Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freyr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2002
When do you expect that Formac will release a full HDTV resolution LCD monitor with specs comparable to those of its existing product line? Before or after Apple gives us a 19"? Later this season or sometime in 2003? How about Sony or other likely competitors?
When Apple eventually modifies its LCD offerings, are the specs on the 23" likely to get even better, or will they just introduce a top quality 19" and (presumably) drop the 22" and 15"?

I am eager to buy a dual 1 ghz Mac, but I need a monitor to go with it and plan to wait until Apple drops the price substantially on the 23" or someone delivers Formac specs in an affordable widescreen. Aesthetically, I like the Apple LCD screen enclosure better than Formac's, but screen specs rule.

Hope I won't have to wait so long for this that then I'll feel obligated to wait on the next post-MacWorld speedbump too! This is endless.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
formacs specs blow away Apple LCD specs, and the looks are extremely similar. I doubt that when apple brings out a 19-20 inch LCD, that its going to compare with formacs current offering, the 2010 and its insane 600:1 contrast ratio. you find me a better monitor for $1700 than formacs gallery 2010. the only thing that makes mac LCD more appealing to powermac users is their rebates. without the rebates those monitors would just sit on the shelves.

tyler

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Apple's LCDs are in sore need of revamping.

While their overall quality is good, their specs are more competitive with LCDs from last year than current technology.

I've been waiting since MWNY to see a new line released with some significant price drops...I'm still waiting...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'm really impressed with the 2010, and when I get my new system next year, I'll probably get a pair of them - cheaper than one Apple 23".

Hopefully this competition will get Apples rear in gear and get a better value for the money on LCDs.

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
I don't know what you call HDTV specs, but the specs of the formac gallery 2010 seems pretty state-of-the-art to me. They run at 1600*1200 on a full digital interface with excellent contrast and fantastic colors. The screen enclosure is pretty close esthetically to the Apple's, and they are way cheaper.

I don't know what's going to come out of the revamping of the Apple line of displays, but for the moment the Apple screens don't stand the comparison with the Formacs (i know i use a dual 2010 configuration).

Nico

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
i agree

about the price drop needed and the contrast ratios, but I still think the cinema displays appeal to me more because of the widescreen format.... if formac did a widescreen version, i'd be all over it.... of course it would then cost near as much as the apple displays... the format is what give it the high price.

technocoy

Freyr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2002
HDTV

Yes, the Formac 2010 does have a lot going for it. If Apple doesn't give us something comparable or superior soon, I am likely to go with that, and I wouldn't buy less than that.

What I had meant as far as "HDTV" widescreen was the full 1920 x 1080 pixels (or 1920 x 1200, as Apple chose for its 23", leaving room for a toolbar) that is the maximum resolution of the HDTV format. Presumably, this is going to become the most relevant standard for displaying imagery throughout the early 21st century and would let my upcoming computer monitor purchase do double duty as an HDTV display in the years ahead.

PyroTurtle

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2001
10 Minutes from Disneyland
once you've gone widescreen, there's no going back....
at least in my opinion...
and yes, for those that keep asking, i DO have two g4 powerbooks, a 400 and an 800....
if someone gives me a good widescreen LCD to buy that is less than a powerbook, i'd consider parting with one of my ti's and getting a tower...but untill then, i'll stick to my dual powerbooks...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.