Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenjutsu

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
Hello everyone

My MacBookPro details:
  • Model Name: MacBook Pro (MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011))
  • Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
  • Boot ROM Version: 87.0.0.0.0
  • SMC Version (system): 1.69f4
  • macOS: High Sierra (10.13.6 (17G9016)))
It started showing the same symptoms as described in this threat. Seeing that this thread is now on 108 pages, can I simply follow the steps in post #1 under "100% WORKING SOLUTION" given my specs above, or are there other posts I must also follow?

Thank you!!:) 👍

aroom

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2014
Hello everyone

My MacBookPro details:
  • Model Name: MacBook Pro (MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011))
  • Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
  • Boot ROM Version: 87.0.0.0.0
  • SMC Version (system): 1.69f4
  • macOS: High Sierra (10.13.6 (17G9016)))
It started showing the same symptoms as described in this threat. Seeing that this thread is now on 108 pages, can I simply follow the steps in post #1 under "100% WORKING SOLUTION" given my specs above, or are there other posts I must also follow?

Thank you!!:) 👍

follow this guide: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/267581/gpu-problem-boot-hangs-on-grey-screen/295805#295805

Reactions: Kenjutsu

georgemvg

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
On a macbook 15” with failed gpu, I used the nvram command without the rest of the steps. I then reseted smc for another reason, and the mod was lost. So I did again, this time doing all the steps. After applying the dosdude patch, the mod was again lost. Crsutils was disabled successfully. Am I doing anything wrong?

CodeBlu

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2018
I have a question regarding kext placement. When following an older guide using archlinux it said to remove all the AMD kexts from the Extensions folders, but now I have read that only the AMDRadeonX3000 kext should be removed and everything else should stay in Extensions. Loading the X3000 kext after boot in terminal dropped the GPU a couple of degrees, so would placing the all the AMD kexts excluding X3000 back into Extensions help even more with power management? Can I just drag and drop the kexts back into Extensions using Finder or do I need to use Terminal for this? Thanks for the help.

uMBP17"

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2017
Hi guys!

I did the simple solution way iaw dosdude1's http://dosdude1.com/gpudisable/ recommendation.
but I can't get it to work on my late 2011 17" MBP.

After trying to do the mod I now seem to have he dGPU on at all time - both CPU and dGPU are getting very hot (60-70deg C) doing nothing special. Before the mod I usually was hoovering around 40-45deg C on the CPU and the dGPU was way below that.

Im currently running dosdude1's Catalina patcher. Could it have something to do with it?
Oh, and btw, csrutil is disabled and I have ran dosdude1's dGPU disabler program after entering the command in the single user mode prompt and rebooted again.

I even tried to Reset the SMC and pram and do the procedure once again, but same results.
After doing it a second time I had really laggy graphics due to the dGPU not being supported in Catalina, but after running dosdude1's dGPU disable program it went back to normal again, but still with the high temp present..

Forgive me for any bad grammar, but English it not my native language.. (;

Edit, I have now reinstalled Catalina on another SSD but the problem remains..
Is there anyway to revert the dosdude1's mod?

Last edited:

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Hi guys!

I did the simple solution way iaw dosdude1's http://dosdude1.com/gpudisable/ recommendation.
but I can't get it to work on my late 2011 17" MBP.

After trying to do the mod I now seem to have he dGPU on at all time - both CPU and dGPU are getting very hot (60-70deg C) doing nothing special. Before the mod I usually was hoovering around 40-45deg C on the CPU and the dGPU was way below that.

Im currently running dosdude1's Catalina patcher. Could it have something to do with it?
Oh, and btw, csrutil is disabled and I have ran dosdude1's dGPU disabler program after entering the command in the single user mode prompt and rebooted again.

I even tried to Reset the SMC and pram and do the procedure once again, but same results.
After doing it a second time I had really laggy graphics due to the dGPU not being supported in Catalina, but after running dosdude1's dGPU disable program it went back to normal again, but still with the high temp present..

Forgive me for any bad grammar, but English it not my native language.. (;

Edit, I have now reinstalled Catalina on another SSD but the problem remains..
Is there anyway to revert the dosdude1's mod?

hello, like you my English not so good - Did you do full reinstall ? Try that, but back your stuff up and do a complete clean install. I have a 2011 15 inch and though my Radeon chip never have me issues, using Dosdude’s app does the trick to disable it. Sometimes it comes back up again, but the performance isn’t really that slow, to point not able to use it.

Reactions: alexguasta

uMBP17"

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2017
hello, like you my English not so good - Did you do full reinstall ? Try that, but back your stuff up and do a complete clean install. I have a 2011 15 inch and though my Radeon chip never have me issues, using Dosdude’s app does the trick to disable it. Sometimes it comes back up again, but the performance isn’t really that slow, to point not able to use it.

Yes, I did full reinstall, 2 times on 2 different SSD drives. Still no positive results..

BeatWilson

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2019
hey guys. i have a late 15 inch i7 16 gb ram 2011 macbook pro im am typing on right now. ive been looking at this thread on and off incase something happens to my computer so i can use the IGPU and use my computer to only make music.

I am on sierra, i have had 2 problems with my macbook in the past which i took to a "not official macstore" and they actually repairs it both times and it only cost like 100$CAD, maybe a tad more. Im wondering if this specific issue happened to my computer in the past and thats what i was getting done.

remember the first issue was something the guy would call a "screen tear" were the screen split making 2 images with out of whack colours. He just had to glue something back into place i believe. The second time the computer screen went entirely blank and they put a new chip in somewhere like the logic board. so maybe i have already gone through this and its been fixed once? not sure...

One thing i do know is this computer does run hot. I have a new 16inch macbook pro here next to me was gonna use for video editing, djing, and music production but now im thinking of returning it and just keep using this 15inch 2011 macbook pro for djing and invest into a new custom pc.

its like i could keep the 16 inch for a highhh price... like yeah its expensive.... Or return it and build a specced out custom pc with a ryzen 9 rtx 2070 64gb ram, etc etc....

Can someone tell me if the problem i went through sound like this one? thanks.

Fluttershy34

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2019
Hi guys ! :)
I manage thanks to your guide to make my MacBook boot again, working like a charm. The problem is that everytime (or almost) I shutdown my MBP, I have to do all the way again, either by cmd+S and doing it in MacOS Shell or using ArchLinux, both ways work, but it stills reset that setting after reboot. Is there anyway to make it scriptable and running at the very beginning of the boot ?
I wonder what causes this issue, and I'm a very very new Mac user, as I have always used Windows. I'm used with console commands as I used Linux for some things where I needed a Terminal.
If anyone has an idea, I'm taking it ! :)

Granaten82

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2017
Just tried this and it works

Cost me $10
Did you remove the resistor? Can you confirm if the brightness controls works in catalina with this method? Also bought it but im hesitant to remove the resistor.

Mir Muhammad Mustafa

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2019
Karachi
There is... Wrote all about it on my thread here. This is the best solution, by FAR, for this issue currently. I am in the process of developing a custom board to use instead of the bodge wires, which I should get working relatively soon. Once I get this board done, the permanent gMux IC bypass will be MUCH easier to perform.

@dosdude1

I have disabled my gpu mistakenly by entering this
nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00

how can i enable back?

buzzwindrip

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2018
Wisconsin USA
Hi guys.
I used the MikeyN guide with login hook to get my 15" 2011 MBP going again. I have used this successfully since applying the guide a year ago. The one issue that seems to recur is random hanging on shutdown, which requires me to let the battery deplete before I can power on again. I was wondering if others have had the same problem, and if there is a workaround to avoid this. Any info appreciated.

Runvast

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2019
I can't get passed this white screen, have tried SMC and PRAM. Can't boot into single user mode or anything.

Attachments

• IMG_1429.JPG
    IMG_1429.JPG
    327 KB · Views: 304

alexguasta

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2019
Hi! I have mb 15" 2011, I did this

Captura de Pantalla 2019-12-23 a la(s) 17.12.25.png

then re boot, but the MB showme this

IMG_0721.jpg

what can I do?
Sorry for my english, my language is spanish
Thank you in advance

Kenjutsu

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
Hi guys.
I used the MikeyN guide with login hook to get my 15" 2011 MBP going again. I have used this successfully since applying the guide a year ago. The one issue that seems to recur is random hanging on shutdown, which requires me to let the battery deplete before I can power on again. I was wondering if others have had the same problem, and if there is a workaround to avoid this. Any info appreciated.
This sometimes happens to me as well. With shutdown, all open programs/windows are closed, and the screen turns black, but the mouse stays responsive. From here the screen turns to a console/terminal to show the final shutdown steps.

When I see this, I know the shutdown will complete within, usually, a few seconds. However, if I do not see this, and only the black screen with the mouse pointer, I know it will not finish shutting down. I then just press the power button until the MB turns off :confused:

Last edited:

nuri87

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2019
===

First of all, it is possible to successfully boot a MBP to OS X while still using the failed GPU, after you remove the AMD drivers by booting in command line mode (CMD+S) and entering these commands:
1) fsck -fy (to check a disk)
2) mount -uw / (mount a root filesystem with read/write permissions)
3) sudo mkdir /AMD_Kexts/ (make a directory to store the AMD drivers in case you'll need them in future)
4) sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AMD*.* /AMD_Kexts/ (move the AMD drivers)
5) sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/ (remove the AMD drivers cache)
6) sudo mkdir /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/ (just in case OS X will be dumb and will not recreate this directory, I am creating it for OS X)
7) sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/ (to update the timestamps so that new driver caches - without AMD drivers - will be definitely rebuilt)
8) sudo umount / (umount a partition to guarantee that your changes are flushed to it)
9) sudo reboot

Hi i am using 17 inch macbook pro late 2011 i tried to do steps but something go wrong, when i try to boot, it enters macos mode and try to access AMD kexts drivers, is there any possibility to undo this procedure moving AMD_Kexts back to where them belong :)

Last edited:

sdroch

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2019
Hello !

I'm using a 17" MBP early 2011. I tried nearly (all?) manipulations advised on this thread, none of them worked : the computer boots, chimes, but the screen remains completely off. I saw a 2 or 3 posts of people facing the same situation, but couldn't find answer to their problem.

Does anyone have an idea ? It would be miraculous !

Fenderman2

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
Did anybody successfully upgrade to Catalina using dosdude1's patcher and a defect Macbook with AMD GPU?

I have a Late 2011 MBP and think about updating to Catalina. But I fear, that after updating I won't be able to boot again. So it would be great to read some reports.

Reactions: bun

aroom

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2014
Did anybody successfully upgrade to Catalina using dosdude1's patcher and a defect Macbook with AMD GPU?

I have a Late 2011 MBP and think about updating to Catalina. But I fear, that after updating I won't be able to boot again. So it would be great to read some reports.
I've been using it a while without big issue. as I couldn't implemented the usual temperature mitigation code my mbp was running a bit hot, so I decided to continue on high sierra

Arnas Bartulis

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2020
Hello !

I'm using a 17" MBP early 2011. I tried nearly (all?) manipulations advised on this thread, none of them worked : the computer boots, chimes, but the screen remains completely off. I saw a 2 or 3 posts of people facing the same situation, but couldn't find answer to their problem.

Does anyone have an idea ? It would be miraculous !

Same here... sometime with "chim" screen is black, sometimes without "chim" only coolers work. But if I'm lucky to make it boot fast, EFI method for turning AMD dGpu is ok :) Sometimes it boots from the first time, sometimes it take 5 tries in row to succeed. I've noticed that if you leave and give time to heat up for some minutes, then turn off and immediately on, the screen comes on and mac boots normally.
And when booted it works stable. I'am using it for home audio recording studio. (15" MBP, 2011)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.