Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Apple changed all the episodes to HDR instead of Dolby Vision, even the previous ones that already played in DV before.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
3 episodes a month? This won’t save them. In the age of streaming it’s a bad idea imo. You want your viewers invested in your series. They are competing with Netflix and Amazon who release entire seasons at a time. I can wait 3 months or 6 month. ? HBO strings the audience along but that is 4 episodes a month. For Game of Thrones, I waited 2 months to start my binge subscription. $15 for 10 episodes is reasonable. For AppleTV that would be $5.

So 10 episode season FAM?
With For All Mankind it’s a 10-episode season with episodes released weekly (inherently a minimum of 4 episodes per month and sometimes 5). Some shows (like Dickinson) have the entire season released all at once.

Reactions: Huntn

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Episode 6 is right after the flashforward of episode 5. This is one fast track space program!!!

Yeah.. the jump confused me a little bit. I had forgotten about the flash forward at the end of the 5th.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
The way these writers are shoving this story around is completely absurd. If not for the subject matter, I would absolutely give up on this, and I’m not far off. The writing is **** from simply a character and story perspective. If you do know a bit about the real history and have any semblance of respect for it, the writing is a dumpster fire.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The way these writers are shoving this story around is completely absurd. If not for the subject matter, I would absolutely give up on this, and I’m not far off. The writing is **** from simply a character and story perspective. If you do know a bit about the real history and have any semblance of respect for it, the writing is a dumpster fire.

This is an Alternative History Fictional Show - which is the show's whole point.

Reactions: mazz0

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Episode 7 is out already. Just finished watching it — lots of twists and turns to this one:
  • On the Moon, they’re now surveilling Soviet activities in response to the flashing red lights Gordo saw at the end of episode 6.
  • Gordo goes AWOL while Ed and Danielle are out trying to find the soviets and gets in an altercation with Ed upon his return, to which Ed responds by confining Gordo to the base.
  • Gordo’s being confined to the base leads him to cabin fever, culminating in a mental breakdown and necessitates a return home using the “lifeboat,” and if Houston were to find out why, he’d never be able to fly again.
  • Because the government is concerned about abandoning the base, Ed stays at the base alone, awaiting Apollo 24, while Danielle and Gordo will return home. Ed says that Danielle will be the commander of the return mission.
  • Danielle, knowing Gordo’s fate should Houston find out why they’re coming home, has an “accident” and breaks her arm to cover up the real reason for the return trip.
  • Ellen gets interviewed by the FBI agent regarding her relationship with Larry. Soon thereafter, the agent surmises that not only is Larry gay, but Ellen is, too. Weisner advises that there is a way to make these accusations go away — to get married.
  • The mere serious discussion of a fake marriage between Ellen and Larry causes her girlfriend to leave her. Ellen and Larry then get “married” at the courthouse toward the end of the episode.
  • Ed finds out about his son’s recent misbehavior and lashes out via video call. Shane later is caught stealing, and we see him coming home with Karen, who grounds him until “after Christmas.” He lashes out, calling it a “load of crap” that he can’t play a basketball game and “let the team down.” Karen leaves to go to a PTA meeting, then Shane leaves on a bike to go to his game. The episode ends with Karen finding a police car at her house, the officers saying that there had been an accident.
A lot to unpack there in the next three episodes…

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
I hope Shane is not dead. ?
I have a hunch that he’s injured, not dead. Gives them a little more drama to work with, with his father stranded, alone, on the Moon for at least a couple weeks. Besides, their most recent goodbyes weren’t exactly the warmest. (Of course, if Shane is dead, Ed grappling with the grief on his own on the Moon could be quite the storyline, too. I just don’t think that’s the route they’ll take with it.)

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I have a hunch that he’s injured, not dead. Gives them a little more drama to work with, with his father stranded, alone, on the Moon for at least a couple weeks. Besides, their most recent goodbyes weren’t exactly the warmest. (Of course, if Shane is dead, Ed grappling with the grief on his own on the Moon could be quite the storyline, too. I just don’t think that’s the route they’ll take with it.)
That would be too cruel for him. And considers the Russians are nearby ... ?

Reactions: jonblatho

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I have a hunch that he’s injured, not dead. Gives them a little more drama to work with, with his father stranded, alone, on the Moon for at least a couple weeks. Besides, their most recent goodbyes weren’t exactly the warmest.
If his son is critically injured (e.g., permanently paralyzed) or dead, I don't think Houston will allow Karen to let Ed know until he gets back. Of course, that doesn't rule out Ed being suspicious of Karen on satellite chats.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Danielle: Oof, talk about throwing you under the bus.

Gordo: Stop moping around. Do the right thing and repay Danielle's sacrifice.

Karen: She takes the center stage and the actress (Shantel VanSanten) is doing a fantastic job. This character is complex, bridging the idealized astronaut wife of the 50s into 60s and 70s. Her phone call to Ed was just beautiful.

Ed: Poor Ed. Don't do anything crazy (just as Gordo) and come back in one piece. Karen needs you.

Tracy: A true friend. But don't you have a space ship to train for?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Tough episode. Good acting’s all around.
The question remains, the booze on the moon? Can’t see NASA allows that.

TMS Next.

Reactions: zinacef

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
Tough episode. Good acting’s all around.
The question remains, the booze on the moon? Can’t see NASA allows that.

TMS Next.
I agree! I really didn't think they would have eliminated Shane. I thought maybe he would be injured and that was it. Also, I think there will be consequences in some way for Ed for having destroyed the Russian's equipment. I don't think we've seen the last of that.

Reactions: matrix07

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I really didn't think they would have eliminated Shane.

I thought maybe he would be injured and that was it.

Neither did I.
I’m stunned to see Tracy reaction when Karen came back to the hospital to meet that doctor from NASA. I wouldn’t think they would do this to Shane. “Extremely unlikely” huh..

Also, I think there will be consequences in some way for Ed for having destroyed the Russian's equipment. I don't think we've seen the last of that.

This is all building up to the climax of Episode 10. ?

Reactions: zinacef

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Anyone watch today’s episode? Want to talk, by don’t know how to spoiler tag

We knew a confrontation was coming with the Russians, but I really was not expecting it to go the way of cold blooded murder. It going to be really interesting to see where Ed goes from here, not to mention the political fallout... also not clear if there are other Cosmonauts on the moon or just poor Ivan.

I’m anxious about Apollo 24. I suspect they’ll be able to correct their course to make it to the moon but either with no fuel to return to Earth or they’ll crash on the surface and be stuck there with Ed.

Do we know who got vaporized by the booster? Was it Deke or the 3rd crewman?

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
We knew a confrontation was coming with the Russians, but I really was not expecting it to go the way of cold blooded murder. It going to be really interesting to see where Ed goes from here, not to mention the political fallout... also not clear if there are other Cosmonauts on the moon or just poor Ivan.

I’m anxious about Apollo 24. I suspect they’ll be able to correct their course to make it to the moon but either with no fuel to return to Earth or they’ll crash on the surface and be stuck there with Ed.

I suspect that he just knocked the russian cosmonaut unconscious to take him prisoner

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
This Episode is ???

There’s an Episode 10th teaser at the end of the credit.

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Harrison Lu got vaporized, the token Asian guy.
This episode took a strong turn, and I don't mean in a bad way. Just about everyone is in a jam now.
  • Ed, for starting the moon war (to be fair, the Soviets provoked it)
  • Karen, whose husband probably isn't coming home any time soon, perhaps never, while dealing with indirectly causing her son's death and Ed's insanity
  • Presumed surviving crew members of Apollo 24, Ellen and Deke
  • Margo, for having to deal with not only the moon war, but Apollo 24
  • Aleida, who is now effectively an orphan
The only silver linings are Gordo and Tracy -- their cool thinking and teamwork saved even bigger disaster (while being true friends to Ed and Karen).

Reactions: ipedro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.