catalyna yet.

anyone knows if this happens too in Catalyna?

I tried this and I think is the closest experience to copy paste image/icon, first open the app, drag the image then drag the folder and it would take the previous image. few steps

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.