Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsgr

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2017
I have 2011 MBP that has failed dGPU which I have disabled using MikeN’s method. I have it hooked up to eGPU using TB1/2 -> TB3 adapter to Razer Core X Chroma. It works great with AOC’s 40” curved 4K monitor.

I am using the Akitio 2 Thunder Box + eGPU Nvidia GTX 1050 mini (2GB) and testing with a Samsung Smart TV.

- nvram gpu-power-prefs to Intel GPU.
- failed AMD GPU power off by LoginHook -> AMDRadeonX3000.kext

The video works correctly via HDMI.
The problem is audio via HDMI. Apple has blocked HDMI audio for eGPU Nvidia in High Sierra 10.13.6.
AMD eGPUs do not have this problem.

SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs
https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/sc...-2-macs-on-macos-10-13-4/paged/39/#post-63972

Attachments

• HS-10.13.6-17G8030-MacbookPro15-2011-Nvidia-GTX1050-Mini.jpg
    HS-10.13.6-17G8030-MacbookPro15-2011-Nvidia-GTX1050-Mini.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 286

nsgr

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2017
Hi guys,

I messed up, without thinking I clicked to update my late 2011 MBP... so my previous graphics card fix was deleted.

Tried to do the fix again, but unsuccessful. Tried everything (but probably wrong)... I did do an internet recovery as well.

Now I tried to follow the steps from the youtube video “2011 Macbook Pro Graphics Card FIX 100% WORKING!!!” But after step 2, csrutil disable, I get the error “this tool needs to be executed from recovery OS”

Further steps don’t work... anyone can give me some help....

Thanks,
Tim

csrutil disable only work with Recovery Mode:

1 - nvram gpu-power-prefs to Intel GPU(Single User mode: press Command + S keys at boot) and reboot.

2 - Recovery Mode 1 -> Press Command + R keys at boot -> graphical screen -> menu Utilities -> Terminal
Code:
csrutil disable
reboot

3 - Recovery Mode 2 -> power on Macbook Pro and press Option key at boot -> insert macOS installer USB Stick -> press Command + S keys and hold and click macOS installer icon -> Recovery Mode terminal:
Code:
csrutil disable
reboot

4 - After csrutil disable -> boot Single User Mode (press Command + S keys at boot) -> Mikey N Guide -> move the new AMDRadeonX3000.kext from /System/Library/Extensions to another directory.

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I am using the Akitio 2 Thunder Box + eGPU Nvidia GTX 1050 mini (2GB) and testing with a Samsung Smart TV.

- nvram gpu-power-prefs to Intel GPU.
- failed AMD GPU power off by LoginHook -> AMDRadeonX3000.kext

The video works correctly via HDMI.
The problem is audio via HDMI. Apple has blocked HDMI audio for eGPU Nvidia in High Sierra 10.13.6.
AMD eGPUs do not have this problem.

SCRIPT] PurgeWrangler: AMD + NVIDIA eGPUs for all Thunderbolt Macs
https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/sc...-2-macs-on-macos-10-13-4/paged/39/#post-63972
I have no problem with sound with mine.
As you noted AMD eGPUs do not have this problem.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 3.54.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 3.54.25 PM.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 274
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 3.54.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 3.54.19 PM.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 307

Clockwise7

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2018
Barcelona
csrutil disable only work with Recovery Mode:

1 - nvram gpu-power-prefs to Intel GPU(Single User mode: press Command + S keys at boot) and reboot.

2 - Recovery Mode 1 -> Press Command + R keys at boot -> graphical screen -> menu Utilities -> Terminal
Code:
csrutil disable
reboot

3 - Recovery Mode 2 -> power on Macbook Pro and press Option key at boot -> insert macOS installer USB Stick -> press Command + S keys and hold and click macOS installer icon -> Recovery Mode terminal:
Code:
csrutil disable
reboot

4 - After csrutil disable -> boot Single User Mode (press Command + S keys at boot) -> Mikey N Guide -> move the new AMDRadeonX3000.kext from /System/Library/Extensions to another directory.

Thanks, ill try...

rodrigueztb

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2019
I've tryed a lot ways to recovery my mbp early 15. This thread helped me a lot, thanks for everyone. All methods worked but not 100%.

Yesterday i've installed catalina using the dosdude patcher on a new ssd. After that, i dont move any kext or made any modification. Its working PERFECTLY. Brightness control, sleep mode. I dont try mojave, was trying on high sierra.

jngraham

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2019
Hi there! I've just joined this forum to give my feedback on this issue. You might call me a luddite since I'm still on Yosemite, but that's by the by. I got here after two failed dGPUs, one in fall 2014 and the other in June this year.

I used @MikeyN 's strategy from post #875. It worked great in terms of disabling the dGPU but I had issues with sleep/wake as well as shutdown and reboot, as others in this thread have had. I tried putting the pmset -a force gpuswitch 0 line in the LoginHook, but that didn't resolve the sleep/wake issue.

Because of the shutdown problems, I used @nsgr 's shell scripts to set the nvram variable before shutdown and reboot, which worked as a temporary measure. I found that @MikeyN 's solution persisted through many shutdowns, both normal and forced.

Then I decided to try the grub solution with the WakeHandler by blackgate on GitHub: https://github.com/blackgate/AMDGPUWakeHandler. It works splendidly.

Now here comes the part I did not find in this thread: another solution to the shutdown/reboot issues: I used a LaunchDaemon to catch SIGKILL and SIGTERM and immediately set the nvram variable to use the integrated GPU. I'm not a code whiz, so I used the .plist and shell scripts published by freedev over on GitHub: https://github.com/freedev/macosx-script-boot-shutdown. There was a hitch here: when I'm in terminal, I am able to set the nvram gpu-power-prefs. But I had permissions issues when trying to do it through the LaunchDaemon. So I kludged it by enabling root.

Now my MBP only uses integrated graphics, and I can shutdown, reboot and sleep/wake exactly how I always have. Thank you everyone for the guidance in this thread, and I am glad I can use my MBP without worrying that the dGPU will fry itself on me for a third time.

mcbeej

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
Are there any strategies for dealing with the sleep/wake crashes on HS after using MikeyN's guide?

*** Panic Report ***
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7fa7c498d7): "GPU Panic: mux-regs 2 0 1 0 0 0 severity 3 WS-ready 1 switch-state 0 IG FBs 1 EG FBs 0:0 power-state 6 3D idle HDA idle system-state 1 power-level 20:20 connect-change 0 : UH eHlPH
E0L H(L @ H HH
: GPU is not found. PCI config access fails!!!
\n"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleGraphicsControl/AppleGraphicsControl-3.20.13/src/AppleMuxControl/kext/GPUPanic.cpp:170

(MBP late 2011)

Last edited:

davidtaubmann

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2019
Are there any strategies for dealing with the sleep/wake crashes on HS after using MikeyN's guide?

*** Panic Report ***
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7fa7c498d7): "GPU Panic: mux-regs 2 0 1 0 0 0 severity 3 WS-ready 1 switch-state 0 IG FBs 1 EG FBs 0:0 power-state 6 3D idle HDA idle system-state 1 power-level 20:20 connect-change 0 : UH eHlPH
E0L H(L @ H HH
: GPU is not found. PCI config access fails!!!
\n"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleGraphicsControl/AppleGraphicsControl-3.20.13/src/AppleMuxControl/kext/GPUPanic.cpp:170

(MBP late 2011)

Have you tried the solutions "Close the Lid - Sleep - Waking stated in the last line of the original thread?
One is in Page 43 #1066 , the other one in Page 50 #1243 (haven't tried, the first one worked for me)

I wanted to mention for everyone, I've integrated the whole list of commands that worked for me in one single list in the correct order and including the Sleep problem and all MikeN's steps here so they can stay for eternity (Well, as long as Internet and S.E. SuperUser's section still exist, ha!):

https://superuser.com/a/1477444/501465

I hope it's useful for everyone.

mcbeej

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
Hi David - thanks for the response - yes, I tried the pmset thing in the loginhook (it's in there now), but it didn't change anything for me - the behaviour is still the same - if I sleep the machine by closing the lid, I have about a one in five chance of the machine panicing on wake.

This is High Sierra - with my previous Sierra/Grub/AMDWakeHandler solution, I had no problems at all.

So far, the only more reliable way of sleeping the machine I've found is to sleep the machine from software, and wait for the machine to go into full sleep, and *then* shut the lid. I haven't yet had any panics on wake with this method, though it might be a little early to call it a solution...

nkhoscar

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2019
anyone know what's happen with my macbook pro 2011 8,2
is it a clean harddisk without macos just because i can't install any macos

Attachments

• IMG_1347.JPG
    IMG_1347.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 273

RobioCraft

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2019
Hi, guys. I have a problem - with my late 2011 15” Macbook Pro.
After updates I restarted all the dGPU blocking process, via @MikeyN ’s approach, and now on High Sierra my computer is having an overheat boot loop, and I can no longer boot my pc and access files for the moment.
I am grateful for this forum thread and people dedicating themselves for helping out others in this situation.
I hope there is something I can do to fix this...

EDIT: A day later and I managed to fix the issue.
Shortly about the issue: It was a problem of not being able to get past the gray loading screen (with Apple logo) and the loading bar was blank and after a minute or so the fans went spinning and the system got noticeably hotter, and then it reboots and same process repeats.

I'm gonna list what I did exactly that helped me. - Booting into recovery mode worked as expected but it did not bring any fix.
I went and restarted SMC & NVRAM -> then I pretty much followed @MikeyN 's tutorial -> normal boot still didn't work, but I tried booting in Safe Mode, via holding the shift key at launch, and was surprised that the boot went correctly and was able to log in -> Located the directory of /Extensions and /Extensions-off -> Removed the offending .kext from /Extensions location -> wrote the default write command in terminal for the LoginHook "$ sudo defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh" -> applied and restarted, then everything was back to normal and no boot hangs or overheat loops.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hustler1337

nsgr

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2017
Hi David - thanks for the response - yes, I tried the pmset thing in the loginhook (it's in there now), but it didn't change anything for me - the behaviour is still the same - if I sleep the machine by closing the lid, I have about a one in five chance of the machine panicing on wake.

This is High Sierra - with my previous Sierra/Grub/AMDWakeHandler solution, I had no problems at all.

So far, the only more reliable way of sleeping the machine I've found is to sleep the machine from software, and wait for the machine to go into full sleep, and *then* shut the lid. I haven't yet had any panics on wake with this method, though it might be a little early to call it a solution...

The problem is High Sierra (10.13) AppleMuxControl.kext (version 3.20).

You could try the solutions below.

AppleMuxControl.

This AppleMuxControl.kext (version 3.13) from Sierra 10.12 has not been redesigned by Apple to disrupt the owners of Macbook Pro 2011.

Solution 1 - without GRUB - High Sierra 10.13.6

Sierra 10.12.1 -> AppleMuxControl.kext (version 3.13)

Solution 2 - with GRUB and High Sierra 10.13.6

Sierra 10.12.1 -> AppleMuxControl.kext (version 3.13)

This version of AppleMuxControl.kext (version 3.13) puts back the brightness control slider with GRUB and High Sierra (10.13.6).

suwandy - #180 - High Sierra 10.13 - Sleep and hibernate works

cracklincrotch - #181 - Mojave 10.14.6. Sleep works too!

Last edited:

modgod

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
Hi Guys and Gals,

Macbook pro 2011 15" with horizontal grey lines across entire screen on startup, the device then boots to a blank grey screen.

I followed the 100% working solution at the start of this post using an arch linux live USB.

I could not see the gpu-power-prefs line in efivars so I created it as specified in the guide.

All commands worked except I couldnt unmount at the end of the guide using

"umount /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/"

I rebooted anyway the horizontal lines were gone, the loading bar got halfway I heard fan speed increase then machine rebooted, on reboot loading bar completed and I was presented with the OSX login screen! Success!!

Upon rebooting again the horizontal lines were back and the machine went back to loading a blank grey screen.

I tried going through the process again and removing gpu-power-prefs as the guide specifies but I get operation not permitted despite mounting the EFIVARS folder as with the RW switch.

If the gpu-power-prefs is to be removed why does the guide specify to create it using the following command -

printf "\x07\x00\x00\x00\x01\x00\x00\x00" > /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/gpu-power-prefs-fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9

What am I doing wrong here?

________________________________________________________________________________________

Also tried the simpler way using MacOS only and the following commands -

nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00

nvram boot-args="-v"

reboot

When using this method the machine boots and hangs on "gIOScreenLockState 3"

I also tried moving the AMDRadeon3000 Kext to Extensions-off but this also gave me the screen lock state message above.

modgod

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
I reset everything and went over the 100% working process again, machine wont boot to login screen again. Just hangs on apple logo and loading bar at about 75%

Jester8

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2018
Hey!

My 2011 MBP works great after applying @MikeyN solution for about a year, thanks again for that man! But i have run into problems because of a program which I use and has to run on HighSierra or newer.

What are my options?

1.I'm scared that if I do clean install of HighSierra i wont be able to apply MikeyN solution, i had highsierra before, but i downgraded to el capitan only beacuse of an easier fix. What happens if my screen goes completely black?

2.Should I install another SSD and install new OS on that one, so I case anything goes wrong i still have el capitan?

3.Should i use Catalina?

I've tryed a lot ways to recovery my mbp early 15. This thread helped me a lot, thanks for everyone. All methods worked but not 100%.

Yesterday i've installed catalina using the dosdude patcher on a new ssd. After that, i dont move any kext or made any modification. Its working PERFECTLY. Brightness control, sleep mode. I dont try mojave, was trying on high sierra.

4.Any other options?

THANK YOU!!!

JMVB

macrumors regular
May 16, 2016
I fixed about 5 macs for me, my family and friends and since over a year ago, and zero problems with El Capitan

What is the High Sierra or Mojave essential feature over El Capitan?

The 2011 macbook pro is an OLD laptop, you can't expect a performance as the new macbooks with latest OS.
Keep it old and be happy, like me. My 10 cents.

Reactions: Oleg-Sentia

Jester8

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2018
I fixed about 5 macs for me, my family and friends and since over a year ago, and zero problems with El Capitan

What is the High Sierra or Mojave essential feature over El Capitan?

The 2011 macbook pro is an OLD laptop, you can't expect a performance as the new macbooks with latest OS.
Keep it old and be happy, like me. My 10 cents.

I wouldn't change if i didn't have to. Except for sleep and shutdown function, fix on el capitan works perfect! But i would like to get at least to Highsierra beacuse of work. That is the only reason.

JMVB

macrumors regular
May 16, 2016
I wouldn't change if i didn't have to. Except for sleep and shutdown function, fix on el capitan works perfect! But i would like to get at least to Highsierra beacuse of work. That is the only reason.

Again, What is you High Sierra or Mojave essential feature over El Capitan?

Which app doesn't work in El Captain who in High sierra does?

Jester8

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2018
For me? Nothing, but apperently IT guys at work, want us to run high sierra on our computers. I don't know maybe ther will be app update. I know i will have to bun new computer but i'm hoping to keep this one for about a year :)

Just looking for solution, yours is: don't change if its not broken :) thanks!

Reactions: JMVB

bezzeb

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2018
Good afternoon.
Please tell me, a friend brought me a MacBook PRO 8.2 without a battery( because it was swollen) and with a problem video card (white screen whith stripes)

when trying to boot
<Cmd> + <s> or <Cmd> + <r> + <s> or whith linux usb
i still see the white screen,stripes and fan noise.

Tell me what am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• screen.JPEG
    screen.JPEG
    218.7 KB · Views: 208

cyki

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2018
@nsgr have you tried 2019-005 10.13.6? each day I am having bigger problem to resist the temptation to update for the risk of not booting anymore if Apple might decided to cut us out from these fixes.

dr3apap

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2019
If you don't have time to read my story (which also describes some interesting technical approaches) just scroll down this thread until a "100% WORKING SOLUTION" text

Discrete AMD GPU of my 2011 MacBook Pro 8,2 has finally failed because of the reasons mentioned here ( http://logicboardmac.blogspot.ru/ ) and there ( https://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/19/2011-macbook-pro-repair-program-apple/ ) . It has been working perfectly for 6 years under quite a high load, even tried SETI@HOME mining at background! So I was confident that my MBP is not affected by bad solder / bad soldering quality and didn't want to bring it to Apple for a free repair program - partially because couldn't find the time to pause my important software projects, partially because I was afraid that Apple might give me a less reliable logic board or refuse a free repair because of the several unrelated repairs that I did manually by myself earlier to save money: changed thermal paste a few times, replaced the internal battery 2 times, replaced a keyboard with broken buttons, etc. But it finally broke down last week: laptop's screen image became distorted, it refused to boot OS X (always freezing half-way), and - Apple free repair program has already ended! I know there are affordable solutions like $50 BGA resoldering at unofficial local repair shop and that its possible to get a new replacement HD 6750M chip from AliExpress for $35 or cheaper ( http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-2...0028-216-0810028-BGA-Chipset/32764872143.html or https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-2015-New-216-0810001-216-0810001-Graphic-Chipset/32718112928.html , because don't know if this is true - https://www.rossmanngroup.com/board...0604-replace-216-0810005-gpu-with-216-0810028 ) to guarantee a successful repair, so the total price of repair would be either $50 or $50+$35=$85 - less than $100 in any case. But I don't like investing money to the old computers, so I have thought - what if there is some hack to force MBP to use integrated graphics ALL THE TIME, even while booting ? And then started to explore the possible solutions...

===

First of all, it is possible to successfully boot a MBP to OS X while still using the failed GPU, after you remove the AMD drivers by booting in command line mode (CMD+S) and entering these commands:
1) fsck -fy (to check a disk)
2) mount -uw / (mount a root filesystem with read/write permissions)
3) sudo mkdir /AMD_Kexts/ (make a directory to store the AMD drivers in case you'll need them in future)
4) sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AMD*.* /AMD_Kexts/ (move the AMD drivers)
5) sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/ (remove the AMD drivers cache)
6) sudo mkdir /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/ (just in case OS X will be dumb and will not recreate this directory, I am creating it for OS X)
7) sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/ (to update the timestamps so that new driver caches - without AMD drivers - will be definitely rebuilt)
8) sudo umount / (umount a partition to guarantee that your changes are flushed to it)
9) sudo reboot

The degree of your inconvenience while doing these steps - strongly depends on how heavily a screen's image is distorted in your case. In my case it was even more difficult because the OS X partition became a "read-only" partition (because of too many emergency shutdowns I did while desperately trying to boot OS X with a failed GPU) so I had to remove a hard drive from MacBook Pro and (using a USB to SATA 2.5" adapter taken from my portable HDD) attached it to a computer with Linux, then followed these instructions:

https://superuser.com/questions/961401/mounting-hfs-partition-on-arch-linux (1st answer) - carefully executed a number of commands, calculated a sizelimit for my parition layout, and finally ran sudo mount -t hfsplus -o force,rw,sizelimit=YOURNUMBER /dev/sdb2 /mnt to mount this HFS+ partition to /mnt directory in read-write mode. Then I performed these "1)-7)" steps you see above, and also repaired a filesystem by running sudo fsck.hfsplus -f /dev/sdb2 before unmounting a partition with sudo umount /mnt and putting a hard drive back to MBP...

===

This gave me a MBP which could boot to OS X although STILL using a broken AMD GPU: so it screen's image is very distorted (could browse the Internet but quite inconvenient to read a text), Launchpad is super laggy, and you can't switch to Integrated GPU using gfxCardStatus because: without AMD drivers (which we had to remove to successfully boot to OS X) Macbook Pro thinks its' internal screen is External Display and gfxCardStatus tells it is impossible to switch because External Display is using AMD GPU. Somewhere I found a suggestion that it is possible to rebuild a gfxCardStatus from the source code - https://github.com/codykrieger/gfxCardStatus - with removed or commented out 156-166 lines in the ./gfxCardStatus/Classes/GSProcess.m to make it to ignore the external display:

// find out if an external monitor is forcing the discrete gpu on
CGDirectDisplayID displays[8];
CGDisplayCount displayCount = 0;
if (CGGetOnlineDisplayList(8, displays, &displayCount) == noErr) {
for (int i = 0; i < displayCount; i++) {
if ( ! CGDisplayIsBuiltin(displays))
[list addObject:[NSDictionary dictionaryWithObjectsAndKeys:
Str(@"External Display"), kTaskItemName,
@"", kTaskItemPID, nil]];
}
}

So I rebuilt a gfxCardStatus using the instructions from the last reply of this issue -
https://github.com/codykrieger/gfxCardStatus/issues/229
(also had to download a MacOSX10.11.sdk from here - https://github.com/phracker/MacOSX-SDKs/releases - unpack and copy it to XCode's /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk - because of the Apple's stupidity the latest XCode for El Capitan does not include SDK for El Capitan!) However, it still didn't work - gfxCardStatus only pretended that it has switched to Integrated GPU, while in reality OS X did not let it switch! Even after I edited ./gfxCardStatus/Classes/GSGPU.m file to enable the mysterious "Nuke it from orbit switching" option, it still couldn't switch...

===

Then I discovered this interesting repository - https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch - which is partially similar by its' source code to gfxCardStatus but also has the "Login Hooks" (install_hooks.sh) to "automate the switching process for login/logout". Sadly it didn't work for me... However, there is a very interesting gpu-switch text file right at the root of this repository, which describes the EFI variables!

https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch/blob/master/gpu-switch

After studying it and also reading this issue's comments - https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch/issues/11 - I became confident to try this solution, but found out that my MacBook Pro 2011 8,2 with OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 is in a VERY problematic situation:

1)
rEFInd is not installed, and to install it - must disable SIP protection. But I cannot boot to Recovery mode (Command+Option+R) or to OS X Installation DVD/USB (hold Option), (to disable SIP), because they freeze while booting! - although I removed AMD kexts from my system, of course these recovery tools are using AMD kexts integrated to their design. Also cannot use Rootfool hack ( https://github.com/gdbinit/rootfool ) to disable SIP during runtime, because it works only at OS X version older than 10.11.4

2) Tried overheating my Macbook Pro on purpose (forcing CPU usage to 100% and putting it to a tightly closed bag) to force it to shutdown from overheating and then quickly reboot so that Integrated graphics will be enabled during the boot time - making it possible to boot to Recovery. But because of the wonderful high end thermal paste I have applied not so long ago - cannot overheat it even after waiting for a long time! At this point I thought that could either: a) remove AMD kexts from Installation media, or b) to connect MBP's hard drive to a Linux machine again and run a bunch of chmods to remove the SIP flags from the directories mentioned here ( http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/193368/what-is-the-rootless-feature-in-el-capitan-really ) which could potentially make a system unbootable, or c) to try installing rEFInd to HFS+ partition directly from a Linux machine with root rights because it will bypass SIP --- but have not explored these options, although some of them might have worked...

3) Wanted to boot a Linux LiveCD to edit the EFI variables from there, but no matter what I did: tried booting straight without GRUB option modifications, tried editing GRUB boot options (with "e" key) to add nomodeset / remove quiet splash / or both in every combination , or like suggested in this article ( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBookPro8,1/8,2/8,3_(2011) ) also add i915.modeset=0 radeon.modeset=0 or radeon.modeset=0 i915.modeset=1 i915.lvds_channel_mode=2 ; and then pressed Fn+F10 or Shift+Ctrl+Fn+F10 to boot with these options: but the Linux boot process always failed at different boot stages, no matter what popular user-friendly Linux distribution or what version of it I am trying: tried many releases of Ubuntu / Lubuntu / Fedora , even the old "AMD64 Mac" and "Alternate AMD64 Mac" images, but they always failed - either at the very beginning of boot process (black screen, or a black screen with a blinking or stuck _ character at the left upper corner) or failed at the very end of it - right before it is supposed to show a graphical desktop environment...

Later, totoe_84 wrote that he was able to boot Ubuntu in graphical mode using the following setup for GRUB:
  • To disable the AMD graphics card I added the following lines after set gfxpayload=keep
outb 0x728 1
outb 0x710 2
outb 0x740 2
outb 0x750 0

• Next I added the following after quiet splash
    i915.lvds_channel_mode=2 i915.modeset=1 i915.lvds_use_ssc=0
(based on https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2157775 )

===

Then I remembered that there are not-mainstream Linux distributions for advanced users, which have a LiveCD without any graphical interface: you are dropped to a pure console and you are supposed to install the system along with only those graphical interfaces and software packages / groups of packages which you explicitly select. For example: Arch Linux (https://www.archlinux.org/) and Gentoo Linux (https://gentoo.org/) . Because their LiveCD does not have a graphical interface, they could be booted without a problem to a pure Linux console and there you could edit the EFI variables ! So here is a...

===
=== 100% WORKING SOLUTION
===
=== Force your MBP to ALWAYS use Intel integrated GPU (EFI variable fix)
===
=== to make it great again ! ;)
===

1) Create the Arch Linux LiveCD/LiveUSB :

You need a working computer for that and a spare CD/DVD/USB drive. After downloading archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso (see the links below) you have to check the integrity of the .ISO file to see if it is not corrupted (avoid I/O error, printf: not found, chattr: not found, etc). After checking the integrity of archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso and everything is OK, then you can generate an ArchLinux boot disk.

archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso

MD5:
1d25235e7cebe45f93452fbc05a0fb66 archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso

SHA1
f426866ca632a35a3eeae8e4080cff25ec8da614 archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso

Official website ArchLinux (only Torrent) - See MD5 and SHA1 hash numbers:

https://www.archlinux.org/releng/releases/2017.03.01/

The MD5 and SHA1 of the official ArchLinux website are the same as the mirrors Virtapi.org and Belnet.be. The archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso on Virtapi.org and Belnet.be are legitimate.

Virtapi.org:

http://archive.virtapi.org/iso/2017.03.01/

http://archive.virtapi.org/iso/2017.03.01/archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso

http://archive.virtapi.org/iso/2017.03.01/md5sums.txt

http://archive.virtapi.org/iso/2017.03.01/sha1sums.txt

Belnet:

http://ftp.belnet.be/pub/archlinux.org/iso/2017.03.01/

http://ftp.belnet.be/pub/archlinux.org/iso/2017.03.01/archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso

http://ftp.belnet.be/pub/archlinux.org/iso/2017.03.01/md5sums.txt

http://ftp.belnet.be/pub/archlinux.org/iso/2017.03.01/sha1sums.txt

Check for archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso integrity (Mac OS):

Boot in Safe Mode (press SHIFT key at boot) -> no freeze Mac OS -> El Capitan or Sierra.

HighSierra maybe freeze at boot time (Safe Mode). There were changes in the HighSierra in relation to the AMD kexts loaded during the Safe Mode. More tests are needed.

File downloaded -> /Users/Your_User/Downloads/archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso

Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal:

MD5:
Code:
cd Downloads/

md5 archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso
MD5 (archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso) = 1d25235e7cebe45f93452fbc05a0fb66

SHA1:
Code:
cd Downloads/

shasum archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso
f426866ca632a35a3eeae8e4080cff25ec8da614  archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso

Or try the simplest way - No needed ArchLinux - Only MacOS:

1 - Boot Single User (press Command + S) at boot (If you have MacOS installed on your hard drive).

2 - If you have a blank HD, then use the USB stick/Pendrive with the MacOS installer (El Capitan, Sierra or HighSierra).

2.1 - Press Option key at boot, Position the mouse on the MacOS installer icon.

2.2 - Press Command + S and keep holding these two keys.

2.3 - Click the MacOS installer icon -> continue holding the Command + S keys until you finish the MacOS installer Single User boot .

Enter these commands (change gpu-power-prefs to Intel GPU and boot verbose):

Code:

nvram boot-args="-v"

reboot

If you've chosen the Arch Linux route, please continue reading:

Then you could either simply burn this ISO to CD/DVD (which later could be either inserted to MBP's SuperDrive or External DVD Drive connected to MBP by two USB cables) or create a bootable USB: use the great detailed instructions from this page, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_flash_installation_media

2) Boot to it: insert this CD/DVD/USB to Macbook Pro, hold Option key while booting, choose "EFI boot" (that is your bootable installation media), press "e" key to edit the GRUB options of the Arch Linux archiso x86_64 UEFI CD menu entry while it is selected at the main screen, add nomodeset to the end of this line and press Enter. If everything is done correctly, you will find yourself at the Linux console!

3) Edit EFI vars: looks like efivarfs filesystem is mounted by default! So you can already cd /sys/firmware/efi/efivars and ls to explore this directory and see if there is a "gpu-power-prefs-..." variable (where ... is UUID of this variable). If there is such a variable, its better to remove it with rm. In my case the efivarfs has been mounted by default with read/write permissions, but if you are getting the "operation not permitted" message while attempting to rm, it means that in your case efivarfs has been mounted as read-only and you need to remount it with read-write permissions and try again (credits to totoe_84 for this valuable addition) :
*) cd /
*) umount /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/
*) mount -t efivarfs rw /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/
*) cd /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/

If your screen is so distorted that it is difficult to see the letters, just start typing the rm gpu-power-pre and then press TAB key for autocompletion. In my case there were not such a EFI variable, only "gpu-active-..." and maybe somehow related "gfx-saved-config-restore-status-..." . Then I looked again at that gpu-switch text file (mentioned above, https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch/blob/master/gpu-switch),
and entered THESE COMMANDS:

*)
chattr -i "/sys/firmware/efi/efivars/" <----- skip this command

Actually a gpu-switch script had "${sysfs_efi_vars}/${efi_gpu}" but I didnt have a "gpu-power-prefs-..." variable - so, partially by mistake, I didn't add that efi_gpu suffix and entered this incomplete path accidentally

*) printf "\x07\x00\x00\x00\x01\x00\x00\x00" > /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/gpu-power-prefs-fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9

Did not have a EFI "gpu-power-prefs-" variable so I thought that it will be OK to create a new one with a random UUID - in this case, taken directly from a gpu-switch script

*) chattr +i "/sys/firmware/efi/efivars/gpu-power-prefs-fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9"

http://www.tecmint.com/chattr-command-examples/ - chattr (Change Attribute) is a command line Linux utility that is used to set/unset certain attributes to a file in Linux system to secure accidental deletion or modification of important files and folders, even though you are logged in as a root user.
Syntax of chattr ---> chattr [operator] [flags] [filename]
A file is set with ‘i‘ attribute (+i as you see in this command) ---> cannot be modified (immutable). Means no renaming, no symbolic link creation, no execution, no writable, only superuser can unset the attribute.
Operator
  1. + : Adds the attribute to the existing attribute of the files.
  2. : Removes the attribute to the existing attribute of the files.
  3. = : Keep the existing attributes that the files have.
This chattr command is supposed to lock a file to make it accessible only by "superuser" - and so that, while booting, your EFI will have no chance to screw up your gpu-power-prefs-... variable under any circumstances

*) cd /

Could not unmount efivars if you are inside this directory, so change to the root directory

Guarantees that your EFI variables are flushed to efivarfs filesystem, please unmount it safely before rebooting)

*) reboot

===> IF YOU DID EVERYTHING CORRECTLY, MOST LIKELY THAT YOUR MACBOOK PRO IS NOW USING INTEGRATED GRAPHICS WHILE BOOTING, AFTER BOOTING, AND IS WORKING GREAT AGAIN ! ;)

In the future maybe you could need to re-apply this solution if you would have to reset your PRAM / NVRAM / SMC because of some other problems, so remember this solution somewhere... Funny thing: now you can't switch to Discrete GPU even using gfxCardStatus, it is forever stuck at Integrated

I spent two working days to discover this solution, and really hope that it will work flawlessly for every MBP owner with a broken discrete GPU. Good luck!

=== NEWS ! YOU COULD ALSO FOLLOW THESE GUIDES FOR THE EXTRA IMPROVEMENTS : ===

Follow the MikeyN Guide - page 35 - #875 - to move the AMDRadeonX3000.kext from the /System/Library/Extensions directory and do not freeze Macbook Pro (at 75% progress bar or "IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3" message).

Rename old AMDRadeonX3000.kext and move new AMDRadeonX3000.kext after update - Page 57 - #1425

Shutdown or Restart Macbook Pro - avoid black screen freeze - Update 2 - Page 57 - #1425

Close the Lid - Sleep - Waking - Page 43 #1066 - Page 50 #1243

I’m having a similar problem the only difference is that I can’t find the directory where the AMDRadeonX300.kext is. I have done this couple of time the first time the directory was created and moved to /System/Library/Extensions-off. Now my system is stuck on the kernel page it won’t load or boot of it. I can get to recovery mode and Single user with the Command+S and command+R but it’s always stuck on the kernel page during the second boot with this error messages. Anybody that can help or put me through pls.

Attachments

• 370F7466-FBA8-4025-B714-A6EBD3C6E86B.jpeg
    370F7466-FBA8-4025-B714-A6EBD3C6E86B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 238
  • DB39B2BF-6BAA-436A-9688-4B53F1241E3B.jpeg
    DB39B2BF-6BAA-436A-9688-4B53F1241E3B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 183
  • A1AB4896-A420-4022-8FED-7149DA01AF86.jpeg
    A1AB4896-A420-4022-8FED-7149DA01AF86.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 187
  • E1CCF21F-371A-4579-90AC-CB9052B1B936.jpeg
    E1CCF21F-371A-4579-90AC-CB9052B1B936.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 184
  • D9A4F46F-4657-4067-8EB1-9ADECF2C399D.jpeg
    D9A4F46F-4657-4067-8EB1-9ADECF2C399D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 199
  • 50BC44B3-6159-412B-8E7C-786AD16B6996.jpeg
    50BC44B3-6159-412B-8E7C-786AD16B6996.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 181
  • 05AEA03A-5897-4C3F-945E-F7999FD5061A.jpeg
    05AEA03A-5897-4C3F-945E-F7999FD5061A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 216

smurray0155

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2019
If you don't have time to read my story (which also describes some interesting technical approaches) just scroll down this thread until a "100% WORKING SOLUTION" text

Discrete AMD GPU of my 2011 MacBook Pro 8,2 has finally failed because of the reasons mentioned here ( http://logicboardmac.blogspot.ru/ ) and there ( https://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/19/2011-macbook-pro-repair-program-apple/ ) . It has been working perfectly for 6 years under quite a high load, even tried SETI@HOME mining at background! So I was confident that my MBP is not affected by bad solder / bad soldering quality and didn't want to bring it to Apple for a free repair program - partially because couldn't find the time to pause my important software projects, partially because I was afraid that Apple might give me a less reliable logic board or refuse a free repair because of the several unrelated repairs that I did manually by myself earlier to save money: changed thermal paste a few times, replaced the internal battery 2 times, replaced a keyboard with broken buttons, etc. But it finally broke down last week: laptop's screen image became distorted, it refused to boot OS X (always freezing half-way), and - Apple free repair program has already ended! I know there are affordable solutions like $50 BGA resoldering at unofficial local repair shop and that its possible to get a new replacement HD 6750M chip from AliExpress for $35 or cheaper ( http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-2...0028-216-0810028-BGA-Chipset/32764872143.html or https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-2015-New-216-0810001-216-0810001-Graphic-Chipset/32718112928.html , because don't know if this is true - https://www.rossmanngroup.com/board...0604-replace-216-0810005-gpu-with-216-0810028 ) to guarantee a successful repair, so the total price of repair would be either $50 or $50+$35=$85 - less than $100 in any case. But I don't like investing money to the old computers, so I have thought - what if there is some hack to force MBP to use integrated graphics ALL THE TIME, even while booting ? And then started to explore the possible solutions...

===

First of all, it is possible to successfully boot a MBP to OS X while still using the failed GPU, after you remove the AMD drivers by booting in command line mode (CMD+S) and entering these commands:
3) sudo mkdir /AMD_Kexts/ (make a directory to store the AMD drivers in case you'll need them in future)
5) sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/ (remove the AMD drivers cache)
6) sudo mkdir /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/ (just in case OS X will be dumb and will not recreate this directory, I am creating it for OS X)
7) sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/ (to update the timestamps so that new driver caches - without AMD drivers - will be definitely rebuilt)
8) sudo umount / (umount a partition to guarantee that your changes are flushed to it)
9) sudo reboot

The degree of your inconvenience while doing these steps - strongly depends on how heavily a screen's image is distorted in your case. In my case it was even more difficult because the OS X partition became a "read-only" partition (because of too many emergency shutdowns I did while desperately trying to boot OS X with a failed GPU) so I had to remove a hard drive from MacBook Pro and (using a USB to SATA 2.5" adapter taken from my portable HDD) attached it to a computer with Linux, then followed these instructions:

https://superuser.com/questions/961401/mounting-hfs-partition-on-arch-linux (1st answer) - carefully executed a number of commands, calculated a sizelimit for my parition layout, and finally ran sudo mount -t hfsplus -o force,rw,sizelimit=YOURNUMBER /dev/sdb2 /mnt to mount this HFS+ partition to /mnt directory in read-write mode. Then I performed these "1)-7)" steps you see above, and also repaired a filesystem by running sudo fsck.hfsplus -f /dev/sdb2 before unmounting a partition with sudo umount /mnt and putting a hard drive back to MBP...

===

This gave me a MBP which could boot to OS X although STILL using a broken AMD GPU: so it screen's image is very distorted (could browse the Internet but quite inconvenient to read a text), Launchpad is super laggy, and you can't switch to Integrated GPU using gfxCardStatus because: without AMD drivers (which we had to remove to successfully boot to OS X) Macbook Pro thinks its' internal screen is External Display and gfxCardStatus tells it is impossible to switch because External Display is using AMD GPU. Somewhere I found a suggestion that it is possible to rebuild a gfxCardStatus from the source code - https://github.com/codykrieger/gfxCardStatus - with removed or commented out 156-166 lines in the ./gfxCardStatus/Classes/GSProcess.m to make it to ignore the external display:

}
}

So I rebuilt a gfxCardStatus using the instructions from the last reply of this issue -
(also had to download a MacOSX10.11.sdk from here - https://github.com/phracker/MacOSX-SDKs/releases - unpack and copy it to XCode's /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk - because of the Apple's stupidity the latest XCode for El Capitan does not include SDK for El Capitan!) However, it still didn't work - gfxCardStatus only pretended that it has switched to Integrated GPU, while in reality OS X did not let it switch! Even after I edited ./gfxCardStatus/Classes/GSGPU.m file to enable the mysterious "Nuke it from orbit switching" option, it still couldn't switch...

===

Then I discovered this interesting repository - https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch - which is partially similar by its' source code to gfxCardStatus but also has the "Login Hooks" (install_hooks.sh) to "automate the switching process for login/logout". Sadly it didn't work for me... However, there is a very interesting gpu-switch text file right at the root of this repository, which describes the EFI variables!

After studying it and also reading this issue's comments - https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch/issues/11 - I became confident to try this solution, but found out that my MacBook Pro 2011 8,2 with OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 is in a VERY problematic situation:

1)
rEFInd is not installed, and to install it - must disable SIP protection. But I cannot boot to Recovery mode (Command+Option+R) or to OS X Installation DVD/USB (hold Option), (to disable SIP), because they freeze while booting! - although I removed AMD kexts from my system, of course these recovery tools are using AMD kexts integrated to their design. Also cannot use Rootfool hack ( https://github.com/gdbinit/rootfool ) to disable SIP during runtime, because it works only at OS X version older than 10.11.4

2) Tried overheating my Macbook Pro on purpose (forcing CPU usage to 100% and putting it to a tightly closed bag) to force it to shutdown from overheating and then quickly reboot so that Integrated graphics will be enabled during the boot time - making it possible to boot to Recovery. But because of the wonderful high end thermal paste I have applied not so long ago - cannot overheat it even after waiting for a long time! At this point I thought that could either: a) remove AMD kexts from Installation media, or b) to connect MBP's hard drive to a Linux machine again and run a bunch of chmods to remove the SIP flags from the directories mentioned here ( http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/193368/what-is-the-rootless-feature-in-el-capitan-really ) which could potentially make a system unbootable, or c) to try installing rEFInd to HFS+ partition directly from a Linux machine with root rights because it will bypass SIP --- but have not explored these options, although some of them might have worked...

3) Wanted to boot a Linux LiveCD to edit the EFI variables from there, but no matter what I did: tried booting straight without GRUB option modifications, tried editing GRUB boot options (with "e" key) to add nomodeset / remove quiet splash / or both in every combination , or like suggested in this article ( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBookPro8,1/8,2/8,3_(2011) ) also add i915.modeset=0 radeon.modeset=0 or radeon.modeset=0 i915.modeset=1 i915.lvds_channel_mode=2 ; and then pressed Fn+F10 or Shift+Ctrl+Fn+F10 to boot with these options: but the Linux boot process always failed at different boot stages, no matter what popular user-friendly Linux distribution or what version of it I am trying: tried many releases of Ubuntu / Lubuntu / Fedora , even the old "AMD64 Mac" and "Alternate AMD64 Mac" images, but they always failed - either at the very beginning of boot process (black screen, or a black screen with a blinking or stuck _ character at the left upper corner) or failed at the very end of it - right before it is supposed to show a graphical desktop environment...

Later, totoe_84 wrote that he was able to boot Ubuntu in graphical mode using the following setup for GRUB:
  • To disable the AMD graphics card I added the following lines after set gfxpayload=keep
outb 0x728 1
outb 0x710 2
outb 0x740 2
outb 0x750 0

===

Then I remembered that there are not-mainstream Linux distributions for advanced users, which have a LiveCD without any graphical interface: you are dropped to a pure console and you are supposed to install the system along with only those graphical interfaces and software packages / groups of packages which you explicitly select. For example: Arch Linux (https://www.archlinux.org/) and Gentoo Linux (https://gentoo.org/) . Because their LiveCD does not have a graphical interface, they could be booted without a problem to a pure Linux console and there you could edit the EFI variables ! So here is a...

===
===
===
===

You need a working computer for that and a spare CD/DVD/USB drive. After downloading archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso (see the links below) you have to check the integrity of the .ISO file to see if it is not corrupted (avoid I/O error, printf: not found, chattr: not found, etc). After checking the integrity of archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso and everything is OK, then you can generate an ArchLinux boot disk.

MD5:

SHA1

The MD5 and SHA1 of the official ArchLinux website are the same as the mirrors Virtapi.org and Belnet.be. The archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso on Virtapi.org and Belnet.be are legitimate.

Virtapi.org:

Belnet:

http://ftp.belnet.be/pub/archlinux.org/iso/2017.03.01/archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso

Boot in Safe Mode (press SHIFT key at boot) -> no freeze Mac OS -> El Capitan or Sierra.

HighSierra maybe freeze at boot time (Safe Mode). There were changes in the HighSierra in relation to the AMD kexts loaded during the Safe Mode. More tests are needed.

MD5:
Code:
cd Downloads/

SHA1:
Code:
cd Downloads/

1 - Boot Single User (press Command + S) at boot (If you have MacOS installed on your hard drive).

2 - If you have a blank HD, then use the USB stick/Pendrive with the MacOS installer (El Capitan, Sierra or HighSierra).

2.3 - Click the MacOS installer icon -> continue holding the Command + S keys until you finish the MacOS installer Single User boot .

Code:

nvram boot-args="-v"

reboot

Then you could either simply burn this ISO to CD/DVD (which later could be either inserted to MBP's SuperDrive or External DVD Drive connected to MBP by two USB cables) or create a bootable USB: use the great detailed instructions from this page, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_flash_installation_media

2) Boot to it: insert this CD/DVD/USB to Macbook Pro, hold Option key while booting, choose "EFI boot" (that is your bootable installation media), press "e" key to edit the GRUB options of the Arch Linux archiso x86_64 UEFI CD menu entry while it is selected at the main screen, add nomodeset to the end of this line and press Enter. If everything is done correctly, you will find yourself at the Linux console!

3) Edit EFI vars: looks like efivarfs filesystem is mounted by default! So you can already cd /sys/firmware/efi/efivars and ls to explore this directory and see if there is a "gpu-power-prefs-..." variable (where ... is UUID of this variable). If there is such a variable, its better to remove it with rm. In my case the efivarfs has been mounted by default with read/write permissions, but if you are getting the "operation not permitted" message while attempting to rm, it means that in your case efivarfs has been mounted as read-only and you need to remount it with read-write permissions and try again (credits to totoe_84 for this valuable addition) :
*) cd /

If your screen is so distorted that it is difficult to see the letters, just start typing the rm gpu-power-pre and then press TAB key for autocompletion. In my case there were not such a EFI variable, only "gpu-active-..." and maybe somehow related "gfx-saved-config-restore-status-..." . Then I looked again at that gpu-switch text file (mentioned above, https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch/blob/master/gpu-switch),

*)

Actually a gpu-switch script had "${sysfs_efi_vars}/${efi_gpu}" but I didnt have a "gpu-power-prefs-..." variable - so, partially by mistake, I didn't add that efi_gpu suffix and entered this incomplete path accidentally

*) printf "\x07\x00\x00\x00\x01\x00\x00\x00" > /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/gpu-power-prefs-fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9

Did not have a EFI "gpu-power-prefs-" variable so I thought that it will be OK to create a new one with a random UUID - in this case, taken directly from a gpu-switch script

*) chattr +i "/sys/firmware/efi/efivars/gpu-power-prefs-fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9"

http://www.tecmint.com/chattr-command-examples/ - chattr (Change Attribute) is a command line Linux utility that is used to set/unset certain attributes to a file in Linux system to secure accidental deletion or modification of important files and folders, even though you are logged in as a root user.
A file is set with ‘i‘ attribute (+i as you see in this command) ---> cannot be modified (immutable). Means no renaming, no symbolic link creation, no execution, no writable, only superuser can unset the attribute.
Operator
This chattr command is supposed to lock a file to make it accessible only by "superuser" - and so that, while booting, your EFI will have no chance to screw up your gpu-power-prefs-... variable under any circumstances

*) cd /

Could not unmount efivars if you are inside this directory, so change to the root directory

Guarantees that your EFI variables are flushed to efivarfs filesystem, please unmount it safely before rebooting)

*) reboot

===> IF YOU DID EVERYTHING CORRECTLY, MOST LIKELY THAT YOUR MACBOOK PRO IS NOW USING INTEGRATED GRAPHICS WHILE BOOTING, AFTER BOOTING, AND IS WORKING GREAT AGAIN ! ;)

In the future maybe you could need to re-apply this solution if you would have to reset your PRAM / NVRAM / SMC because of some other problems, so remember this solution somewhere... Funny thing: now you can't switch to Discrete GPU even using gfxCardStatus, it is forever stuck at Integrated

I spent two working days to discover this solution, and really hope that it will work flawlessly for every MBP owner with a broken discrete GPU. Good luck!

Follow the MikeyN Guide - page 35 - #875 - to move the AMDRadeonX3000.kext from the /System/Library/Extensions directory and do not freeze Macbook Pro (at 75% progress bar or "IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3" message).

Rename old AMDRadeonX3000.kext and move new AMDRadeonX3000.kext after update - Page 57 - #1425

Shutdown or Restart Macbook Pro - avoid black screen freeze - Update 2 - Page 57 - #1425

===

9) sudo reboot

===

}
}

===

1)

outb 0x728 1
outb 0x710 2
outb 0x740 2
outb 0x750 0

===

===
===
===
===

MD5:

SHA1

Virtapi.org:

Belnet:

MD5:
Code:
cd Downloads/

SHA1:
Code:
cd Downloads/

Code:

nvram boot-args="-v"

reboot

*) cd /

*)

Operator

*) cd /

*) reboot

THIS WORKS !!!! i LOOKED FOR SO SO SO LONG - AND THIS IS THE ONLY WAY THAT MADE MAC WORK PERFECTLY I HOPE YOU KNOW HOW THANKFUL I AM - AND IF YOUR READING THIS AND THINKING ABOUT TRYING THIS SOLUTION DO IT

APPLEMACFINDER - YOUR THE MAN AND HAVE MY SUPPORT- THANK YOU

Reactions: AppleMacFinder

lrkr_mr

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2019
Which app doesn't work in El Captain who in High sierra does?

I can't speak for the original poster (Jester8) but some apps (especially Apple's own software) always quickly raise the minimum required OS version to the recent releases. Examples:
  • Apple Xcode 10.1 requires 10.13.6 High Sierra.
  • Apple Xcode 11 requires 10.14.4 Mojave (which means this version is incompatible with Macbook Pro 2011 without a patch hack)
  • Apple Logic X 10.4.0 requires 10.12 Sierra
  • Apple Logic X 10.4.5 requires 10.13 High Sierra
  • Adobe Creative Cloud apps as of 2018 (Photoshop, etc) require 10.12 Sierra
  • MS Office 2019 is officially supported on last 3 versions of macOS which means 10.12,10.13,10.14
On the other hand, some new software like Quicken 2019 can still run on 10.11 El Capitan. Some open source tools can run on very old versions. E.g. The latest Vim released in July 2019 can run on 10.8 Mountain Lion.

In general, the Apple ecosystem really doesn't let you stay with old macOS versions for more than 3 years. (E.g. 10.11 El Capitan released 2015 that's now 4 years-old has already fallen off the minimum required version for most mainstream application software.) This quick upgrade cycle also has a downstream effect on Apple hardware such that old Macbooks, iMacs, and Mac Pros lose the ability to upgrade to the latest macOS after about 6 years.

(In contrast, with MS Windows, a user could conceivably stay on Windows XP (released 2001) for 10+ years. E.g. Quicken 2014 was supported on Windows XP. Today's new software in 2019 also still runs on Windows 7 (released 2009) so that's another 10+ years.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jester8

nsgr

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2017
@nsgr have you tried 2019-005 10.13.6? each day I am having bigger problem to resist the temptation to update for the risk of not booting anymore if Apple might decided to cut us out from these fixes.

I did Update 2019-005 and so far everything is working.

High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G8037).

Follow this guide - #2,470 - page 99

Download Security Update 2019-005 (High Sierra)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.