Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

bare spots

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
northeast
Thanks for this, will be hoping to put it to good use. Have a g4 flat panel that been sitting for after it went down and was figuring some day I could look into when I had the time, in hopes might be a simple fix, as well as learning more about how these machines work and run. Well that has come, waiting on a few things to get here, and to see if it's gonna be simple. Thanks

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Thanks for this, will be hoping to put it to good use. Have a g4 flat panel that been sitting for after it went down and was figuring some day I could look into when I had the time, in hopes might be a simple fix, as well as learning more about how these machines work and run. Well that has come, waiting on a few things to get here, and to see if it's gonna be simple. Thanks
Suggest you start a new thread if you want specific help with a G4 (presumably an iMac). There are already many similar threads on the iMac G4 - one of my favourites if not the favourite PPC machine.

Anglosaxon

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2020
Does anyone have any links/suggestions where one can find add ons to use with Safari/Webkit browser (Powerbook G4, OSX 10.5.8, 1.67GHz, 2GB) Need an ad block and anything else to make it work smoother. I've got the TTF working with the add ons, Thanks to all you Guys sharing your knowledge and expertise.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Does anyone have any links/suggestions where one can find add ons to use with Safari/Webkit browser (Powerbook G4, OSX 10.5.8, 1.67GHz, 2GB) Need an ad block and anything else to make it work smoother. I've got the TTF working with the add ons, Thanks to all you Guys sharing your knowledge and expertise.

Install NinjaKit extension which will allow you to add scripts or use a custom hosts file that blocks ads before they reach your browser.

Attachments

• NinjaKit.safariextz.zip
    160.1 KB · Views: 304

Anglosaxon

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2020
Thankyou Dronecatcher, Am i doing something wrong? Downloaded Ninjakit it opens up in the regular safari (not the webkit safari) which of course means safari tells me it cant open the page. How to get Ninjakit to open up in Webkitsafari?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Thankyou Dronecatcher, Am i doing something wrong? Downloaded Ninjakit it opens up in the regular safari (not the webkit safari) which of course means safari tells me it cant open the page. How to get Ninjakit to open up in Webkitsafari?

I'm sure it installs just by dragging onto the window? You have to enable extensions in preferences too.

Anglosaxon

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2020
Yes that worked thankyou. So Im copying the script from greasy fork into a new script page in Ninjakit window (add new script) I save. But so far tried on a couple different scripts and they dont work. I found a good script called 'Autoclose You Tube Ads' which i would love to get working. Cant find an Ad block script yet? And when i try to add extention UBlock origin ad blocker Safari/webkit crashes and closes. So frustrating. AHHHHHHH! .. Im struggling with Hosts file :-(

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Yes that worked thankyou. So Im copying the script from greasy fork into a new script page in Ninjakit window (add new script) I save. But so far tried on a couple different scripts and they dont work. I found a good script called 'Autoclose You Tube Ads' which i would love to get working. Cant find an Ad block script yet? And when i try to add extention UBlock origin ad blocker Safari/webkit crashes and closes. So frustrating. AHHHHHHH! .. Im struggling with Hosts file :-(

Afraid I can't help with the adblock scripts as I never use one - although I use a Youtube script, Viewtube with NinjaKit and it works flawlessly.

What specific problem are you having with the hosts file?

Anglosaxon

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2020
Fantastic! Thankyou Dronecatcher i got Viewtube up and running on Ninjakit its great! Thankyou
Now to just stop those blasted ads.
Im trying to figure out Hosts file.
Do you know is Glimmer Blocker still working?

Last edited:

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Fantastic! Thankyou Dronecatcher i got Viewtube up and running on Ninjakit its great!
Now to just stop those blasted ads.
So following the host file instructions it goes wrong at step 3. I type into the terminal the instructions
$su - administrator
$su - root¹
and I get command not found.
¹(Launch the Directory Utility and enable root in the edit menue) I dont get an obvious option to enable root and no edit menu?
Im not sure what im doing here. LOL :)
Instructions are:
You may use the included batch file "mvps.bat" to copy the included HOSTS file to the proper
location on your machine. This batch file will backup the existing HOSTS file prior to copying
the updated version. The backed-up file will be renamed to HOSTS.MVP.

I opened 'mvps.bat' file with terminal and it said process completed.

Im a bit lost from there on i hate to admit.

Ok...here's how I do it.

Open the hosts.zip (I always change the HOSTS to lowercase as the existing OSX one is lowercase)

Copy this line into Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

Enter/return and then type killall Finder

Enter/return

This allows Finder to show hidden files/folders.

Then in Finder, navigate to /private/etc

Find hosts and rename it hosts_old

Move the downloaded hosts into the etc folder (you'll be asked for your password)

To return your Finder into the normal mode of hiding hidden files/folders, copy this into Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

Enter/return and type killall Finder

Enter/return

Type dscacheutil -flushcache

Enter/return

That should do it :)

Anglosaxon

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2020
Haha! So far so good. Thankyou! It wouldnt give me permission to change the host file name so made a copy onto desktop. Thankyou for taking the time to write that all out i appreciate it. Thankyou. from what i read from you guys discussing things, you use TFF for internet because its more stable and Safari/webkit for youtube. I notice safari/webkit doesnt open ALL websites, is that something you guys have fixed or just live with?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Haha! So far so good. Thankyou! It wouldnt give me permission to change the host file name so made a copy onto desktop. Thankyou for taking the time to write that all out i appreciate it. Thankyou. from what i read from you guys discussing things, you use TFF for internet because its more stable and Safari/webkit for youtube. I notice safari/webkit doesnt open ALL websites, is that something you guys have fixed or just live with?

On PowerPC it's good policy to have many browsers for different jobs. I get better use out of Webkit by enabling all the extra scripts that came in the bundle and via the Develop menu using an older user agent - this stops the browser attempting to load features that it isn't capable of.
Also Fluid allows you to make single sites browsers for Webkit and TenFourFoxBox does the same for TenFourFox.

Reactions: Anglosaxon

vorob

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Guys, two questions. Guide talks about tenfox browser, and I found that interwebppc replaced it. Does it also need these addons Decentraleyes & uMatrix and then installing foxPEP for ultra optimization?

And second question bout power profiles of iBook:
5CBA64F9-86C1-4A5C-9BC1-0CB0C2FC88B2.jpeg
What do they chance? Only sleep and screen off time or it also affect cpu and gpu clock.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
What do they chance? Only sleep and screen off time or it also affect cpu and gpu clock.
The CPU toggles between a reduced speed, on demand ie slows down when idle or doing lesser tasks and full speed.

The add-ons you mentioned can help and an optimised prefs file will definitely help - either use FoxPEP or edit your own.

Reactions: Amethyst1

vorob

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Guys, how can i repartition my drive with already installed os tiger? I've got single partition, but i need to split the drive for another os

vorob

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Thanks! Though i thought Disk Utility can do this :)

I've got question about *.sit files. I read it's like typical zip file but when i download games it takes ages to unpack sit while zip stuff works faster. Any reason for it?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Though i thought Disk Utility can do this :)
Tiger’s Disk Utility can’t repartition a drive without erasing it. Leopard’s Disk Utility and iPartition can. I thought you want to repartition without losing all your stuff :)

vorob

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Tiger’s Disk Utility can’t repartition a drive without erasing it. Leopard’s Disk Utility and iPartition can. I thought you want to repartition without losing all your stuff :)
Exactly, and I partition helped me. I just though it would be possible to do with native app of tiger, but now I see how it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.